Crafting Pavilion

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Rufus D`Asperdi, Apr 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Fine dignitaries of Portalarium;

Have you considered making a wood or stone Pavilion like structure available that could be set up on a lot as a house?

I just bought a Village Lot during the Anniversary Celebration and was pondering what I might do with it. I'm a Royal Founder Knight, and likely to find an out of the way corner of the world where there may not be central services. I thought I might use my extra lot to set up a crafting pavilion such as the one in Owl's Head for public use.

Might such a structure be made available?

Thank you.

2. Root2

Root2 Avatar

I had asked Darkstarr some time back about this very thing, adding shop and pavilion type structures for us crafty folks. His reply was that they would look into it that copying already established NPC houses and structures and adding them in for player housing shouldn't be difficult or time consuming.

It gave me hope but since then I have seen no mention of further developments or decisions. Maybe this thread will remind them.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  3. Sundews

Sundews Avatar

It sounds like you want to be out more in the open. You can put crafting stations on the roof of the Knight house, too.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  4. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Yes, but if I wanted to let anyone use them I would need let random people in my house.

That's unlikely to happen.

Time Lord and Jivalax Azon like this.
  5. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

You can drop crafting stations on the dirt and let people use them that way.

What it sounds like you are asking for is just a raised decking of some sort that could be used in many other ways than just crafting. A modular set of 2m or 4m square raised platforms of different heights plus some steps to place would be awesome.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  6. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Yes... but that lacks a certain... aesthetic.
    What I'm asking for is something akin to the crafting pavilion in Owl's Head, which is essentially a raised wooden deck with a roof, railing, and a short stairway up onto the deck. I could envision many other uses for such a structure. Being a general use item, without a specific purpose should make it more likely to be implemented.

7. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

I love the idea. First in that it would be a "public" structure, which seems a very charitable thing to do and so why not allow it. Second the versatility could be very nice. It doesn't have to be full of crafting stations, it could be a spot to rent vendors or maybe chests? Whatever the owner desires really. Good idea. And since the model already exist, not too much coding to make it PC available.

8. Hazard

Hazard Avatar

My personal thoughts are that multi-crafting areas like the pavilion currently nullify any specific use (outside of gathering quest dialogue and purchasing specific goods) for NPC structures in the game, and I was hopeful that this central area was only set up for Pre-Alpha Testing purposes for easy access. I don't have a problem however with multiple copies of 1-2 types of stations in a specific area (e.g. if a town is known for a certain craft/trade). If a player is ultimately able to set up their own mini-pavilion it should likely require some hefty maintenance costs for the heavy use that it will likely receive.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  9. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Tip jar chest.

Hazard and Jivalax Azon like this.
  10. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Yes... That was my intent. Or, use my vendor to advertise the service and solicit donations, assuming vendors can be set to accept donations.

Not sure how the nullification of NPC structures would be undesirable, but if you read my original post, I intend to set up in some out-of-the-way village that has no such central services, and set up my newly aquired lot as a public service. As pointed out previously, this should be possible without a structure, but a structure in which to place the crafting stations would be (at least to me) more aesthetically pleasing.

Why do you see a need for player created public services to require maintenance above the norm? Do you feel that player created services should be discouraged? If so, why? The whole game, from what I've heard Richard and others say, is to be geared toward everything of use, beyond the minimal starter items, being crafted by Players for Players. What's the rationale for putting obstacles in the path of that goal?

11. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

If it is not readily available, simply put in a book saying donations help with upkeep, then sell something like a log for 50 gp. (Or whatever) I would buy a donation log every time, just to use the stations. But, that said, a drop box would be nice. People could donate cash or crafting stations. Even mats maybe. Have to see what the options are.

12. Hazard

Hazard Avatar

First thing – I've been a longtime proponent of player-run services, buildings, and communities, so am on the same page as you in that regard. I don't see my viewpoint as being utterly discouraging, just slightly limiting for a few possible reasons.

I went back and re-read your post, and while I'm not totally against a limited crafting pavilion, I think it should require several players to set-up if you are trying to create a larger open resource for a player-run setting. Even then I do think a decision needs to be made on what few tables should be the professional focus based on a main town resource specific to a region or maybe something like the overall economic vision of those community members who lead the town/village/guild-run area (if such an official designation will be made). Heavy maintenance needed for a table due to a large amount of citizenry using it seems natural as a table should realistically wear down with use. Perhaps the cost would be in a skilled worker repairing it with natural resources found in the area... thus generating more teamwork and community spirit in that player run area. A secure tip-chest would also be great. I'm just of the mind that socialization and collaboration should unlock more opportunities in the game then a solo player should, as has seemingly been hinted at through our one-character limit and subsequent talks.

If player pavilions were placed in towns with NPC structures I foremost would like to see players help operate the NPC structures in some way, and if not, I do think players should also be slightly limited in making super-centers that nullify the vision behind the initial economic set-up of a certain town as determined by the devs. I want to see players traveling to or settling in different areas based on what profession they are interested in or need specific goods from (e.g. a town is known for blacksmiths, another village - carpentry, etc), or even to deliver certain area-specific goods on a economics driven courier-style quest. Perhaps resource nodes will help with this differentiation between towns, but I guess time will tell. Also, public crafting tables in NPC-centric towns should wear out to the same degree, creating rallying points and an opportunity (amongst others hopefully) to feel help connected to a specific town.

I know this is not UO but in regards to the NPC building angle I'd be very sad to see a repeat of town buildings (mostly) becoming empty husks that are generally not entered except to obtain quest info and a world that sees a majority of players generally sitting around in one town that has the newest game-features and that seemingly operates as a super-center (see Luna in UO for a prime example, but moreso in that game due to easily reachable player malls surrounding the tightly grouped NPC vendor hub).

Then again, its very possible I'm over-complicating/analyzing and players would be better off doing whatever they'd prefer with crafting stations in an unlimited sandbox style. ;)

13. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I think a simple solution is to only allow middle and upper tier crafting stations to be sold to players. Make the lowest level ones be the only ones potentially available in the town square. That will mean that the lower level crafters will have to go to the main area to craft and they will never be empty.

14. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Is the intent for lower level crafters to only be able to use lower level tables and tools?

Time Lord likes this.
  15. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

It is my understanding that you may need the higher level tables for crafting higher level items. Maybe they only make it easier or more likely or better. I'd have to go back and see if anything was said during the crafting hangout last week.

16. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

As I understand it higher level recipes have higher numbers of ingredients. Each bench has a limit on how many ingredients you can put there and the number of ingredients a bench can use is directly proportional to the level of the bench.

A 2 story stone building with rooms for benches would be really nice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.