Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

NPC <Job Title> and cheddar cheese.

Discussion in 'Release 11 Feedback' started by Lord Andernut, Oct 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Using the example of a merchant - the Decorations Merchant in Owl's Head.

1. Instead of their name coming up as Decorations <Merchant>. I would rather see Decorations Merchant.

Edit - This is personal preference, I just prefer "Curt the Merchant" to "Curt <Merchant>".

2. Initial Dialogue shows as "Lord Andernut: (to Decorations) Hello."
    This seems to imply "Decorations" is their first name, I would recommend if you don't give an NPC a name that you make their profession of two words all in the first name - wouldn't want people thinking I'm talking to the Decorations.

3. I tried talking to a few NPC's, this one included, when queried about name - the response is "I don't know about that." I think name, job, bye (and for many of you - health) should at least have a generic response for each NPC.

Amusingly, when queried about cheddar cheese, the Decorations Merchant did admit to liking cheddar.

Net and Arianna like this.
  2. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

The Decorations merchants are placeholders to allow you to buy housing decorations quickly and are not intended to be in the game world in any real sense.

3. Lum the Mad

Also, per Starr, we are removing the <Merchant> tag as it is antithetical to immersion.

Net, Hazard, Duke NRaas and 5 others like this.
  4. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Perfect, I was about to respond that this was the more jarring moment for me.

smack likes this.
  5. redfish

redfish Avatar

Why "Curt the Merchant" and not a more specific job title like "Curt the Greengrocer" or "Curt the Draper"

6. Lum the Mad

I removed the <Merchant> tag pretty much literally at the last minute before release, so didn't have time to do a naming pass.

For R12 Richard has asked that merchants with vendor UIs be seperate from people you can talk to and not launch convo mode; ie for Fire Lotus Tavern we'll add a barmaid that handles the sales chores that Thomas Strongbeard does now, but won't have any dialogue. Since you won't be able to talk to these merchants they will have their names already shown and be clearly designated as merchants with what they sell (Zangief the Blacksmith, etc.)

Net and cs2501x like this.
  7. cs2501x

cs2501x Avatar

I await the spinning piledriver of awesomeness that may be the new blacksmithing merchant located... somewhere. Thanks for the info, Lum.

8. smack

smack Avatar

@Lum -- So we now have robot NPC vendors? I saw one in Braemar and thought you just didn't have time to add any dialog to him. Is this the future direction for the game, to have more non-talkative, single-purpose NPCs? Curious...

9. Nemo Herringwary

Nemo Herringwary Avatar

Or Roger The Shrubber...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.