Will Shroud of the Avatar Fail or Succeed?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PlottedMurder, Jul 14, 2013.

?

What part of the community will SotA be made up of?

Poll closed Aug 14, 2013.
  1. New school MMO players.

3.0%
  2. Old school MMO players.

30.3%
  3. Both.

66.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PlottedMurder

PlottedMurder Avatar

I personally feel like SotA will succeed, but how many "new school" mmo players will actually enjoy this grind? If you played UO you know it means to grind to gain skills... none of this quest log/ exclamation marks over npc's heads. My real point is this... New school mmo players are very used to dumbed down boring mmo's (wow, guildwars, etc.) None of these games have really innovated the way mmo's are played in theory they have made mmo's less of a real life simulation to a game built for pu**ies that need their hands held throughout the whole game. History has shown us that mmo players dont like change... in fact some mmo's have tried to be innovative but have opted to patch their games to high hell to bring it back to todays normal boring mmo standard. Mainly because the community didn't like the type of grind/ change.

Does RG know the size of community that is of the "old school" mmo players left and are their enough to fill this part of the genre up? Or is his goal to grab the attention of the "new school" mmo players to convert to this old style of mmo?

what do you think?
    Plotted

2. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

It's missing the 'SotA is not an MMO' option.

3. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

and the "I don't play MMOs, I play old school RPG games and am going to play this"

Seneth Somed and Umbrae like this.
  4. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

I'm one of the new school MMO Player, I played WOW. I've got no problem to adapt new systems. I hope that LB will hold what he promised. It would be real fun to play online with pen and paper *g*

5. G Din

G Din Avatar

SotA is just trying to be different. WOW clones haven't performed well, that model is dead.

Isaiah MGT470 likes this.
  6. Silver Sterling

Silver Sterling Avatar

The good thing is, that the player can already have a word aswell in the development. So i don't think SOTA would go a way, that the game is nothing for everybody. Okay, the complexity (Its not simple a grinder and fighting only game) would possible deatract some peoples. I personally like this on the game.

BillRoy likes this.
  7. Keyser

Keyser Avatar

RG is all about innovation. I am willing to wait and see and enjoy.

8. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I have no reason to believe it's grind to win and hope it isn't. I played Lineage2 for years (which effectively had no max to the level, gear and skills) and the constant imbalance didn't make the game more fun. New players could never be competitive. Bots and gold sellers were the only ones that "won" the game. The harshness of death penalties generally make people avoid PvP.

I hope it's less grindy than WoW, tbh. WoW is basically tuned so that only a tiny % get maxed out before new gear hits. GW2 was about perfect in terms of what it takes to max your stats. It just lacked end game.

BillRoy, FireLotus and Isaiah MGT470 like this.
  9. Cazador

Cazador Avatar

This game looks so promising..funded, and made by and for the community! Exactly what almost every game is missing..!! I'll just be happy with no gargoyle/elf/panda playable characters!! Ready to get back to the RPG..no one better then RG honestly!

monxteri likes this.
  10. Silver Sterling

Silver Sterling Avatar

Right, there should be a long learning time to max out everything, but it should be possible to get enough skills in an acceptable time, to competive in an acceptable time. Possible would be aswell a limit off all overall skills. If you have them maxed out, and learn an additional one, then the overall other skills are going a bit lower again. So you woudn't have to unlearn something, but the avatar would have its max knowledge and if you go another way by learning, he will shift the skills a bit again. So a player who played for 5 years shoudn't have 5 times the skills like a player only there for one year.

11. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

Wait... SotA is going to be "grindy"?

12. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

If you mean grind by old UO style of getting the skills up then I'm good with that.
    I don't expect to become an expert lumberjack by questing.

licemeat likes this.
  13. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Last I checked it's not an MMO, at least that's what the des said.

Beno Ledoux likes this.
  14. LemmingOfEvil

LemmingOfEvil Avatar

LB's term form it is "Selective Multiplayer" (RTX 2013), it has elements of an MMO, however unlike some, instead of choosing a server and just sticking to it with the same people, groups exist across multiple shards, but the system will shuffle them around to keep people together in regards to certain parameters which it judges you to have in common with those other folk (like friends list).

If you go back to the RTX 2013 video on the front page, he starts talking about it at around 9:30 into it. He compares it to modern day MMOs, but details how the new concepts he wants to integrate into the experience makes it a brand new one, for which he coined that phrase: "Selective Multiplayer."

As to whether it will succeed or not, call me biased, but I'm hoping it succeeds :p

15. PlottedMurder

PlottedMurder Avatar

Did he mention how many people would be grouped? i dont want it like diablo ... i rather enjoy running into people everywhere i go.

16. Silver Sterling

Silver Sterling Avatar

Skills should grow of course by using them. So for lumberjack you would grow, when you cut trees. ;)

17. LemmingOfEvil

LemmingOfEvil Avatar

I think he mentioned that the shards will be kept as full as possible so you never get too lonely, but that you are more likely to see people in your friends list/guild on the same shards as you

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
  18. Silver Sterling

Silver Sterling Avatar

Wonder if there is aswell some language rating. I am from germany and in some games, different language communities are placed aswell in similar shards.

19. timbusan

timbusan Avatar

I wonder how many people will be playing with you on any one 'shard'. I really hope it's well populated and varied. I don't just want to play a CO-OP, but that's me. If I've learnt anything from this forum it's that the player-base for this game is very diverse and everyone has their own idea about what they want to play. I hope this doesn't turn the game into a jack of all trades, master of none.

20. stile

stile Avatar

Originally they mentioned 6-12, but later they indicated 20 or more. Bottom line is they want the number to be as large as possible based on what the tech will allow based on the design concepts. Thats how i understand it.

I think 20-30 is a good number. I occasionally run 24 person raids and even that many is hard to hand for a top notch group leader.

I feel the best source to date as an explanation for how the grouping will work is the RTX presentation. It made things click for me and go WOW.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.