No Savepoint please! Give us the choice to save when we need it!

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Marthewise, Jul 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marthewise

Marthewise Avatar

Hi!

I hope that you will not put SavePoint in the game but give us the choice to save when we want!

Thanks!! :)

Namodias and Koldar like this.
  2. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

My preference would be an autosave as you go...no jumping back to try again. If I were to invoke the holy grails of immersion and reality then certainly there should be no jumping back in time. Decisions should have weight and lasting consequence.

3. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Well there HAS to be an autosave because you can't just allow saving and reloading in multiplayer. Even playing with friends can make a manually saving system too complicated. Saving and character states would be handled automatically and probably validated by the main server.

For single-player, I hope an additional free form, save anywhere system exists because I like that in my RPGs even if it is sometime the Easy Button.

Marthewise and Namodias like this.
  4. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

I too am in the save-anywhere-you-want camp. I like to try out different strategies to see different outcomes and then restore to a particular point in time and try something different.

Marthewise, nightshadow and Namodias like this.
  5. Rampage202

Rampage202 Avatar

Either form of saving works for me in single player mode, there doesn't have to be any limitations there.
    Online I don't expect there to be saving at all; its a persistent world, so progress is in that sense auto saved.

OSullivan, Eligor, Ara and 1 other person like this.
  6. Namodias

Namodias Avatar

I also don't really see how it's possible in the multiplayer mode other than save points during instances or whatever but in single player mode I definitley want the option to save anywhere at anytime and would like to have at least 3-5 save game slots so that I can try different paths done different ways. I realize that means that when switching from single player mode to selective multiplayer mode I will have to wait each time for my game to validate but I'm ok with that to have the ability to have some flexibility in how I play my game.

7. Sergorn

Sergorn Avatar

I second this as far as the offline single player version goes, just allow us to save everywhere we want like a proper single player game, and everything will be fine.

-Sergorn

8. Silver Sterling

Silver Sterling Avatar

Would prefer aswell free form saving in the single player game with multiple game states, so we can experiment and do what we want.
    For the Online game. Well, online and saving? :rolleyes: Don't think so. There is only server side saving and this would happen continuously and when we log off.

Koldar likes this.
  9. bcxanth

bcxanth Avatar

Heh, it's funny, until this thread I've been focusing on just the online mode for the game. I've not even considered the offline mode. I agree that we need a save system for offline that's similar to what Dragon Age uses for example. I know there are others that use it, but DA is what I'm playing currently. :) In DA2 there is an auto save feature that saves every X number of minutes, there's an auto save that triggers whenever you reach key points, and then there's the ability to do a quick save or a named save point whenever you want. I too want the ability to save the game, start a dialogue, and then maybe go back and try again if the result doesn't go the way I want.

10. Namodias

Namodias Avatar

I am really looking forward to figuring out how this is going to work out with the save game features of single player mode and the full auto of live player mode. It is really going to be neat to see this all work.

11. Seneschal

Seneschal Avatar

Giving too much flexibility in saving in offline might lead to problems... the more "only work in offline" features offline has, the more offline and online will drift apart.

I'd like total save-freedom-of-choice offline, but I'd accept no/continuous saving online-style if that's what was best for the game overall.

12. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

offline only IS a different game by necessity, the way housing is handled, the way the economy is handled and I don't see why having saves handled differently would detriment that game

13. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I understand why saving when you want is great for offline play, but I also could see that not happening in SotA.

RG wants your decisions to have consequences, both good and bad. If you have the chance to save and try a decision another way, you'll end up ruining the experience. I think if there are no manual saves then the game has to be designed to always let you recover from a bad decision. It may not be the easiest path, but it should be possible.

The Hero's Journey has been mentioned as influential on the SotA character story and that usually requires that the character experience failure and learn to overcome it.

14. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

In every game I play I want freedom of saving whenever/wherever. I hate savepoints with a passion.

however, with SoTA and like every online persistent game I've played, your character state saves when you exit the game. there is no going back or changing or loading a save state.. so in offline mode I'd see it acting the same way exit the game to save, open the game to load... I don't expect they'd add any different features to the offline mode. (I wouldn't want them to spend the development time in making the system) It's bad enough they'll have to litter it with prop housing.. instead of empty lots.

15. Owain

Owain Avatar

If you mean autosave so you get get a do-over like nothing ever happened, I know of no multiplayer game that offers that. The server knows where you are so that if it goes down, hopefully when it comes back up you will be in the same place, but if you want to be able to save before hitting a tough mob and then load from your save point after you get clobbered, I'm pretty sure SotA won't do that, not even in single player offline.

Mishri, Ara, skinned and 1 other person like this.
  16. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

You could probably save in single player offline, but I agree with you Owain.

This point brings up something interesting. Part of the time we will not be communicating with the SotA servers, and we will be playing in a peer to peer mode with other players. However if you know you will get killed, what is to stop you from killing your game process on your computer, and log back in again later? Wouldn't the server try to place you back to where you were last seen by the server?

Now lets say in case of a system crash your game client keeps track of your last location, and the status of your character before you disconnected.... so in that case you delete your game and reinstall it... then wouldn't that require the newly installed game client to synchronize with the server and find the last location (and status) of your character anyway?

If that's the case a person could kill you loot your body, and then you could come back and still have your stuff and be alive before the combat took place. Unless they allow the other game clients/servers in that peer to peer connection to report all deaths to the game servers in case people try this. I hope I made sense there. Either way the game server needs to be notified of a death and items looted items immediately, and not after the combat is over.

17. Indecent Dragon

Indecent Dragon Avatar

add me into the camp that prefers a save anywhere option for the offline mode, but I will understand if it doesn't work due to the online component.

18. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I somewhat assumed it would work like the online mode where it is constantly saving.

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
  19. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Well if its offline only then they can do whatever best benefits that group of single players without having to worry what's "fair" because you have no effect on anyone else. That being said if they did chose to go with instant saves I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a mod adding a traditional save feature within a week

20. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

if I played the offline mode I would want a manual save. Sometimes you make mistakes and want to do it over to get it right. However in the online mode i believe it should save progress, but you should never be able to have a do over. If people are advocating restoring a saved game in the online mode that's no good. only time we need that is in case of server down time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.