1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Vendor Buy Orders Search

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Tirrag, Sep 6, 2023.

1. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

This hasn't been wished for in a while but would still be a huge addition to the game... especially for newer players looking to gain GP for their efforts. Currently I keep a document with active buy order vendors that I have found during my travels that I relay to newer players struggling to find ways to make more GP.

There are lots of ways this could be implemented but I think the easiest would be to leverage the existing vendor search. Not by adding buy orders to the existing search, but to clone it and update the clone to list buy orders instead of sell. I know this is over-simplified but:

1) Clone vendor search and UI to Search Vendor Buy Orders and add menu option.

2) Update the cloned search routine to pull buy orders instead of sell orders.

3) Make any minor UI updates in the cloned UI to support display of buy orders instead of sell.

Some advantages to this implementation:
    • Makes no updates to the existing vendor search
    • Could leverage a lot of the existing vendor search code and UI
    • The navigation to the vendor would most likely not need any updates and would work as-is
    Yes duplicating code is bad and hopefully some of the underneath code was written with reusability in mind, but even with the worst-case scenario I think the benefits of having this feature far outweigh the drawbacks.

Jakkal, Wilfred, Sentinel2 and 6 others like this.
  2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Most excellent idea........ +1 :)

Wilfred, Tirrag and that_shawn_guy like this.
  3. CICI

CICI Avatar

+1

Wilfred, Tirrag and that_shawn_guy like this.
  4. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

If it was that simple it would have been done since a while :p But no the code can't just be copied like this. I've spent a couple day on it and did some work but didn't add the buy order right now.
    It's still on the list and eventually it will get in.

Jakkal, Wilfred, Adam Crow and 6 others like this.