SPO and SP Offline

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rune_74, Aug 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Margard

Margard Avatar

:D

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Trenyc like this.
  2. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

How would a save state impact/coincide with the evolving story and dynamically changing hexes?

If you are playing the game > save > log off > they push changes to the world > you log back on > load from a save : what happens to the changes (applies only to SPO not offline)

3. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I consider this bad MMO design, shouldn't be an issue if they took a little time for content to be less static.

4. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I don't think they can. That's why I've always said the single player experience will most likely have to sacrifice the save/load feature in order to make the mmo side work. If I'm very lucky, they might include a save feature for offline play, but to be honest, I don't expect one.

I was saying I want a save/load feature and that I like them, but I don't really see it happening.

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  5. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

So Docdoom you sound alot less angry about the fact you sold all your backpack in one click ? :p

6. Gix

Gix Avatar

It can really depend on how the dev is utilising instancing and phasing. Done properly, if you kill an NPC, that NPC is dead in your phase/instance alone. For those who haven't killed that NPC, he'd be "merely abscent" if these people are groupped with you... so as to not break your story.

How do you handle balancing with companions? You limit the amount of people you can have in your party (like it most likely already is). So if you can have 5 or 6 people in a group, it'd be any combination of players and NPCs/Companions alike. Obviously, in single-player offline, you'd only be able to have NPC companions. You'd just be at the mercy of the AI. It's not an uncommon practice.

Like I said before, the oginal GuildWars did these things already. The only thing it didn't really do was dialogue with the characters... I mean, companions did speak, but nothing you could really engage in.

In the case of NPCs, GuildWars has two sets of NPCs: Henchmen and Heroes.
    - Henchmen were all AI controled (which did amazingly well) and had their own set of skills that leveled up as you progressed through the story. If your group was short on a melee fighter, you'd bring "Little Thom" along and he'd appropriately bash some skulls for you. Their aggressiveness is dependent on that particular character; some being more passive than others.
    - Heroes were AI controled as well but you were able to set basic behaviors (Hostile, Defensive, Passive) and you could direct where each Heroes should run to instead of merely following you around. The real bonus was your ability to equip them and set their skills.

GuildWars is an MMO, by the way... You know, since we're on the subject of MMOs preventing single-player.

Ever had to share all the details of your road map with client(s)? You speak of adding to it as you develop. Here's the thing, you can't add to it if you're not there yet in your development cycle. Meaning all you have is that generalized idea you had when you pitched your game... meaning that's all you could communicate to your client(s).

Ever heard the phrase "We'll cross that bridge when we get there?"... I suppose not. Speak up all you want... it's not going to do much; that proverbial bridge isn't even in sight.

I wasn't trying to shut anyone up, I was trying to tell you guys that you shouldn't be worrying too much but I might as well leave you be... no sense trying to reason when you're all like this.

Thank you. You're one of the few that doesn't see me as some kind of threat.

7. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Yeah. I'm over it now. I do hope they have a "you are selling a backpack which contains items, are you sure you want to do this?" screen when the game is in production. Because that would REALLY suck for a character you were keeping. ;)

Joviex, Margard and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  8. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

IT'S DANGEROUS TO GO
    ALONE! TAKE THIS.
    /\ ☺ /\

Margard, Ahuaeynjgkxs and docdoom77 like this.
  9. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Vade retro Gixanas !!!

[​IMG]

10. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

And I gave up on the game because it didn't focus enough on PVP. :)
    Guess I should of realized earlier on that things like criminals, looting, stealing, trapping (such as the exploding chest), poisoning (such as poisoning apples and leaving on the ground for others to eat) and the PVP that made UO fun would never make it here.
    Albion Online looks like it may be fun. I'm thinking of trying that one out now.

Joviex and Margard like this.
  11. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

ironic isn't it... I can't give up on the game cause it reunites so much of my childhood heroes and inspirations :) with the current MMO aspects being introduced which aren't very directed towards our player niche while we obviously are one.

Ahem, my syntax sucks so bad these days, uf, I hope you guys realise I post forum style, that means I just type what comes up to mind and click post... I usually re-read myself only the next day. I know that sounds bad on the surface but I'm totally the target demographic for this niche game, so I need to be without censorship and just let it flow. I've cut the water supply now so don't worry the debit is going to slow down unless someone funny turns it back on again that is :)

So yeah it looks like I'll have to look elsewhere for my detective roleplay games... another irony is that I'm a very loyal player in the sense I follow creative currents and not my comfort. All that was needed to convert me in a full time fan without any plans to establish home elsewhere was to tell me that sometimes, maybe in 3-4 years (yes you read that right I'm that patient) we would have our Siege Perilous.

I would have even understood if they told me the game first needs success to fund said siege perilous, which would basically be a slower and smaller version with tons of limitations on advancement which make startgame so very fun. (yay I found my first real steel sword, took me a week but at least it wont rust so fast)

But right now I'm faced with haunting silence...

Joviex likes this.
  12. Greymarch

Greymarch Avatar

It really sounds like a lot of people are jumping the gun about things.

Retro likes this.
  13. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Wait, what? Who says this is not possible?

These skills haven't been detailed yet have they? Where is the criminal system mega post or the post stating that there is no criminal system?

Trenyc likes this.
  14. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I'm going to take a huge leap and say he meant a justice system that replaces consensual PvP. ;)

tekkamansoul and Trenyc like this.
  15. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Are you saying I, of all people should "hope" ?

Accusing people of not thinking out what they feel, thats probably going to help Greymarch... right...

All thats required here is ONE dev, saying that maybe in 2 years we'll have those things released. That dosen't put peoples expectations up too much and at least gives us a sense of how much is in the funnel.

16. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

At first I was laughing, then it all backed up in my throat.

Guys stop listening to THOSE guys, some of us have genuine solutions and are being ignored or left in the dark MAYBE unwittingly, I understand the us vs them mentality but its easy to prevent instead of HEALING.

Joviex likes this.
  17. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

I was the leader of a Guild Wars guild for more than 6 years and so I'm very familiar with Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2. Someone here just mentioned the henchman and the heroes of this game and underlined their presence in a mmo - perhaps to show that companions already exits in online games. But the Guild Wars henchman, as well as hereos, are brainless pets without any background, dialogs and private life - just for support one in fighting. They are a very good example what Companions - in an Ultima manner - not are and what I don't wish to see in SotA!

Vyrin, Ned888, Joviex and 4 others like this.
  18. Gix

Gix Avatar

If you paid close attention, you'd know that those NPCs did have individual back-stories. But that's not even my point; I was answering a game-play question, dude...

The question was "How do you balance the game with people that use companions and those that don't?". So tell me, if you can, what you're argument has anything to do with what I'm saying?

By the same logic that some here are using for the idea that single-player stuff is being neglected. If they haven't heard or read anything about the info, then to them, it doesn't exist and it isn't planned and, therefore, have a need to express their sentiment on the issue.

You know, because it needs addressing...

19. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Consensual PvP non consensual PvP would be 2 different topics. Consent doesn't not remove the listed features.

But of course I am sure you right on the money.

docdoom77 likes this.
  20. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Everything needs to be address. Time and patients is all it takes. Discussing the topic is great, turning things into a "the sky is falling" type thread is not.

redfish and Gix like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.