The New SoTA Solo/ PvE / PvP Slider - Check it out

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Duke Crachazz, Feb 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke Crachazz

Duke Crachazz Avatar

Exactly, and I made a slider design in hopes that people would actually click the slider buttons and not think it would just be an image of 5 buttons :p
    Yes, that is what my post is about, addtions to the game modes.

My suggestions works the same way, except that you have fine tuned settings in Multiplayer online that allow you to more granular set your pvp preferences, and a whole new game mode for us open pvp folk, yes...
    So that everybody would get what they want.

And my suggestion is building on their way of doing it, these modes/settings/ideas could be integrated in their way of doing it, it is not a suggestion for a completely new way of doing the game modes in a "crisp" way as you said.

It is not a suggestion for a complete set of game modes with all the "grey interconnections" you mention.

It is a suggestion how the PvP part of these modes could work, so that everybody could co-exist, and the hardcore folk everybody is so scared of would play only with their kind if I can say that.

So again, the slider I made was just to give a visual representation of my ideas... And it could be integrated in any way or form...

2. Skalex

Skalex Avatar

@Joviex - Find where I said I want a 90/10 open PvP ratio.
    Find where I said I don't want PvErs to not be able to have their game.

I am so tired of being misunderstood.

I think when I have some time, I might work on that document. It might help to have the ideas in one place as you say, since a lot of posts seem to be completely ignored or misunderstood or even just made up.

3. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

Let's say you and your guild are all PvP and another guild is PvP. Let's say also your friend Bob who is not in a good is also PvP and pks on a regular basis with other independent pvpers. When the system reads your flags while sorting it'll either put you in an already existing instance with other pvpers or create a new instance with people with the PvP flag enabled. The system does this not because you logged into a predefined PvP game mode but because you are actively participating in this type of activity on a regular basis. The system isn't perfect but it's better in the long run for everyone. Because I'm not actively seeking PvP it's lies likely I'll never see a player that is but that doesn't mean I never will.

4. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Reads to me that there is a large portion of people who want to eliminate PVP altogether. Then you literally advocate for the opposite in the last line:

So, instead of the first part, a world without PVP, or just "a few peppered" hexes, you want the opposite a "full PVP world.... (with) some fully protected hexes"

Sure the numbers are made up, but its pretty apparent your intention.

I don't even care either way without a really fleshed out idea/system (even from the developers). So getting those ideas written up are a great starting place both for clarity and future, positive discourse.

Link_of_Hyrule likes this.
  5. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

Now you might be thinking how do I turn on my PvP flag? Well you go to am area marked dangerous and you continuously engage in PvP or you join a PvP Guild after a while of not pvping or being in a place that would flag you you'll return to normal status as a non-pvper. But if you keep participating in PvP the system will sort you with others that do as well.

This is how I understand it will probably work. No actual visible toggles in the interface only invisible flags enabled by how you choose to act in the game. So if you want to join the red sashes feel free to be so inclined but we can't guarantee your safety from Avatars that choose virtue over dishonor.

vjek and Margard like this.
  6. Skalex

Skalex Avatar

It's a poorly constructed piece of text what I wrote in that quote.
    I'm saying not everyone against PvP in here is entirely against any form of open PvP but a lot have been and it bums me out.
    In the second part I am saying I don't feel like the odd peppered PvP zone is a good solution to satisfy open PvP.
    I am not advocating against purely PvE world if that's what people want because I bought this was going to be a game for everyone.

Your made up numbers are quite far from my intent and I will say again what I said in my last post, quite clearly, that I would personally be satisfied with a 50/50 ratio. Ill even concede to 60/40.

I always look forward to positive discourse.

Joviex likes this.
  7. Skalex

Skalex Avatar

Anyhow, Until I hear from Devs, I'm gonna lay low. Hope for the best. Should have a post in 3 weeks max or so..

8. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

I love how my three posts explaining how the system will probably actually work were completely ignored. Anyways good luck in your open PvP endeavors I'll wait till post R4 to see what happens.

9. Skalex

Skalex Avatar

Link, your posts were liked by some, read by an unknown amount of others. Chill mon.

If it works how you propose, I don't think there can even be PKs.. No Bob.
    Will killing in the Open PvP hexes be considered murder since everyone walking in know they risk being attacked?
    Also, if we don't have an option to openly PvP, people will be able to "murder" or PK unconsentualy. Therefore Bob in your posts cannot exist.
    Example: You and I both accept to go into the open PvP hex.. (Is there a toggle accepting to be put at risk when entering? I don't know..)
    Now, I am assuming, that we can now both attack each other, even tho we are both not in a PvP guild..
    If I attack and kill you, do I get a a murder "Bob" count? If you attack and kill me do you get a "Bob" count?
    Do we both not get any counts since we are in an open PvP zone?

As far as being sorted by gameplay, I agree it could work that way.
    But since I don't think we will be able to have PKs, Bob, (as I understand the system so far, which is nothing but guesses by anyone really) You will be sorted by if you participate in consensual PvP or not. You will see other PvP guilds if you are in one and less people who don't. Overtime, this may lead to something like what @Owain is proposing. He is just proposing a fast forward, which this slider would provide as well. It would save us the time of having to play for a long time and let the game "sort out" those who want to PvP.. This could be accelerated. (Some people would seem to be happier the sooner PvPers were sorted out of their existences.)

In the end, whether Bob can exist or not.
    I believe well distributed hexes, are the solution.

10. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

PVP defaults and other questions answered ? (Dev) Replied

How does your slider fit into this design? The slider detracts from the story driven aspects of SotA.

11. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Fantastic. The company should hire you and give you an important post.

This is by far the best idea I've seen, GOOD WORK !

Thanks U Man !

They better change their position on the essential issue of PvP.

12. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

or..... WHAT?

Pretty certain that SotA is their game and they can choose to make it however the want it to be. The only 'consequences' there will be is success or failure, as defined by THEM, once the game is released. If they feel that success, as THEY define it, is more likely with PvP being one way instead of another than so be it, that's how they should, and hopefully will, make it.

Time Lord and Joviex like this.
  13. Duke Crachazz

Duke Crachazz Avatar

It does not detract from the story driven design?

He himself also talks about a slider in the text you quoted? What's the problem, as I said,
    the essence, can be integrated in ANY way, if it's a slider, code, a checkbox, in the game,
    outside the game and before login, after etc etc

And PS: Even if the slider would be integrated as-is and essentially you would end up with 5
    game modes that work in a way that you play only with other people selecting this mode... The
    story driven aspect you like to mention, would still work the exact same way. I don't see how it
    would not.

Again, I don't understand why the resistance from you or the other two that like to protest
    against anything open-pvp (non-consensual).

When you play normal multiplayer you would still have the grey interconnections and non-harsh filters Joviex
    liked to mention, that allow you to
    play with anybody, no matter how their filters are set... EXCEPT the open-pvp people (Those
    would be the only ones the game filtered out and you would never see).

In multiplayer online, everybody would still play together ... minus the open pvp people.
    If you set your filters to "ask me when another player wants to fight me" you get a popup window you have to confirm if you want to fight.

Another person that plays in the same hex as you, might have set his filter to "never ask me if another player wants to fight me" so he will never be asked if he wants to confirm to fight after another player tried to attack him (only if the game requires it then because of your story driven aspects, in certain areas or at certain times or however that will work) and so on and so on.

It's not that hard, right?

But in the essence, this would allow everybody to play together, better.

Abydos likes this.
  14. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Yes, RG does mention the word slider. Are you sure you are grasping what he is talking about?
    He is saying that SPO/FPO/OPO is a slider, that's the easy part to fix if it's a problem, it needs to be play tested first. He then goes on to draw a mental picture of how he sees PvP from a store driven perspective.

Again, are you grasping what RG is trying to accomplish here? He is trying to remove the boundaries between PvE and PvP and allow PvE to be drawn in, IF they choose.

Adding more levels to the slider is adding more boundaries. A hard line that the story will not be able to cross.

Listen to RG, he has a plan to create a game that handles PvP in a much more inviting way than any game has done. Get players to come out of their comfort zones by showing them something work going after. Then showing them an entertaining experience.

The slider is counter productive when it's handled by the story and player choice.

Joviex likes this.
  15. Duke Crachazz

Duke Crachazz Avatar

Ok I updated my post above while you were answering, yep I think I'm smart enough to "grasp" his post, thanks :)

16. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

So then you can see how drawing a hard line with the slider is counter productive to the story driving incentive to cross over to PvP.

Joviex likes this.
  17. Duke Crachazz

Duke Crachazz Avatar

so you didn't read my updated post above eh?

There is no hard line, I'm not sure how else to explain it to you guys, really.

My slider design just showcases the different game modes you also just mentioned to which RG himself also refers as a slider with which to choose your game play mode!

Then in my example when you click the button, you see additional social/fine-tuning settings I suggest for the game, so that multiplayer is consensual only and nobody has to fight that doesn't want, while other who want to have fully consensual pvp everywhere, PLUS a new game mode for us open-pvp folk which would be enclosed yes (because that you can not handle any other way, because real OPEN-PVP can not go along with how RG envisions the "slider" and social settings/filter in the game to work... Because OPEN-PVP means you can attack/kill anyone anywhere at any time, it has FULL-LOOT etc etc. And we are still hoping we will get the game we were hoping for, so people are making suggestions, like what I did.).

So in essence, again, it's a suggestion how we could all co-exist in the same game.

Is that really so hard to understand?

18. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

That stuff was already mentioned by Chris as the function of the match making filter in the first place. Friends > family > guild > PvP > level > etc.

Joviex likes this.
  19. Duke Crachazz

Duke Crachazz Avatar

Okok... So yeah, then what is the big argument about Ristra? It's all the same except we get an open-pvp mode, so everybody is happy.

20. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Amazing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.