MMO/UO Vet.. Is the combat going to scare me away from SOTA?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Asan Drakus, Jun 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xail

Xail Avatar

When you talk to an ex UO player you will always have unpredictable events and stories....you will never have to listen to :"There was this PVP event, 5vs5, they won"....because that's boring and nobody will ever remember it....

You will hear of ambush...looting....stealing...wars...revenges...tactical plan and maneuvers....etc etc...

TEK likes this.
  2. Xail

Xail Avatar

...you will hear stories of feared bandit and PK...you will hear stories of people that has successful hunted them...you will hear stories of people than even if killed and looted they will remembered it laughing at it because the way it happened was fun and unpredictable...the first time I was killed by a Fu**I+g bird with earthquake was so lol...

3. Xail

Xail Avatar

Every single time you went out you had no idea what will happen and how it will end...

Quenton likes this.
  4. Otha Livinded

Otha Livinded Avatar

The photo is from the beautiful and under rated role-playing friendly ArcheAge. It's a shame such a marvelously built world has been ruined by a combination of hacker/griefers and a horribly bad western handling of an otherwise masterful Korean game design. It's easily the most immersive and realistic world ever created with RP in mind.

The deck combat system currently used in Shroud of the Avatar unfortunately does not fit the rest of the game, which is heavily RP oriented. While the crafting and housing and exploring systems nicely encourage RP and immersion into the game world, the nature of the card combat is directly in competition with playing your avatar.

For example, when you decorate your house, it all seems pretty "real" You can place things more freely than in ArcheAge, there are no limitations to placement, and there are already more items and types of things. The UI is pretty invisible and logical and simple- which all good UI needs to be when you are RPing with others as a character.

The combat is just the opposite. When you head out to face a skeleton or wolf or bandit for the first time, instead of finding yourself battling said beastie, you end up looking to the clunky card deck spewing out random cards. You have to, by the nature of the system.

And this, of course, pulls you out of the game world you are trying to believe in quite completely.

There is a locking mechanism which dumbs down the combat and ties the deck up into singular slots, but this is no solution to what seems to be an horrible problem.

Instead of fighting wolves or skeletons, which should feel different, the enemy units feel abstract and all exactly the same because of the card game imposed upon the player.

And of course, when dealing with pvp....you don't really feel like you are fighting with swords and magic against another live person at all, like you do in ArcheAge. You instead are playing at more abstracted, and less satisfying cards.

I hate it. I love all of RG's past games because of the immersion and the fact that the games feel like they are pastoral worlds for you to roleplay within. In effect, you are given largely invisible barebones systems in which you can socialize, explore and "live" in.

The deck system in Shroud of the Avatar tosses all that out the door for the sake of a more abstract throwback card game that I just don't enjoy.

Because it ruins belief in the world.

Ice Queen and Lord Soliwilos like this.
  5. Grogoth83

Grogoth83 Avatar

Mr Edward im not sayng it should be the next UO,but i was hoping for it.And about the next UO -put the perfect old UO in new cloths that is what im searching for .

Ice Queen likes this.
  6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome Grogoth83. Hopefully everyone has had a chance to read the R19 instructions. They always give us what deliverables made it into each release. I never miss a word of them. Lots of change ups to skills and combat, not sure where this will lead but here we go again.;)

**edited** so sorry Grogoth83 for the name mispell. I have edited to correct.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    Grogoth83 and Edward Newgate like this.
  7. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

sounds great but what worked for a 2d game (2d/3d) might not work for a 3d game i guess.

What we might get with shroud is a great rollplaying game, with a cool deep story that we not only can exp for us but allsow with frinds and strangers.
    Housing is a lot of fun and so is/will be crafting.
    seasons, nutrition, aggraculture are upcomming things as well astronomy.
    We have right now big events and peaple are having a lot of fun.
    The combat is well somthing new, it doesnt work at the moment as some peaple might had hoped, other have a lot of fun with it.

If the combat or the way how open pvp works is what you miss from your old uo, than its hard to say what the right way is. There are peaple who dont like to loos all there gear and stuff. Stealing is fine, but to be honest if you guys want a system like that, than i would like to have perma death in s game that has full pvp loot.

But maby we can show you arround, as i said there are a lot of cool community events :) and we are allways happy to get new player. so maby you will give it a try and maby you will find out even that shroud is not the uo you hoped for, it still could be a fun game.

8. redfish

redfish Avatar

You really think UO was perfect? Combat was just auto-attack unless you were using magic, and magic was just about clicking spell icons.

That's not necessarily a recommendation for this game's combat, though, I'd hope you keep an open mind. There good aspects of this combat system, like combos. I think when they start building that up in the game, so we start to have a lot of combos of different elements, and between spells in a certain school, and between more melee moves and spells, its an aspect of the combat system that's really going to stand out.

benn289 and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  9. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Welcome!

Combat will prove to be great. Wait and see.

Why?

- 'Free combat' option in development for mouse-click control with wind up for harder blows.
    - Flexible card/deck building system if you want it, or locked skill bar if you don't.
    - Interesting melee and magic trees, with open system for skill selection choice.
    - Ability to combine skills to create new 'combo' skills.

The ability to have a choice in not only skill selection, but combat skill bar styles, and potentially mouse combat styles (no auto attack) is as flexible as a system can really get. Nam other games with the level of customization presently.

10. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Well Mr Andaluz I hope you're right about that mouse control tactical combats, I'm starting to worry this dev team is catering specifically to some "older" backers stated they don't want any action combats because they are so old their wrists pain them so much. Business wise, that would be maybe the #1 biggest mistake they made for future development... Anyways mostly all real-time MMO must be some "twitch" style in there, or it will not sell too many players

11. Murdock

Murdock Avatar

All hope is lost...see ya in crowfall.com.

12. Deathblow

Deathblow Avatar

Please give me a call when they get there Bro.

13. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

you know i will bro

14. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Sadly what you think you want for PvP and what you will read here are not anything like what you might get if you actually just went out and tried it. Asking here will give you 2 sides - PvPer who HATE it and other who think it is OK.

In the End there are PvPers who will NEVER like what they are given . NEVER.

We are so far from launch anything you see now has 100% chance of getting tweaked and by playing and CONSTUCTIVLY participating in the forums - Bug reports - and actual criticism will get players what they might like.

As for now look at some of the tutorials out there and see if it anything like you think you might like.

If you look at the posts here - the sky is falling and PvP is dead :)

Ravicus Domdred and Beli like this.
  15. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Lets not forget PVE "who will NEVER like what they are given . NEVER"., and dont give a chance to try things out themselves. Its definitely a case for both sides of the track. (i noticed you forgot to add that so im covering it for you!);)

16. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Sadly you are Wrong most PvE players will and do like what they are being given, hence why I did NOT put it into my post please do not try and think you have any idea what my thoughts are I am pretty transparent.

I am NOT saying they will not always want MORE but not complain about how they need something changed because it doesn't fit THEIR play style :-(

Like you so clearly pointes out a mage template is PvP champ ATM :-(

TY for supporting my idea so utterly completly

17. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Your welcome and thanks for supporting what i wrote earlier as well about the mages template! see we actually agree on one thing! Oh my god the sky just fell! :) I can agree to disagree with what you type in here, but wow did we just agree on something???? Finally!

Weins201 likes this.
  18. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Captain Jack wishes to congratulate you Asan, on having one of the last popular alt account posts on the forum!

An end of an era is upon us all in the ability for everyone to ask anonymous questions and make anonymous points without fear of retribution by posting as an alt is at an end and shall soon be consumed by the sands of time where all memory of the activity will be forgotten.

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  19. Xail

Xail Avatar

PVP is death...if for PVP you mean "Ok let's spending two hours to find someone that is so nice to accept a duel and make me this favour" than it is alive...
    And the reasons are obvious...no mechanics and no incentive to PVP of any kind...

I accept of course any point of views and any playstyle...but you can not argue with that...and no, meanly the bugs and the huge unbalances in the game are not the primary causes of this state of PVP...

20. Xail

Xail Avatar

Of course I hope this will change...but now face it for what it is...

mikeaw1101 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.