broadcast from mortal online players (what they like on pvp and sandbox full loot world)

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by baronandy, Oct 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baronandy

baronandy Avatar

JasonDark and Papa Woody like this.
  2. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

There is a following for this kind of game. The question is, how big. My gut feeling is that, when considering the potential player base as a whole, it's a small niche. And I think the relative populations in Trammel and Felluca drive home this point better than I could ever explain.

BTW, if there was a transcript I might read it, but without one I'm not going to listen to the podcast. I hate the format, and unless I have a really strong reason to listen to a podcast I will do my best to avoid it. Part of it is due to how hard I find to actually understand spoken English, given that it is not my native language; part of it is due to how I prefer reading over every other way of receiving information, to the point I typically don't see movies based on books simply because I know beforehand that I will enjoy the book a lot more.

Sir Cabirus, Montaigne and Net like this.
  3. baronandy

baronandy Avatar

maybe because starvault , dont have that much money behind them, but i have seen so many people in mortal over the time but a lot coudnt handel some bugs it had it the past and still ahve because of the small team , but mostly people installed it because of the loot and crafting

for excemple this here life is feudal

people want a full loot mmo with super advanced deep crafting in an mmo so th4ey buy this yo demo to support the mmo

http://www.pcgames.de/Verkaufs-Char...h-Platz-1-der-aktuellen-Steam-Charts-1137685/

http://www.playmassive.de/mmo-news/...-65-000-verkaeufe-via-steam-early-access.html

64.000 sold copys , for an expencive early alpha game (7k people playing it every evening at the same time) dont seems to be such a nice who want that , nearly all players and friends i know from real life who played uo liked it because of that.

or take rust as an excemple sold prety well aswell (ok its no mmo)

JasonDark likes this.
  4. baronandy

baronandy Avatar

just give the game freedom , that pvp and pve people get separated depending how they are flagged in different instances and only meet in town

5. Jynx

Jynx Avatar

I'm amazed at how much Life is Feudal is like Wurm Online. Especially the terraforming. Copy and paste almost :eek:

Margard likes this.
  6. baronandy

baronandy Avatar

or mortal onlines spellbook.... coped excactly from ultima online every spell , the flagging system , the skill sytem , the precharge spell sytem

life is feudal the mmo is also inspired from ultima online the devs told so and gloria victis is also developed and inspired from ultima aswell.
    what i like about these games, that they are developed all by gamers and mostly they know better what people want , and all played uo. no big company come with a game which is like uo so they do it themself as small indie companys

anyways i dont think its a bad thing to copy over good working mechanics from other games. i wish sota would have coped more of the origianal ultima mechanics

7. Jynx

Jynx Avatar

I didn't intend to make it sound like a bad thing. I'm just amazed.
    With so many millions of people out there, these games tick the same boxes again and again.
    It's like bacon. Amazing that no one has managed to do something better with pork! :eek:

Arianna likes this.
  8. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Hah, for once I may agree with you...that I wish they copied more of the original utima mechanics and not the ultima online ones.

You keep rehashing your arguments in multiple threads for things such as life is fuedal which you think is only popular for the pvp aspect where I stated I was interested, but not at all for the features you thought were so important.

9. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Rust, a good game? So that the reason why they losing so many players.. http://steamcharts.com/app/252490

Thing is with Life is Feutal that you really need to live really close to the server or the combat simply don't work.

Remember that SotA are not a true MMO and is NOT a sandbox game.

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  10. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

Not to put too fine a point on it, but if....
    1. SotA goes and copies the loot and PvP mechanics of Mortal Online or Life is Feudal, and
    2. it is the presence of these elements that primarily gives Mortal Online and Life is Feudal their appeal,
    ...what is to prevent people from simply ditching SotA for Mortal Online or Life is Feudal anyway? I mean, why would people flock to the imitator instead of what is being imitated?

11. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

As both games are under development no one can say who jumped on the correct horse.

Of course if you are a former Ultima Fan and try out Life is Feudal you are instantly confronted with how much of Ultima Online Spirit is in there or they will be trying to implend. I am testing it and the moment i did chop a tree i did get a notification of 2 skills going up 0.01 each. You instantly think of Ultima Online.

They will make one world, make it full loot and open PvP, no Instancing.
    That is the plan! And they will do realistic fights.

Thinking of what i have heard in this forum, a plan that should fail from a development standpoint as i heard many argument here why SotA is avoiding the aproach they are doing.

Then if you are a Fan of Richard and Darkstarr you become afraid of "Life is Feudal" because you wan´t SotA to be the spiritual succesor and not this "Life is Feudal" of Ultima Online.

But looks like Life is Feudal is closer in regards to the conzept to the early years of Ultima Online then Shroud of the Avatar is.
    And it does confuse you as a customer to see them selling 65 000 copies.

I mean seeing them getting that amount of backers did nullifies the fear of not getting enough backers if you go Full Loot, Full PvP.

I do not want anyone to fail, not Life is Feudal, not SotA- but i realy hope SotA will be more successful as Life is Feudal , as they are using alot of base conzept form Ultima Online that i think would have rightfully been placed at SotA.

It is not copy what Life is Feudal doing - it is for me luring the Ultima Online Fans away. The ones who loved Full Loot and PvP.

JasonDark and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  12. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

You and I have very different ideas in this respect; that doesn't make me think of Ultima at all. But then, I was never a UO player; I come from the single-player side.

Actually, I'd be okay with that if it meant that SotA became a keen spiritual successor to, say, Ultima 6. Or Ultima 4. Or Ultima 9. Or even (sigh) Ultima 7. Or all of those.

Assuming those are the key features that are driving interest in the game at this time. Which may be the case, but where is the evidence?

Too, where is the evidence that SotA could bump its own backer base -- and/or steal away people from these other games -- by adopting those features?

I'm going to be playing in single-player, so it's no skin off my nose...but there are probably a goodly number of SotA backers for whom that would be an ideal outcome.

13. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

So what do you propose? Change the game to a exact duplicate of UO to appease the UO fans thereby changing what the game was announced as? What about all the people who would rightfully ask for their money back and leave?

Silent Strider and Sir Cabirus like this.
  14. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

I am from the Ultima Online side hardcore. So maybe if you are a Single Player Ultima Fan you of course do not relate to my arguments at all.

Deep respect to you all. :)

15. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

I do not propose anything. SotA should do what SotA is doing.
    Something new.

I just aknowledge what Life is Feudal is doing and as i consider myself a hardcore Ultima Online Fan and they are targeting exactly me with the concept they are aiming.

I am only speaking for me of course.

Sir Cabirus and rune_74 like this.
  16. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

Relate? Not particularly, no.

But I do periodically make attempts to understand the thinking of those who come from the UO side, especially those who favour its pre-Trammel "glory days" of full loot and unrestricted PvP. I don't personally see the appeal of being able to attack and antagonize others at whim, nor do I see the appeal of playing a game under the persistent threat of same, and I'm fascinated that others do.

17. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

I sometimes feel bad that i never did play the Solo Games of Ultima as so many Fans are here telling how great they are.

But i regard the Ultima Online Fans and the Solo Ultima Players a big family at the end. Even if i sometimes feel we are from different planets. :)
    And Life is Feudal is basically knocking on our Ultima House waving the Ultima Online Fans to take a closer look at what they are doing - not the Solo Player Fans i promise you. :)

18. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

I'll just toss out a recommendation of Ultima 6. Try it with the Nuvie engine, and enable the interface-free mode. It's tops.

Ultima 7 is okay too. I prefer Serpent Isle and Ultima 9 though.

It does seem that way, at times.

Myrcello likes this.
  19. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Well said.

20. Margard

Margard Avatar

There are a few points to consider when you are making the "hardcore" Game (this is just my opinion, from my perspective, it need not nor does it necessarily apply to anyone else)

1. Click Fest - While some may find that the experience of "leveling" skills by "practice" - this leads to "life hacks" to undermine game mechanics - in some regards its interesting because the game has engaged you in such a manner that you are doing something in the real world to become "better" in the digital world - but to me there is something just wrong about that and it becomes a chore and boring ... which leads to one of the definitions of "hardcore" being able to endure long an arduous process - I'm ok with long an arduous but not when it came be circumvented ... there is no point to it for me -

but if you can do it so people can't circumvent it - I would like it - so in other words this "hardcore" element is lacking, it needs to be modified not resurrected or copied - its just not good in my eyes (btw I like leveling skills through use, thus implying different rates of progression, it feels more real)

2. Whats the Point -
    - Am I playing to impede /undermine someone else progress through game content - thus making me a
    anti-hero even from the start?

- Am I really "strong" if one of the most used tactic is to attack the week / stay away from the stronger (attack lower levels, comfort in numbers, and use game mechanics to cheat the experience)

- In other words the battle aspect overpowers other aspects of the game / and it does not mirror even some of the scariest places in earth / its some sort of hyper reality

Sir Cabirus and Myrcello like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.