Lua Addons?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pjt15253, May 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pjt15253

pjt15253 Avatar

So in a lot of MMO's they allow player made addons for the GUI and some quality of (game) life tasks. For example, in ESO I made an addon to auto-ignore gold spammers. So my question is, are there any plans to allow something like this in SotA? Either by means of a Lua api or a macro system of some sort. Pure curiosity of course, and by no means a deal-breaker for me.

2. kvothe

kvothe Avatar

I was wondering the same thing, if we would be allowed to dig around and see if we can modify the GUI or track data. Hopefully we'll get a response here.

3. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

I have really mixed feelings on this subject. On the one hand, I understand the desire for conveniences, like in eq2 they allow the eq2 map which is superior to the in-game map, etc.

On the other hand, one of the things I absolutely detested in WoW was that it almost became a requirement to use add ons, especially for raiding. Raid leaders would reject participants who didn't use this, that, or the other add on. Anyone who didn't use add ons, for whatever reason, was at a serious disadvantage and looked down upon. And in the back of my mind was always the possibility that one of these times, one of the 2397 add ons will turn out to be a malicious program.

My gut feeling, tbh, leans to not allowing them at all. But again, I understand the desire for them and there are definitely some very nice & useful ones. I guess maybe if they're strictly policed by Portalarium and tested and approved before allowing use, that might not be bad.

Maka likes this.
  4. Maka

Maka Avatar

Hi all :)

I don't think you're going to see a scripting engine for R1. Maybe not even ever.. there was a point when Chris put it out there either in writing or a video that it was a lot of work and completely different than their current setup.

Personally I'm really against damage meters, rare finders and all the other crazy addons I've seen. Things like the EQ2 map mention if it really was better than the original then the devs should have made it part of the game and not an addon.

All that being said I know people LOVE their addons. ;)

5. pjt15253

pjt15253 Avatar

I agree with the sentiment completely, Noctiflora. They would have to be very careful with what information is exposed via an API. Though given the communal nature of this games development, I'd say an add-on system of some sort would be generally beneficial to the game. Again, though, so long as they don't allow things that effectively become "required."

Noctiflora likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.