1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Navigation through New Britannia

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, May 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

Wow, stuff got ugly in here a bit earlier on. Missed that, we did.

Locking, pending cleanup.

Time Lord, rild, Khloec and 8 others like this.
  2. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

And okay, things have been cleaned up some. I would like to take a moment to give a shout of thanks to any and all who urged for a return to topic and/or an end to the divisive unpleasantness that characterized a few of the earlier pages in this thread.

Kindly resume discussing the map changes...in a kind and Virtuous manner.

Might I also suggest this as a refresher/brief training exercise concerning how to go about expressing your deeply-held opinions?

3. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

About the main topic: You have taken something negative and have turn it into positive. Some people call that "strength".

Time Lord and rild like this.
  4. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

While I agree that the overworld map was lacking a lot and was very stiff, I really loved the style; so charming and unique. I will be extremely sad to see it go if it changes completely. :(

Time Lord and Khloec like this.
  5. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

As a matter of personal preference, I look forward to a fuller and more vibrant view of the world such as was shown in the initial videos.

Cutout clouds and trees didn't really do anything for me.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Time Lord, foobard, Kaisa and 2 others like this.
  6. Sir Mike Dragon

Sir Mike Dragon Avatar

While I'm glad to see the change back to the previous map design, I don't like the way it was brought about. I hope it was the majority that wanted it back and not just the loudest. Legal action... really.

YKCSBBOBLG

Time Lord and NirAntae like this.
  7. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Im 100% sure that with tthe 3D map less people will run away from the game. And I think that even some people that (really) like it will think the same.

Time Lord and Mishri like this.
  8. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I believe that may be one of the reasons for the map trouble. When the 3D map was first shown during the Kickstarter campaign those of us who played the older Ultimas thought that the overland map would be like the overland map of those games. And for example in Ultima 4 and 5 it was no traditional map. It was a zoomed out view of the world in which you walked around freely, engaged monsters, camped etc. An interview with Richard Garriott right after the Kickstarter campaign, in which he explained what we would be able to do on the map, confirmed this. Also in some other interviews RG said that with SotA they wanted to go back to a dual scale map which also implies that the "map" was planned as being similar to the older Ultimas.
    Then we didn't hear anything about the map until R4 when it suddenly was similar to a traditional map. I think that some of you, especially those who didn't play the old Ultimas and maybe didn't read the interview, were of the impression that the overland map was supposed to be a more or less traditional map.
    The others were surprised about the different style and the lack of the announced features.
    And now we have this discrepancy of people thinking the map would be a map and those people who think that map would be more like in Ultima 5, a zoomed out view of the world on which you can actually do things and which is a significant part of the gameplay.

Time Lord and Saosis like this.
  9. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Excellent news. Thank you. If these same changes could have been implemented in the cloth map I would have found it "acceptable". One thing I'd like to know is, do you intend to give us bags/chat/skills.. basically, keep us playing our character when we are exploring the overworld?

Are there some gameplay issues we might not be considering that you would restrict some usage of our characters? Obvious one I can see is using skills, might not be possible, but to manage our decks and skills trees I'd think should be okay.

I think encounters sound great. I'm hoping for some rare spawn creatures that appear in the overworld map only briefly before then go back into hiding, you have to run over to engage them. Invisible encounters I'd hope are kept to a minimum, like we'll know to expect them in dangerous areas. I'd be fine if there are minimal encounters, I don't need to see wolves and skeletons all over the place in the overworld. but a wolf or 2 and 1 skeleton I think would be okay in our current area.

I'm hoping some of those encounters in the overworld will pull us into unique scenes not normally accessible in any other way. -some would be bandits attempting to kidnap you, some would be just unique in other ways, possibly contain rare-spawn harvesting with a tough creature fight that follows you through the entire scene till you kill it. (Or a rare tamable creature).

I think all of these types of things add a lot of great and fun experiences to our world. I see it as opening up a lot of possibilities. I understand if you can't promise any of these features for episode 1, but would like to know they are being considered, and hopefully we'll get as many as you can fit in.

Time Lord, Margard, rild and 3 others like this.
  10. Sergorn

Sergorn Avatar

Thank YOU !

I haven't hid my dissapointment over the new Overland Map so this news really rejoices me to no bound !

Take your time, we all want a game that works well and has everything we need even we need to wait a bit more !

(And whoever threatened legal action : shame on you, grow up and get a life!)

-Sergorn

Time Lord, OrionSnake, Saosis and 8 others like this.
  11. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

Really excited to see where this goes. I really liked the last map but wished for the paper popups to replaced with 3d styled models. Anyways would still really love to see something like this like people have talked about before where we get the zoomed out 3D world but as you zoom out it turns into the paper map.

shows it at 1:30

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

They also can still keep the idea for a future skill of cartography.

13. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

I'll be honest I really only read the op of this thread. Anyways can't wait for R7 :p

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

I cant but lament all the work that will be now put on overland map and taken away from other game mechanics/systems/etc... and it seems that making the 3d map really takes *effort* so thats alot of effort away from other things we so would like to see on release date of EP1.

I could have lived with the cloth map, now I just hope that in some miraculous way Portalarium pulls this off. But I guess ppl now get what they like, hopefully remembering this sacrifice when some other feature will not make it in (and not go again on the ramparts with torches over the next matter).

So! Who wants to slap in some more cash so we can get all the feature creeping in? (I maxed my CC allready) :)

Time Lord and Noctiflora like this.
  15. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

You are making it sound like they are diverging from the original plan...if anything they are back on track for the original plan ala kickstarter. I see no harm in that...and would rather have them fully flesh things like this out so it isn't skimped on.

16. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Excellent news. +1.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

Anyone see this yet.. Not by me but I just saw it on YouTube.

Time Lord and Mishri like this.
  18. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

That is a map like you'd expect to see if you pressed the M key in most games. It isn't means of movement. So I'd be great with it being simply a map. As long as I'm not expected to play my game in that environment.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Valice Belgraham

Valice Belgraham Avatar

I wouldn't say the cloth map is dead just because the world view went back to the original KS design. I personally think the cloth map looked great, but argued that it should have never been used as the world view for the purpose of a dual scale world.

The cloth map design should be kept for the purpose of an actual map for reference, cartography, and treasure hunting.

20. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

So, they should to do this in a cheap and fast way?

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.