Whats the point?

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Veylen The AenigmA, Mar 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

In all these coins and items LB is having made to give to the community or charge for. The only one i can see use in the map. It seems like extremely uneccesary expenditures. All my collectibles just gather dust and take up room. Is there any plans to offer something useful? I couldnt justify buying something that has no use. It seems to me the funds from crowdfunding could be better spent doing sethig like lowering the cost of plots. Or hiring new staff. Basically anything of value. I just dont get it. Seems frivalous.

2. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Talk about trying to make an issue out of nothing.

Time Lord, Dhimmi, tradyblix and 4 others like this.
  3. Owlbear

Owlbear Avatar

I think many of us who remember the glory days of big-box computer games full of trinkets tend to hold the opposite view. The option of physical trinkets certainly made a difference to the initial tier I selected, pulling in more money for the project. Having a few trinkets made is relatively low cost, while an appeal to the nostalgia and urge to collect that many of SOTA's backers demonstrably have looks like it'll more than justify that expense when it comes to generating turnover.

Dhimmi, Kuno Brauer, NirAntae and 9 others like this.
  4. Amaranthus

Amaranthus Avatar

Please. You've been filling the forums with negativity the past two days. Seems to me like you took a pause from the forums and are now back with a vengeance to hassle those of us who look forward to this game. Ignore the swag and give us a rest?

5. Veylen The AenigmA

Actually ive been rather nice. Its a legit question. Why do you assume its negative connotation i just asked if there was a poit to them that i missed. Like some sort of collective game or something or collect x amount and get x prize. Sheesh and you wonder why i get hostile. Just look at your replies.

If u cant stay on topic then dont bother posting. If you dislike me that muc theb dont bother readig

6. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

It's really not. You're complaining about something that gives a lot of other people pleasure that you're under absolutely no obligation to purchase.

Like I said, talk about trying to make an issue out of nothing.

Tarsin, Time Lord, foobard and 7 others like this.
  7. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I still have most of my trinkets from the Ultima games and consider them important. I would have all of them if I avoided having kids who liked to dig through my stuff. Useful might be a stretch, but I find these items very important and are part of the legacy LB has contributed to gaming. Collectors editions are all because of the old days of Ultima and the tarot card, coins and runes.

The reason the crowdsource money is being spent on it is because this is what they said they were going to do before they started collecting money. Go figure. If you don't want them I am sure you can find someone willing to take them off your hand.

8. Alayth

Alayth Avatar

I don't understand your argument - the trinkets you say are useless are a way of generating funds. Then you say the funds could be better spent doing something else. Are you under the impression that these trinkets are costing more than they're pulling in? Because that's almost certainly false. They're either a way of getting people to buy stuff (the profit margin going into the game development), or ways of rewarding users that have been contributing (encouraging others to contribute as well).

Dhimmi and acrylic_300 like this.
  9. monxter

monxter Avatar

The coin has a use, you can flip it!

Dhimmi, smack, Flip and 1 other person like this.
  10. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Well, let's see.
    The items in the merchandise/add-on store are being sold for profit, so they're a net gain.
    The physical items provided as pledge rewards were budgeted, so they aren't frivolous. Maybe you aren't interested in collectibles, but surely you recognize that many others are.
    The other items being given to the community, such as the ONBE medal and the Royal Warrant plaque are being given to members contributing to the community and providing assets for the game that Portalarium would otherwise have to hire people to provide. So, that's not so frivolous either. It's a tremendous savings.

Dhimmi, Kuno Brauer, smack and 7 others like this.
  11. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Lower the cost of the plots??!?

They are too cheap already! I say stop the sale of the add in store plots and restore them to full price.

Too many postings using the sale price of the add in plots when comparing those to pledge levels which use the full price of the plots.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

I want a King Size cloth map to cover my bed and use as a comforter and make sweet love to...I mean on :)

My avatar is a macro photo of a Lord Blackthorn action figure and is some serious swag that came in a UO box. Swag is good!

Lained, smack, foobard and 3 others like this.
  13. Veylen The AenigmA

So
    they are just like cracker jack box trinkets ? Or happy meal items or something? Ive been buying pc games for long long time all i got was manuals.

Wheb i ordered UO it came with a map which i used to clean dust with.

14. Veylen The AenigmA

Ya cuz the last thing we need is even fewer customers having to shell out more for in game contet when ts already extremely limited. No one can argue that the money cant be better spent elsewhere since obviouslg usig ks indicates an inability or lack to get funds

15. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

You made my day!!! :)

I have that figure. Pretty cool!

I have a need to collect SotA stuff - bring it on!

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Too cheap? And they go up in price on the add-on store as the quantity goes down. But there is no "restoring them to the full price" because they were never full price to begin with.

FYI - they only put 100 lots in the store for town and 87 of them are still there. If the price has NEVER been more than $450, the price is $450.

17. Mitch [MGT]

Mitch [MGT] Avatar

Don't feed the trolls!

NRaas, Dadalama and Lord Baldrith like this.
  18. Owlbear

Owlbear Avatar

If you like. Or they're like the feelies I give out to my RPG players when I'm GMing a Paranoia campaign - they're a nice memento and help with a sense of immersion and suspension of disbelief.

I suspect that I may be a tad more ancient that you.

Nah, the UO map had that nasty stiff plastic '90s t-shirt print finish. You want finely embroidered microfibre for optimal dust management...

Dhimmi likes this.
  19. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

Personally, I really miss the old "big box" PC games that came with all sorts of goodies. I remember when I picked up Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor in the big box and it came with a full length novel, a velvet bag of RPG dice, a full D&D module, soundtrack CD and a beefy instruction manual. What a score! What do you get with games these days? You're lucky if you get a PDF manual you can download with your digital copy. Times have changed and developers of today are more likely to charge you a monthly fee or nickle and dime you on DLC than give you a fun collectable or t-shirt with your purchase.

I for one appreciate that Lord British is staying true to his heritage by offering up some goodies and swag that compliment the game. It's a long lost tradition that needs to be revisted!

Time Lord, Dhimmi, NirAntae and 4 others like this.
  20. Veylen The AenigmA

I bought a nintendo rpg that came with a manual the size of a novel i giess that was my trinket. Warrior something in 90s. Was insane i doubt i was the only kid that gave up on that 300 page manual. I guess the reason i dont get its purpose is ive never gotten one. I assumed usually they be inferior quality

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.