Question: Unity assets for Dev+ backers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vaentorian, Jan 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaentorian

Vaentorian Localization Team

I'm tempted to upgrade my pledge to Dev (maybe eventually higher) but one of the main selling points for me is the Unity asset packs and I can't find much information about them.

In particular: does upgrading now give me access to everything that has previously been released, as well as future releases?

And in general it'd be nice to have an idea what is likely to be released - textures? customisable avatars like the ones in game? monster models, with or without the ability to tweak appearance? I'm a Unity noob still getting to grips with the software, so kind of hoping for elements that could just be dropped into my own animations/games ^^

I'll be spending the money either way, just haven't decided whether to put it into pledge levels or add-ons etc :) thanks for any info you can share!

Parallaxe, lollie and Logain like this.
  2. smack

smack Avatar

I posted about this here...but generally, they aren't taking any submissions for assets currently and haven't released a new asset pack in quite some time.

I'd wait for them to post an update on this before going up to Dev+ specifically for the assets/submission process. But feel free to go higher if you want the other rewards :)

3. Vaentorian

Thanks for the reply - I don't have permission to view the link you posted, so I guess it's within the special forum that you need Developer level to access ;)

smack likes this.
  4. Parallaxe

Parallaxe Avatar

Hi Vaentorian

Since I have pledged for the same reason as you on Dev+ I think I can answer most of your questions:

Yes it does. The Unity assets are being made available through a SurveyGizmo page that does ask for your e-mail, but does not validate it (especially not against your pledge level). The download link that you get after you have completed the survey is a public dropbox link, so there's no validation or restriction either. As soon as you have access to the Dev+ forums you will have access to these links and can download all that has been released so far.

Portalarium has stopped releasing Unity assets for Dev+ some months ago. From my point of view there's basically two reasons for that:
    1) They are too busy in developing the game
    2) They are buying many of the game's assets themselves, so there aren't many "original SotA-made" assets left which they could share.

However, they have released some nice assets so far:
    • A dungeon kit which you can use like Lego bricks in Unity for your own purposes
    • A cave kit which works in the same way as the dungeon kit
    • Dungeon props
    • A rigged model (3ds-Max)
    • Some furniture and crafting tables
    • Some of the player houses
    The quality however is very divergent and they do not always share the same style. So you have to double-check whether they fit into your intended game style.
    As for my purposes, I was able to use the two kits (dungeon and cave). They fit in many game styles (including mine). I did not use the rest of the assets though, since either quality or style did not match my needs.

Is the Dev+ level worth pledging ONLY for the Unity assets? From my point of view certainly not. At least "not anymore", since they have stopped releasing assets last year. And you can get way better assets for less money from the Unity asset store (e.g. from Manufactura K4 [which Portalarium is also using] or 3DForge). But then again, Dev+ also includes some neat game benefits that you might value higher than the Unity assets alone.

Hope this helped. If you have any further questions, please let me know (-:

smack, Vaentorian and Kuno Brauer like this.
  5. Vaentorian

That's really helpful, thanks :) it sounds like the Dev level rewards aren't going to be of much interest to me as things currently stand, but if I can afford to go for a higher level pledge, I'll certainly have a rummage through them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.