Monthly Rewards?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by licemeat, Jul 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

I seem to have read/imagined somewhere that there would be monthly rewards given to the backers. Each month the reward would no longer be available to new backers like the Darkstarr rewards. I'm not sure if I'm crazy but now I can't find that information anywhere. I'm not sure if it was just for the Darkstarr items that would be limited. If anyone can post a link or supply info that would be great!

Jizmakpiston likes this.
  2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I THINK it was just the Darkstarr stuff but I could be wrong. I don't think it was ever mentioned more than once and I think that was either a dev chat or a email update? Pretty slim information..

Edit: It MIGHT be that they just haven't decided or announced what the reward incentives are going to be for each month. In which case we'll find out in about a week or so.

licemeat likes this.
  3. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Well, the answer is that we will have at least one new item each month.
    I asked Stephen Daniele about this in the Markee Dragon hangout, and he confirmed it.

I'll try to find a link the the original announcement.

Skip to 47:35

Edit- Adding this video in which Richard Garriott mentions the monthly specials as a way to get people to join as soon as possible. This is the first I heard about it. Skip to 44:30.

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

ah that would explain why I don't know that much yet.. if it's in video I haven't seen it yet. Data limits byte big time.. I'm about 2 weeks behind on videos right now.

5. Sir Frank

Well, what I always like to say is: "There's nothing wrong with getting a little behind!"

Jizmakpiston and Beno Ledoux like this.
  6. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

Ahhh..thanks a lot...that's been driving me crazy trying to find this. I appreciate your time...and memory! At least I know I'm not crazy....well as far this game goes. Thank you SIR FRANK KC!

7. dallas

dallas Co-Founder Emeritus Dev Emeritus

We are experimenting with limited time offers, and the Darkstarr promotion is the first one we've done. If the community is receptive to these offers and feel they are receiving value and fun/desirable content, and the effort doesn't interfere with our development of core game features/assets, we will offer more of these on a regular basis. Our goal is to have new special offers on a monthly basis, sometimes including them in existing tiers, sometimes including them as add-ons, sometimes doing both.

8. Maximus Katse

Maximus Katse Avatar

@dallas

I don't think the community reception is going to be a problem :D

licemeat, Umbrae and Koldar like this.
  9. Grogan

Grogan Avatar

Dallas, here's some feedback.

1) Although I like the moondial and the planetary thing...they're really just extra stuff that my character (playstyle) may decide looks horrible on his lawn. Therefore, they don't really factor into my buying decision as much as they would if the rewards were something more tangible and interesting to my character. I think a much better incentive would be to offer something that almost everyone will desire...for example a horse. Almost everyone would want a horse! But this is just an example and I realize that there are many factors that must be considered (coding time, design impact, cost, you probably sit around a table doing SWAT analysis' for hours before even daring to dream of something like this...).

2) I've bought into the idea of this game and what it could be. But I'm poor. So while I'd love to slap down 11g's of my hard earned money, I can't. Nor can I put down 3700g's..I really shouldn't put down 1600 and if my wife even thinks about me putting down more than about 100 I'm going to be deep trouble. Plus, did I mention that I'm poor? The point I'm trying to make is that people with little means need more time than a month to put together large amounts of cash. Although I dig the monthly installment plans, I'd really like a little more flexibility than that. So I don't think it would be too much to ask for you to honor the monthly incentives as long as I buy something "anything - even $10" by July 31st. That way I can still upgrade at a later date and be included in the monthly incentive! The way I figure it, I don't really have an extra $550 on me today, but I might have it in the next six months, especially if I have "incentive" to obtain it. Just a thought.

BillRoy likes this.
  10. Beno Ledoux

Beno Ledoux Avatar

Mulheim-Karlich, Germany(Texas Transplant)
    Aye, I'll second what Goblin King has said, I love these perks, and while I know I can't get them *all*, nor will I want them all, there are some times where notice given is just a bit to short or the offer is a bit quick to go.

I have... "outside factors" that may cause me to drain my bank, against my will (as in, I have NO choice, think medication, for example, last month it was a .5mg shot(about the size of 3 or 4 teardrops) that cost well over $7000 and had to pay a large sum of it in advance), whereas if I knew a bit in advance or if it were left a bit longer(let's say for original backers, as an exmple) I would/could "budget" it in(or attempt to).

Also, as Goblin King stated, I may need to bribe/blackmail/earn brownie points/con the wife into "letting me."

Just a bit of feedback. I know my situation is rare, but surely there's others in a similar boat as I.

Thanks in advance,
    ~Beno

BillRoy likes this.
  11. SirBoss

SirBoss Avatar

well I agree but don't A horse is to much. maybe a pet or a special color item or a blue sword. nothing to help you in the game over other players.

12. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

I have justified the $500 (founder pledge) in my head. I figure that each expansion would cost at least $50 and you get 5..so that's $250. A house on launch day.. I feel comfortable paying at least $200 for that. Naming an NPC after my wife, which I hope eases the pain when she sees I paid $500 to a man named "Lord British" on the credit card statement, I would pay $50. So that is $500... plus you get all the other bonuses not to mention there isn't a monthly charge. If there were it would be at 10-15 dollars a month for the life of the expansions... The cost sounds like a lot, and it is, but in the long run....well... it isn't that much.

13. Sir Frank

My mother named a dog after my father. He wasn't as flattered as you might think.

skinned and licemeat like this.
  14. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

Yeah...she won't be flattered about the NPC either... She'll be impressed for about 25 seconds after I bug her for 5 minutes to look at my monitor.

Koldar and Sir Frank KC like this.
  15. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

From what I was told as long as you pledge by July 31st if you upgrade later you'll get the items. On top of that you'll get every monthly item that falls under the tier you are in when the game is released. Correct me if I'm wrong FireLotus.

16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I think that's about how they've been doing things so far. Look at us KS backers.. we had no idea this stuff would be coming along and we're still getting them. We even get to up our pledges at the original prices for a whole year I think it was.

licemeat, Koldar and Link_of_Hyrule like this.
  17. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

Well the thing is unless it's a physical item they aren't losing any money by giving it to us it's simple a matter of setting a flag on our account and saying we're suppose to get it in-game.

licemeat, Jizmakpiston and Koldar like this.
  18. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

About true enough. It doesn't hurt that they can sell the items in the store for a little extra cash either. :)

Jizmakpiston and Koldar like this.
  19. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

Yeah I'm hoping to shirts and hats and other physical items sold in the store.

20. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I think it was Chris who suggested a t-shirt for backers saying something like "I backed this game and all I got was this lousy t-shirt".. personally I'd love a SotA t-shirt and maybe a mug or something.. Oh.. a medieval style SotA mug.. heh that'd be pretty sweet.

TEK, Miracle Dragon and nightshadow like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.