1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Darkstarr's Release 8 Impressions + R9 Update

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jul 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Owain

Owain Avatar

No biggie. I just didn't see reagents mentioned at all on the page, so I was curious. Maybe it's in a previous page.

2. jay_rab

jay_rab Avatar

"Magic will now require reagents to cast spells at full strength (current thinking is you can still cast without reagents but the effectiveness of the spell is reduced for each missing reagent)"

How is that fair to archers who have to deal with if you dont have arrows you lose.

I might be ok with some of the less combat focused spells to not have to use reagents but things like fireballs and rooting should always have to require base reagents like a bow requires arrows no matter what so that they stay stuck in the same boat as the archers.

3. Vendetta Beretta

Vendetta Beretta Avatar

One way to look at it is that reagents might cost more than arrows over time. Although it would be nice if we all just had fists. ... well we all have fists but maybe we can use them.

4. draykor darkale

draykor darkale Avatar

Are we going to be able to form bigger parties, we had issues with our events because we kept attacking each other :p

5. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

And in my humble opinion, they need to find an original way to separate magic spells from skills such as innate, supernatural, etc.

6. Sweetmcpwnsauce

Sweetmcpwnsauce Avatar

Yeah I would say reagents should be a requirement but I could see not needing reagents for spells but I think the spells should be significantly weaker so that players can't compete in PvP or like boss fights our even semi strong monsters. Or even have reagents required for any offensive or defensive spells but for passive spells like "light ball" not require reagents. <];D

7. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

I hope they have books and scrolls too.

8. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

As much as I like mages I have to agree on this, being able to cast root or any stuns without reagents would be just lame It would mean anyone not even friendly to pvp could help gank lets see what the devs got up their sleeves on this one

9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

It will use more focus... It will have a greater chance of spell failure.... we don't know what other limitations it may have... anybody can get the spell not just pure mages... blugeon users can do the same thing with 3 differnt stun skills without reagents...

Just wanted to throw that out there.

Lord Spaz likes this.
  10. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Based on the hangout they did it sounds like you'll be at a big disadvantage without reagents... basically you wont want to use a spells that uses them if you don't have them. The cost will be way too high to be effective, you are better off using other spells. To be competitive in PvP you will use reagents and spells that require them. Without reagents or spells that require them you'll use a lot more focus for the same or similar effect (1/2 the damage for the same focus cost, so you cast 2 fire arrows to make the damage, but now you spent double the focus if you had used fireball - just as an example, not real numbers)

11. Mercyful Fate

Mercyful Fate Avatar

The only time you'll ever catch me without reagents is immediately following my dead and looted body. I would assume the same with archers and their arrows. Manage your inventory and don't bring a knife to a gun-fight, silly wabbit...

fantalio likes this.
  12. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

Honestly reagents have always been the biggest downside to any ultima game ive played. They say if its not fun they dont want it in the game but i dont know anyone that consideres spending hours hunting or farming for reagents to cast a couple of spells very fun

13. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

That's okay, I will be happy to sell you the finest, freshest and most potent reagents... for a small fee! :D

licemeat likes this.
  14. Sweetmcpwnsauce

Sweetmcpwnsauce Avatar

But, having reagents will help economy growth. Since you obviously hate farming for them I'm sure others will farm them and sell bulk on there vendors. <];D

15. Gretchelle

Gretchelle Avatar

Every RPG game that I have ever played including D&D, Mages/Wizards have always been formidable foe's especially at their higher levels. Their spells only get more and more powerful as they progressed in level. Therefore reagents are a must! You play you pay!

16. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

So mages should be adequately more powerful than melee since they require nothing other than repairs

17. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

I would think so too but seeing as the fighting system works so far, magery will be mandatory for warriors as well

tekkamansoul likes this.
  18. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

I don't know if every character NEEDS points in magery (besides Focus) but I really like the idea of more and more hybrids. I don't think many MMOs do them well. In the majority (WoW, Rift, TOR etc), hybrids get relegated to one of the holy trinity anyway depending on their spec (and if they underperform compared to the non-hybrid then they are "balanced" by giving them an additional res or some nonsense).

Having individual skill sets and energy management for each class in MMOs is a bad thing. When all characters share the same skill sets people are able to fill in holes much easier. (And the glyph combat system helps)

19. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Gathering is what I do, I use a sickle to gather, isycle. What do you do.

20. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

well from what Ive seen in R8 magery is the only way to heal yourself yet I dont know if alchemy, cooking or any other mechanic can hlp you with that

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.