The Forge! (My First 3D Modeling Project For SotA)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Monkus, May 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monkus

Monkus Avatar

Hey guys!

Today in the Dev Chat Chris inspired me to start working on my 3D Models with his answer to my question!

I will request that not too many people reply to this thread since at this point - "The Forge" has no textures and I would really prefer if I could have the pictures with and without the textures pretty close to each other.

All assets were modeled in Zbrush (http://pixologic.com/) and then placed into Blender (http://blender.org) these 3D models have doors and windows that are rigged to open and close with basic animations in place! And based on what chris told me earlier they should all be easy to implement into SotA if the Developers like it enough!

Without further ado:

http://monkus.carbonmade.com/projects/4809777#1

There is a link to my project I will continue to update it! I should have all the textures done by 5/18/2013!

2. Holt

Holt Avatar

These are quite skilled, and I'm happy that you emailed me about the Minecraft project, too! Can't wait to be a part of a team with you in some creative capacity! :)

3. Monkus

Monkus Avatar

Update!

Sleep is for the weak and uninspired! Haha well anyways I did all the exterior texturing... Also textured the interior, and made a bunch of small assets and also textured those...

I have the models ready to be imported into basically any program! They have no restrictions towards commercial use at this time!

Here it is!
    http://monkus.carbonmade.com/

I have interior shots all in OpenGL preview, no shadows or rendering of any kind.
    The exterior is OpenGL single and double passed.

All the models were made with Zbrush and then modified in Blender.

Fell free to comment as much as you want now! This project is basically done.

If there is enough interest I will make some Sculptaris (Free version of Zbrush) to Blender (Open Source Program) tutorials so you guys can start creating great 3D content for free! Let me know if there is any interest.

4. Monkus

Monkus Avatar

My next project will be an Armory in the same style as this Forge or Blacksmith.

Slightly dark and packed with smaller assets...

Then I really will need some inspiration from the community so please post ideas below for me to model!

5. Holt

Holt Avatar

Awesome!

6. Minoc

Minoc Avatar

That looks great.
    Very nice models and great textures too.

I like the thatch roof, and all the stone bump mapping.
    And the sword looks good too :)

7. Archaaz

Archaaz Avatar

Born and raised in Texas. Currently in India.
    Really great stuff, Monkus. Looking forward to more.

8. G Din

G Din Avatar

Nice work !! You should stick to Modeling , debating Currency and Servers .... not so good.

LOL... Gunga Wins Again ! (TM)

9. Monkus

Monkus Avatar

Hey thanks guys!

I am diligently working on my next project I go back to work on 6/3/2013 so I have about 2 weeks to hash out as many models as I can!

I am working on an Armory now, to compliment the Forge.

10. Hazard

Hazard Avatar

Excellent work Monkus. Since you are taking open requests, I'll throw in a medieval grist mill, although kind of a moot point currently since we aren't sure how preparing food is fully going to work quite yet. I just like the atmosphere and look of a giant waterwheel next to a stream/town.

Looking forward to your forthcoming models.

11. Monkus

Monkus Avatar

Hey Hazard!

Like this one here http://www.cruzine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/029-natural-architecture.jpg ?

Are there any pieces that are on an Industrial Age Grist Mill that would not be time appropriate to a Medieval Grist Mill?

I looked at the basic workings would this be the time appropriate mechanism? http://www.engr.psu.edu/mtah/photos/millstones/faversham_mill_1.jpg

12. Hazard

Hazard Avatar

Right Monkus. That first link is a great example. I've also seen some enormous ones (akin to Syria), but definitely like the classic bridge, and even partial dam with water spilling over the top next to it. Some of the mechanisms looks like Rube Goldberg inventions from the diagrams but that looks like a pretty straightforward example.

Here's a page (Pinterest..argg), which has a lot of visual references in one location:
    http://pinterest.com/ukiahyaya/the-old-grist-mill/

Giant Syria wheel (not sure if gristmill or more of an aqueduct):
    http://cvincent7.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/syria_water_wheels_hama.jpg

We do know there may be a dam of some sort (possibly in a town to the NE), based off an old video or chat session (forgot exactly which specific one). Would love to see a town based off these old water technologies.

Anyway food for thought.

13. Monkus

Monkus Avatar

Hey Thank you!

I will definitely put this on my list, the visuals are great! Thanks for all the resources it makes it much easier if I don't already have the image I was in my head!

14. Monkus

Monkus Avatar

Just posting this as a kind of FAQ:

I did not use anything from the Unity store actually I used some open source textures from blender then exported them to photoshop and then played with some custom brushes I made on photoshop until I get the look I want.

I currently work as a freelance 3D modeler... In truth I am terrible at texturing, I make up for many of my shortcoming with dynamic lighting.

I used to do database administration and as one of my main hobbies I sculpted clay, I had played around with Maya a few times and found the program such a hassle to actually model or do anything productive. Then Pixelogic released Zbrush which made 3D modeling fun to do and it is such a robust program with tons of features that make my work so easy.

So the things I used to make this were:

Photoshop CS3 (200$) (textures and other maps)
    Zbrush Zr5 (700$) (I do almost everything in here.)
    Blender (Free) (I do some small tweaks in Blender.)
    Custom Photoshop Brushes (source: myself)
    Textures: Blender Library (closed source allowed) or, Photoshop (Homemade)

This will not be showing up in the unity store, I will however upload it onto an FTP server or a webpage. I will likely source it under Creative Commons Attribution when I do release it to public use. Basically just credit me for the work I have put in and we are on good terms!

I already have a few more projects in the works! If you really want to inspire me build something simple in SketchUp or even Minecraft!

ETA on the next 1-2 models will be about May 27.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.