Are you truly Virtuous? (Please Read)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Monkus, May 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monkus

Monkus Avatar

Hey,

I am curious if RG would be willing to add another tier just above the Edelman Tier.

This would be titled something like "The Virtous [One?]" I am not well versed in the lore of the virtue system but I am sure the team could think of some rewards for it.

Basically make it about 600$ and basically all the same rewards as Citizen Level with some Virtuous take on it.

Then Portalarium would take 100$ off of each "The Virtuous [One?]" pledge and donate it to:
    http://www.feedthehungry.org/

I am not much of a Knight type of guy I do want to pledge more and something like this really would speak volumes to me. I think the game design industry and the entertainment industry in general needs to become less selfish.

Maybe it could be an add on to anyone's pledge level, lets do something different from the very start and help a truly virtuous effort.

"Now there is but one question.... Were do your Virtues lie."

Thank you for your time,

Scotty (aka Monkus)

2. Monkus

Monkus Avatar

The Charity doesn't really matter just needs to be something of Virtue.

I think most charities aligned with homeless, feeding, hospitals, water, etc... are great charities that always have a need.

3. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

My favorite charity is the bill and melinda gates foundation.

The problem with giving people free food is that it ruins their economy. Ranchers/Farmers can no longer earn a living, they stop growing, they become dependent on free food... it's a vicious cycle. We've ruined economies before doing it...

here is an article that explains it better than i can.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/24/when-food-isnt-the-answer-to-hunger/

Marvin likes this.
  4. Monkus

Monkus Avatar

Yeah, they have a point.

I make it a point to buy a cart of food from the local Costco every time I go shopping to donate to the local food bank. That is why I picked that charity.

I am a big fan of the Gates Foundation.

I have had a very personal experience with cancer, but I refrain from donating to cancer causes... To much funding in it right now money is much better spent in other areas. I like to donate to areas where my money can actually make an impact rather then just being a small decimal point.

I personally like rehabilitation centers... job corps, food banks etc. because they clean up "my neighborhood, I am no millionaire so my focus is usually local.

I think RG and SotA could really make an impact with Charity... they are much bigger than I am, and I would definitely up my pledge to that level!

5. Cadogantes

Cadogantes Avatar

I don't really see them adding new tier now. Besides you can always donate that excessive money yourself. It often raises questions when a third party do it, questions like "do they really put ALL the money they should into charity funds? DO THEY?". I've seen things like that and therefore I don't like the idea of "charity tier".

6. xanax

xanax Avatar

Bill gates is a wicked man http://vactruth.com/2013/02/26/rebels-shooting-vaccine-workers/

Random Fact of the day: MSNBC, actually stands for microsoft NBC

7. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

There are a number of stories that show that the Gates Foundation is doing harm as well as good (perhaps more harm than good).

http://www.latimes.com/news/la-na-gatesx07jan07,0,2533850.story

There are other reports the foundation has been used to strong-arm and stifle competition. Microsoft has negotiated with businesses that didn't use Microsoft exclusively and offered to use the billions the Gates Foundation invests in the stock market to invest in that business on the condition they drop competitors and use Microsoft exclusively.

The foundation is making a killing off the stock market, but only gives 3% annually to actual charitable goods (the federal minimum required by law) while pumping a bunch of money into harmful sources.

8. Matheryn

Matheryn Avatar

i didnt read through all the posts but did read the thread title - "Are you truly Virtuous?"

My answer to this is unfortunately not

my reasons are as followed:

Compassion: This virtue i can definately say i have reached the top as most of my actions even the unthought out ones are always compassionate

Justice: As much as i like the idea of justice i dont always put it into practice. I have a tendancy of knowing what i want and doing ANYTHING to get it

Spirituality: I have my own beliefs and dont try and push them onto others which i feel is a good belief to have but it tends to get on my nerves when others push there beliefs onto others so i cant say i have managed to fill this role to its fullest

Sacrifice: Unfortunately not. I tend to hate throwing things away, mind you im not a compulsive horder, i still like things to look clean but if i can find a hidden space where noone is going to look ill stick something i wanna keep in there even if i dont use it. Though in saying that i do give things i want to other people who are in greater need than myself

Honor: my honor is to a flip of a coin some times i have such a strong sense of honor and other times i can bend as easily as a twig

Honesty: this is one that i come close to the top on as i strive to always be honest and the only time that i do break the truth or maybe just bend it is when i need to tell a white lie to prevent someone else from being hurt

Valor: if the world was back in the medieval ages again id have to say id be a valorous as a knight - not full but not empty

So this sums up the 7 virtues and my scale on them so im not capped out on all of them so i wouldnt say im virtuous. Though id be surprised if anyone accually could say they were.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.