Pvp for the throne of SOTA .Want to be king?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Duke William of Serenite, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

Just for a minute remove the current king Lord British. Easy now let me finish. So the idea is simple. Once a month any guilds with a duke in their ranks can fight for the throne in a guild war battle sanctioned by a dev as a monthly event. This guild will then have access to a castle and throne to be king and rule . Every month guilds can fight for control. A king can then remove taxes or lower their rate by half same as the orbs royalty get but in a large scale. This will happen on all territories controlled by the guild who won. This type of game wil keep the people that reached their peak in character development and give us all a carrot to chew on aka end game content which most games ignore .

Most people will max out their skills and gear in a months if not less. The they will be bored out of their mind which is what happens in most mmos. Why not create end game content that will give people reason to play?

This guild would then have access to epic crafting stations at the palace and can craft Royal Epic Gear designed for Pvp and have some Pvp bonuses.

This will also entice guilds to purchase that duke package and make us sone more $$$.

Tell me this does not sound like fun? Whether or not this idea will fit the bill is not the focus here. The focus here is end game content . What will everyone do once their all skilled up and ready to fight ?

Destroying Angel, Ohgr, Sophi and 3 others like this.
  2. Sunswords

Sunswords Avatar

It does sound like a lot of fun - I was actually thinking of something similar prior to this post. More like a "Holy Grail" or "Artifact of Legendary Power" that can sit in a player owned city - Guilds and cities will band together to "wrest control" of this artifact for their own city, and it would provide some kind of benefit (maybe a just purely graphical one - i.e., heavenly lights around the city, etc).

My immediate concern with giving too much bonus from your idea, or the "artifact", is that it can quickly become imbalanced without proper planning:
    1. Only the largest guilds will take control
    2. Giving a super bonus would further empower the winner, thereby increasing their hegemony
    I'm not very sure how to go about it, even if it sounds like a great idea - I'd be careful if I were the Devs :p

3. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

If it's done just for bragging rights and rewards that don't affect gameplay, fine. I could get behind it, even if chances are good I will never take part in it; this kind of competition is just not my cup of tea.

But if done for rewards, when those rewards affect PvE players (the taxes) or have PvE uses and are better than anything else in their categories, I have to be against the idea. I certainly didn't back this game to get some twisted king of the hill game that will only reward PvPers.

BTW, I agree with Sunswords. The dumbest thing you can do with a PvP reward is give something that makes the winner even more powerful. That leads to an imbalanced system where the winners tend to grow in power faster than the losers, reducing competition and making for a boring game that is only interesting to those that started winning. There is a reason the best selling racing game of all time (Mario Kart) rewards the last players with the most power.

4. Duke William of Serenite

the armor is only for PVP bonuses.

Some ideas can be plucked out like the lower rent rate. Thie idea is to create a carrot for the end game. What will you do when you reach the end of our PVE game? You have the best items PVE can give you? Log off and play another game right?

5. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

Define end of a PvE game. There is always something to do, helping others out for instance. Doing some dungeons. Crafting. Player events. Rping your own stories. The list goes on and on. Why are you under the impression that there will be nothing left to do after finishing the PvE quests? End game? Is there such a thing?

Back to topic, i like your idea. But empowering people when they win? No thanks. Giving people that won a pvp competiton even better gear? No thanks. Armor, in my eyes shouldn't even have any extra features besides giving extra protection to players, but that's just me.

Again, i like the idea, but no rewards. Bragging rights should suffice.

Arianna, Gaelis and Zantul like this.
  6. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I'm hoping that the stretch goal for "castle sieges" fills this gap. No need to crown anyone king.

Gaelis likes this.
  7. redfish

redfish Avatar

8. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

It would be nice to see ways of achieving success without fighting being the only determining factor. PVP doesn't have to mean hack and slash.

Athanil and Net like this.
  9. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

There will be control point scenes, there will be PvP scenes. I don't see why the devs wouldn't mix the two. So I'm thinking that this is already in the works.

Gaelis, Net and Zantul like this.
  10. Duke William of Serenite

Instead of not liking my idea or shooting it down please add what you think it should be like . I am interested in what you guys feel it should be like . My idea is just to get everyone thinking and maybe one of us will post something that may give debs an idea on where they want to go with this.

11. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

One thing's for sure: that bit about only guilds with at least one duke in their ranks would have to go. Pledge reward titles are just titles. Dukes aren't actually dukes.

Siriustar, Athanil, Net and 1 other person like this.
  12. Drocis the Devious

Sorry, I thought you had a good idea (in general) and I was not trying to shoot it down in any way. I was just adding my 2 cents.

13. Drocis the Devious

But Barons are surely Barons. :)

Athanil, Net and Trenyc like this.
  14. Duke William of Serenite

That's the spirit. They may not be dukes but they own some nice looking castles!

15. Duke William of Serenite

If someone pays to be a baron it is no different from some of the barons whose wealth and loyalty bought granted them their title. The money you spent shows your dedication and loyalty to the game. Yes you are a Baron in my book.

16. Drocis the Devious

You are too kind. A robber baron, perhaps, nothing more. :)

17. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

It's true, and that causes enough of a kerfluffle. That suggestion would just pass more merit to the "Pay 2 Win" argument. :)

Gaelis likes this.
  18. Duke William of Serenite

Let's not loose sight of what pay to win means . You pay to get better gear and items so you become more powerful than your opponent. Having a title and a bigger house and or castle doesn't make you stronger only prettier if you like huge houses.

19. Duke William of Serenite

This is a great start makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside that this type of end game content will be addressed.

20. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

The house bit is debatable, but the idea that a guild has to have a duke to be eligible to win the kingship, as presented in this thread, is quite literally paying to win.

Gaelis likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.