SOTA Opening Cinematic

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sirius Sternwarte, Aug 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Ha! Yes, I saw that too. One day it will be a relic of early 21st century culture as people look back at the game 100 years from now.

CaptainJackSparrow likes this.
  2. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

I didn't want to say anything negative about the Space Bards' song, as they did a great job, the best Space Bards song I've heard yet, great job, and it isn't easy cranking out a masterpiece, so while everyone wants a masterpiece like Stones, it may not be possible to have a masterpiece cranked out in time for SOTA, it's ok, we have to make due with what we have, masterpieces can't be cranked out they are created in a very organic natural way, can't be forced, so if an alternate theme song is available it would be great but if not it's not the end of the world. I liked the intro overall, a little one too many shots of the illuminati eyeball, maybe a little more focus on the shattered moon, or maybe a stone henge like structure w/rift gate or something but overall it was good, keep up the great work.

3. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

I appreciate the Ultima feel of it, but it didn't have quite the draw that I was hoping for. I wish it was more compelling.

In the words of my wife... "That was weird. It doesn't make me feel like I've learned anything about the game; just a bunch of pretty words strung together."

4. Schmidbauer

Schmidbauer Avatar

Enjoyed the music, a few more visuals maybe could of been added from things that are going to be included in the game. Pretty sure they can wedge those things into the video intro before final release. Warhammer online intro comes to mind how they added some of the player classes from the game. Be cool if they did that here in some way. All in all the atmosphere
    seemed to be there, and is good base to add more things to if they decide to in future before the release.

Gaelis and blaquerogue like this.
  5. StaticGrazer

StaticGrazer Avatar

I enjoyed it. +1

Gaelis likes this.
  6. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

Also for those who aren't aware, Stones was never an intro piece for a cut scene, it was one of the many songs in the game(s) :) But if we all want another Stones, it is easy. Follow the Stones' Iolo (@DavidRWatson2) on Twitter, he has said when/if he gets to 500 followers, than he'll write another piece for Shroud of the Avatar!

Gaelis and Razimus like this.
  7. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Watching the intro i wasn't drawn into the game at all, if i didn't already know what the graphics looked like in game, i would've probably saw the intro as boring. It my honest opinion, i see all these new games coming out and the intros they have are much more enticing than the one here. Looking at the opening video i probably would've passed on the game since it really didn't show what the game was like. so i would say add some in game play, maby have some...

"players fighting a monster or two, switching from one scene to the other, 2 characters fighting off some kolbolds, switch to a crafter making armor, switch to a party attacking each other, switch to a party fighting skeletons and the Lich!" end it with, "which path will you choose, what adventures will you seek?"

from that point on (not knowing already what the game was like) it would've enticed me to go out and buy the game on the spot! But it was kind of boring looking, and i wouldve just passed on it! Thats just my opinion.

8. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

I've followed Iolo for years, so yeah everyone follow him, heck he can get 500 followers in 1 day if he joined the #teamfollowback lol, to get legit non-teamfollowback followers it ain't easy, but it'd be great to hear him make a new song for SOTA!

Gaelis, Sir Cabirus and AvatarAcid like this.
  9. Greyhaven

Greyhaven Avatar

Really good from 1:02 onwards. I think it looks great.

Not sure about the monochromatic Harry Potter start. Should not show the face of the player as that alienates female gamers.

10. Mata

Mata Avatar

I did it!

Miracle Dragon, Gaelis and AvatarAcid like this.
  11. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

LOVED IT!

I loved everything about it.

- Music was great!
    - Story was great!
    - Narration was great!

Gaelis and StaticGrazer like this.
  12. Fried Okra

Fried Okra Avatar

I enjoyed the opening cinematic and found it to be simple and effective. However, I dislike the animated pieces of the still drawings. While the illustrations themselves are of good quality, the animation applied looks pretty bad.

Greyhaven also makes an interesting point about isolating female gamers by showing a male player during the opening moments of the game.

Kaisa likes this.
  13. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

Honestly, the cinematic should have ended with the guy falling through the portal and entering New Britannia...
    ...and instantly getting PK-ed by Insanemembrane!
    lolpwnedn00b!1!1!!111!!!

:p

14. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

:rolleyes: I'm picturing a random PK (not saying any specific names) who will probably attack somebody, and then come back to the forum on some an alt (because I'm pretending that person is probably banned), and complain saying He got killed by somebody he tried to PK because the game is broken some how. Then that guy will likely blame a certain guild (say, MGT470 as an example), for some strange reason. Then the people of that guild will be bewildered, and wonder if this guy is for real, or trying to make some kind of joke that nobody seems to get.

That's the type of scenario that your comment brings to my mind.

15. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

Lol - paranoid much?
    But seriously, that's not an unrealistic scenario. Forums can become quite toxic; and if one were to judge a game/mechanic/etc. by forum whiners, then yeah, EVERYTHING is broken in one way or another!

16. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Great job team. Loved it!

Gaelis and Ned888 like this.
  17. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Interesting reply. Are you insanemembrane? That name isn't particularly famous, here, or anywhere. It's not like a bunch of people are saying, Oh hey watch out for that insane... whatever his name was, guy?

So you brought him up because you either remember some strange lightly publicized antic, or you're him.

Kaisa likes this.
  18. Gaelis

Gaelis Avatar

I like it alot, well done :)

Sir Cabirus and Ned888 like this.
  19. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

The infamous Insanemembrane lurks these forums incognito...
    ...is it me?
    ...is it CaptainJackSparrow?
    ...is it BillRoy?
    ...is it Dane?
    ...is it Darks?
    ...is it Wagram?
    ...is it you?
    ...is it...?
    Ah yes, suspicion runs rampant! But it matters not! It will only matter once the game goes live and EVERYBODY, including Air marshal Owain, will be constantly looking over their shoulder as soon as they step out of a safe zone, knees knocking uncontrollably together fearful for Insanemembrane is going to pk them from behind that boulder over there (points to the left), or from behind that tree over there (points to the right), and loot them of their favorite chair!
    MUHAHAHAHAHA! LIVE IN FEAR NOOBS! YOUR DAYS ARE NUMBERED! DOOOOOOOM LOOOOOOOOOMS!
    Btw, Isaiah, you've gone off topic, this thread is about the cinematic.
    >.<

20. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Yes you're right. It could be anybody. It could even be Derium, Heaven forbid! It would be such a loss of honor for somebody as famous as Derium to be involved in all this.

Let's get back on topic. I'm sorry for the deviation. 1000 pardons. let's move on here... nothing to see here folks... let's move on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.