Reputation and PvP a dynamic solution

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Azbolg, Dec 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azbolg

Azbolg Avatar

Everyone remember reputation in the old UO???

You killed bunch of non-red players, well you became a red yourself, and a WANTED man! People could check the bounty board, and hunt you down, and bring a your head to the guard and collect the reward.

Now that was ****ing awesome! And I haven't seen this system in any MMO since!

Bring back this ASAP!!

Red players were ruthless bandits, it was a name tagged system which other players could EASILY identify other players in the distance, and know what the character's reputation was, and if they wanted to take the chance to slaying them or not!

Give players QUESTS to redeem themselves if they have fallen from grace (to remove their red status), or get recruited by bandits if they want to be evil and kill other NPCs and other players!

If a player helps another player, healing them, saving them from a mob, giving them gold, they can become a HERO (opposite of bandit), which can give them other perks (bandits should also get perks, like a black market or something to buy/sell from).

Over time a player's reputation faded back to Neutral (there was no quest system to redeem himself, like, go slay the kolbolds in the cave for the king to go back to neutral).

This would be great to have.

Red's wouldn't be allowed to go into town at all, as they are outlaws! Heroes would be praised by guards and citizens and receive discounts at shops and stuff like that.

What are you waiting for! PROGRAM THIS FOR R14!!

Comments? Questions? Devs?!?

2. Net

Net Avatar

I am not sure if you need to kill bunch of them... I think that in city killing once should be enough. Sure there could be some zones where anyone is fair game but those should be rather rare.

That can work for people who got flagged red for the first crime they did and they did not know of consequences. However it can be quite abused and if someone is redeeming themselves for the tenths time in a month it should trigger warning flag somewhere and not allow it. I think that you should get option to redeem yourself immedietely the first time you go red, then after hour, day, week, month and after that only once a year. People should be able to choose 'evil' path, but they should stick to it.

Xandra7 likes this.
  3. Azbolg

Azbolg Avatar

cap the amount of redeems to once/twice per month to prevent abuse, or make the quests harder and harder each time to redeem. Instead of bringing guard X 1 kobold head, he has to bring 3 this time! Or the more "red" he is, the more work he has to do to redeem himself! :)

Leave the options open to the player, you can never lock them in to help the make their own story.

4. Azbolg

Azbolg Avatar

First step should be to add a system, then in 1-2 releases add ways for players to "change" by whatever means imo. Typically people who want to be bandits will just be bandits, and those who want to be hereos will generally do that.

Killing bandits should give you positivie rep, turning in someone's wanted head to the bounty board/guard, gives you positive rep (more likely to be a hero). Killing hereos is double negative to your rep.

It can be as simple as a infinity scale (like it was in UO), starts at 0 and go to + / - infinity points based on your actions. At a certain + / - reputation point value you can get certain perks.

Regardless, this system is awesome, existed in previous UO, and was sweet.

Why wasn't it in WoW? B/c WoW had factions. Factions are the easy way out. In UO, you didn't know who was friend or foe, way more exciting!

5. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

Actually, other games have similar systems. EVE and ArcheAge come to mind (though, in the west, ArcheAge seems to be floundering). A few other old games seem to have it too.

On the other hand, for the most part players seem to prefer factions exactly because it allows them to know at a glance who is dangerous and who isn't. Not to mention that, when the game has PvP servers where the factions can attack each other freely, those are nearly always less popular than the PvE servers where either flagging for PvP is required or even, in some cases, open world PvP is kept to just specific out-of-the-way maps.

6. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Darkfall and Mortal Online got the same system broth. So, I LOVE OT TOO

CrimsonBinome likes this.
  7. baronandy

baronandy Avatar

yeah after 5 murdercounts you get red and get punished hard if you pk further

that regulate the the ammounmt of pks , after a pk get killed he could be punished with skillost for 2 days or so and that his stats on the murderboard get resetted to 0. so the murdercounts show real numbers , only the kills you made without being killed once.
    other who not like to get punished and are not that good in pvp will do chaos order fights to keep blue

and not forget the karma fame systzem it was great to get a lord afdter some playtime , but loose the title on death

8. Azbolg

Azbolg Avatar

Players should not be punished. They shouldn't be let into guarded towns if they are murderors, and heroes would get perks in town. Both sides would have plus and minuses w/ NPCs.

9. Azbolg

Azbolg Avatar

This system also requires open PvP, which does not exist at this time, nor has the potential to exist. Sadly.

10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well It wouldn't surprise me if this comes in Azbolg since Richard wants you to be able to get body parts as trophies, he may be thinking just like you;)

CrimsonBinome and sn0tub like this.
  11. sn0tub

sn0tub Avatar

Can we have a teabag emote too please?

*TIC*

12. Sebastion

Sebastion Avatar

If a single person was to know all of the flaws in the system then it would probably be LB. Hopefully if they have plans for such a system they have worked through all the issues.

13. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

You can flag for open PvP and meet all the other players who likes PvP. But PvP will stay consensual for ever. I think this is a good compromise and without this and other compromises the population of SotA would shrink dramatically. We all have to make some compromises for the sake of the success of this game.

smack likes this.
  14. baronandy

baronandy Avatar

I think this is a good compromise and without this and other compromises the population of SotA would shrink dramatically

2 worlds XD i think making same instances for everyone blessed or not blessed people is the worst idea ever , noone will be happy because they have totally different interests which are in conflict

15. Azbolg

Azbolg Avatar

I also talk about this feature as a caveat to the pvp system if all players are 'flagged' at max level (70 atm)

16. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

17. smack

smack Avatar

I completely agree about PvP being 100% consensual -- and having a single persistent world that isn't segregated across physical servers/shards. Game modes, zones, instances, flags, are all dynamic in the same persistent world and certainly not permanent.

But I also understand -- and accept -- that Lord British will entice me into it and that intrigues me. I want to be challenged and I want to make really tough decisions later. And I won't cry fowl because choices, risk, reward, actions, consequences.

Leos and Sir Cabirus like this.
  18. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

This is the most over looked aspect that SotA has to offer.

Instead of slapping open PvP onto the cover and saying "here it is, go PvP and full loot your hearts out" (such as Darkfall) They are setting up a PvP that puts it in the devs hands to find reasons for players to cross over, even want to stay on the PvP side.

They have full view of what players are doing in with their metrics. If players are not PvP or avoiding it under some situations and not others, they can address it.

The ball is in their court and they have an on going, evolving world, to keep things adjusting as needed.

Risk, reward, purpose, these things are not in yet, it's not in for PvE either.

People don't need to quit the game to show that PvP is not right. If PvP is not giving enough reason to PvP then they will fix it.

smack and Xandra7 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.