Selective Multiplayer - Interest Filter?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bowen Bloodgood, Aug 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fried Okra

Fried Okra Avatar

This is a great idea! Do you think Portalarium devs have already considered instances based on gameplay interest?

BillRoy likes this.
  2. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

I don't know about that, but "Themed PvP" would be great. Shirtless lumberjacks hewing limbs off each other, dirty miners beating each other to death with shovels and picks. Trying to make it out of the zone with your loaded pack mules and beetles alive. Fighting for nodes instead of just murdering for evil's sake alone. :)

By-Tor and jondavis like this.
  3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

heh themed PvP.. interesting concept but that sounds like the sort of thing players will have to organize themselves.
    Not entirely sure I follow since an 'instance' is just a copy of any particular hex on the map. I was only thinking of giving players more options for prioritizing players they can see in-game beyond a 'friends' list. People seem to be taking it in all sorts of interesting directions.

4. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

True, unless you had some kind of armor/weapon rating system to bar over geared characters from the zone. it would probably be fun if everyone participated in the spirit of the thing.

5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Didn't UO have a 'fight night' event at one point? I'm pretty sure we had one on Pac. It wouldn't surprise me to have a similar PvP event in SotA just for kicks but you could organize something with themes. I don't think you block people from coming into a hex though. It would fall into the realm of player run events. I'm mostly sure we'll be able to do events with in-game support features but I don't think it'll be in EP1 EP2 I hope. The right filter settings could help people get into private or public events.

6. Borg

Borg Avatar

You see problems where there is no problem
    Why do you think there will be a "Im a crafter" check box????
    You will be able to see only people you want to see.

7. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

The first post gave that example.
    The check boxes could be anything.
    And your right most check boxes are not going to be a problem if they show up in your instant or not.
    But check boxes like PVP, looting, and stealing could.

The question is more about, do pvp players drag their non pvp friends into pvp or vice versa.

8. Borg

Borg Avatar

And that is this concepts power, and its not centered just on PvP.
    Dev team creates the game mechanics and !PLAYERS! decide how and whom use them with.
    The instanced hexes used as a SandBox, letting the players the power to decide. Other games created instances just to divide
    people in 6 or 12 player groups, to neverending grinding. But this concept seeks just the oposite, encourage player comunities.

Afterall this is the essence of any RPG, People playing a game, the way they like to, with their own rules. A virtual world where you never know what will be next.

And all this as part of a global storyline the new world "NewBritannia". I understand the beginning of this new game is a solo player game adventure , but this game is going to grow and as everyone that played UO knows, the real fun playing RPG is to play with PEOPLE as much people as possible.

Exploring the world , collecting resources, crafting, fighting evil forces, making new friends and also new enemies.......
    The neverending grinding is over, wellcome to the neverending ADVENTURING......

9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I like the idea the OP has. I didn't read all of the posts so I'm sorry if this duplicates another post, but I mentioned this before in an old thread...

I think it's important in a selective multi-player environment to have exactly this type of feature where we can look for particular interests. Specifically I'm concerned about trade. We as vendors in a market place might be selling certain items. We should be able to pull up a window that allows us to say what we are selling. Also people who are looking for particular items should be able to search for particular things they want to buy in the areas where people sell their stuff in the cities. The search should make the appropriate vendors appear "relevant" to the seeker and vice versa.

Another place where we need this type of relevance is with sheet music. So if a group of bards are playing a tune together it would be nice if all of the bards have equal relevance to all the hearers so that you don't see only one or two bards and miss out the whole performance. I believe it's better to not see the performance at all then see only half of a show. I think this is really of high importance because I believe the music system will play a big role in the success of the arts in this game!

10. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

I don;'t think neither player A nor D would see player B.... It seems this game will fill instances with only people who will all see each other.

However, I think this system should not be as complicated as this. Check boxes make sense on paper but once you're in the game, if there are too many check boxes, there would be too many combinations which may lead to it being difficult to actually find someone who matches your combination exactly.

I love the interest filter though, if you are looking to buy and sell, a marketplace filter could match you with other people looking for the same, it is like entering a virtual flea market.

RP (everywhere)
    Open (everyone without any other filters) (everywhere)
    Hunting (wilderness only)
    Crafting(town only)
    Marketplace (town only)
    Group Adventuring (town only)(for group creation to go adventure)

are all good, exclusive and specific, filters.

I left out PvP on purpose, I think PvP should have it's own toggle, which will apply before all other interest filters. I also think some filters like Crafting and Marketplace should not have PvP versions. This essentially means that the first thing you decide is whether you want to be always flagged for PvP or not, after that you can decide what you actually want to do. If you want to craft or buy/sell PvP isn't really necessary (especially in town).

I am not sure how thieves would fit into this

I think there are still some holes in my idea

I think it is important to 'downvote' players too, so you don't get trolls in the RP channels. downvoting a player would decrease/disable the chances of matching with them again.

11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

The idea is meant as a guide for prioritizing matches.. not necessarily to exclude anyone who doesn't match your list. Though being able to exclude is interesting in of itself.

12. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

@Bowen Bloodgood

Gotcha, I was actually thinking these would be hard filters to selectively change what kind of community you want to be part of currently.

13. Fried Okra

Fried Okra Avatar

I interpreted the idea as a priority-based system, too.

Perhaps something like this: Each player is required to prioritize a list of values, "Gameplay Preferences", for example.

**This list is in a random order for purpose of my example. The very nature of this idea rests in the fact that every player will choose to prioritize this list in the order they see most fitting to their gameplay-type.

Highest priority - 1. PVP
    2. Trading​
    3. Exploring/Questing​
    4. Resource Gathering/Taming/Crafting​
    Lowest priority - 5. RP

Then, the server could be populated with different percentages of players based on Gameplay Preference + a list of "preferred players/friends"

Just a thought.

14. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

I don't really feel your priority values are correct in that. If anything, the two highest priorities should be RP/PVP followed by PVM. Trading can be done without social interaction because of vendors unless you're trying to sell at a bank in which case, you would want to turn your own to full on. At that level, they stated that they hope to be able to have around 100 people in a single area be available to interact with which is a lot for an online game of any type. I don't know too many people who would need/want to have anyone with them for resource gathering unless they are in a pvp zone in which case we still aren't aware how the priorities will be affected.

15. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

PvP I think is a whole different beast. You've either got it turned on or you don't.. I suppose if you want to temper PvP as a priority but still engage in it you can have it on and set it as a low priority..

I know that roleplayers will seek out other roleplayers and often would rather avoid k3w1 d00d35 like the plague.. while others simply don't care.

I'm not sure how viable this would be for business unless you're having a blacksmith's convention or something. . but I do like the idea of using priorities to organize public events.

16. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

The more you filter down a group finder, the fewer people there are in queue for each thing, and the longer you wait for groups. So we have to be careful about not going crazy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.