PvE Housing Adventures - your thoughts on player housing

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Horton Irongate, Apr 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Horton Irongate

Horton Irongate Avatar

In preparation for tomorrows Housing Deep Dive, I thought I would post a long running idea that I have been working on;

I believe many players would enjoy having quests, adventures, PvP and PvE inside or around our own housing lots. Lets face it, many of the pledged homes are perfect for defense..... I want to see a Knight, Lord, Duke or LoTM get some use out of those battlements!

UO housing was an awesome way players could earn and decorate their own 'part' of the game. It was something we cherished and loved about the game. It kept people together, allowing for guilds and groups to meet in a previously unprecedented manner. While Guild warfare was always exciting, working them the other gulid to coordinate the storming of their Keep was even better... I believe this will easily be recreated within SoTA. But why not take it to a whole new level? Why not allow players to do more with their homes, such as hire NPC guards to protect against a NPC theft attempt or attack?

The idea of in-depth player housing first came to me after playing Neverwinter Nights II and the scenario where you are promoted and given a derelict Castle/Keep to rebuild. Each choice during this part of the game decided how the ultimate defense of the Keep would turn out. Since I played that game, I have searched high and low for a game that might expand this idea further. LOTRO has player housing, but in the end it was only a hollow setting for a money sink..
    A game that combines all the elements of - RPG, castle/home ownership, defense building, host a vendor and the simple ability to decorate, all in an ONLINE multi player environment is unknown. Is there hope in SoTA?

General ideas and rules for depth of player housing could be:
    -ability to craft or add defensive items such as traps, ballista's, etc.
    -hire NPC guards or archers
    Adventure ideas such as (insert imagination):
    -hired by the local lord to hide a rare artifact from would-be thieves.
    -quest lines that cause retaliation from Bandits, monster tribes, etc. Where retaliation could take the form of midnight visitors (attackers) at your home when you least expect it.

This is just the tip of the iceberg on ideas. What are your thoughts of how we can improve player home ownership and make it more than a static vendor location?

XXX

Time Lord and Jivalax Azon like this.
  2. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

I think this idea has some interesting possibilities. Not sure how something like this could be implemented, but player generated content is always nice. A large guild house (or significantly large player house) with a 5 story basement, could be large enough for some simple adventures. Two waring guilds could have fun giving out missions to anyone to hunt down enemy guildies. Interesting. I think this is not an E1 issue, but I'd love to see it sometime.

Annavas Azon and Time Lord like this.
  3. Horton Irongate

Horton Irongate Avatar

This can be done over a 100 different ways. I was trying to keep it simple by saying: If I kill enough Red Sash Bandits, why not have them come and pay me a 'revenge visit'? We will all be in our homes decorating or crafting from time to time. It would be nice if my servant comes and tells me there are men outside demanding an audience or "Sire, three nasty men came to the house asking for you earlier", leading to an attack in my foyer or front yard later. If I could stand on my Knight home battlements and shoot them with my Iolo's Crossbow, then that would be very cool.

Time Lord and Jivalax Azon like this.
  4. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

Hmm, I actually assume some of that will happen. Placing a house will cost a great deal, and take up a valuable portion of land. We have been told that cities, towns and villages might be sacked. (With cities being the safest - tesla towers and all.) So I assumed our houses WOULD already come under attack at some time. But, you are talking about expanding this on a personal level. I can see some appeal. But, if you can simply shoot them from the ramparts, it seems there might be a reward (XP loot) with little to no risk. Conversely, I doubt anyone wants NPCs kicking in our doors and attacking us without warning. There is potential here, just not 100% sure what it would look like in game.

Annavas Azon and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.