i'm gonna make a prediction

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by dracco, Sep 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dracco

dracco Avatar

there is three things that will change in this game .
    prediction 1.
    the deterioration of skills may be a problem when three player characters starts.
    having your main hard worked character second crafter and the last test character all deteriorating at the same time the thought will occur is the lose just as bad as the gains . im i working on my main and if my main is losing on a small level having two more with full lose am i gaining anything in the long run.

prediction 2.
    magic vers swords . as we all know this is still a hot topic . swords are fast gaining three weeks to a month basic training with heavy armor and tons of hp . magic will come in but it will take two months and by the time it will over shadow swords for damage . this is a constant in all games magery is harder to get because of the lighter armor and the regs you need to buy and low hp but the damage will be heavy. this will happen like it or not

prediction 3
    crafting and scavenging for gold as the game go's from final wipe the ore wood and skins will increase because of the increase of players . this will drop the cost of items made by players in a selling war to get gold to pay for house lots and supply's needed even with the backing of the mane character. this will not last long

a prediction i like to see is a player book driven quest with the backing of the gms . this will start a treasure hunt atmosphere. and this will encourage game growth and player involvement .

and with the end of this id like players to remember this is not the game as of yet so if and when the wipe comes just be ready all you did all your skills all your gold is gone in a sec so plan for this outcome your strength will be nothing and your skill will be gone and the game you think now may be totally different and not what you remembered . just a friendly warning

Moonshadow likes this.
  2. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Skill decay punishes:

1. Role-players
    2. People with families and little free time
    3. People with alts
    4. Military members who get deployed

As these points have been brought up repeatedly, Chris has countered that the maximum penalty caps at two weeks, so at that point it is no different to not play for two weeks or six months.

But I think he is missing the point that there is a penalty to all these people in the first place.

If you can't play everyday and grind for each alt, then you suffer. The mechanics make the game a chore rather than something you enjoy.

That is not good design.

I don't like being so negative, but I really think these decisions will hurt the game in the long run.

Moonshadow, Eriador, Flientje and 2 others like this.
  3. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I think its perfectly fine the way it is. I am against a hard cap. This is the alternative. If your lifestyle conflicts with the game its not the games fault. Its life. Sorry.

4. leilakin

leilakin Avatar

Chris' quote on decay penalty: "Decay only accumulates up to a maximum of 2 days worth of loss"

5. enderandrew

That appears to be a change from his earlier statements, but I still think he is missing the trees for the forest.

Decay means that alts become a chore.

The most important factor in a game is whether or not it is fun. When systems make the game less fun, you have to really consider what you're doing.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  6. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    most players wont have alts. at 45 dollar pledge you have a single char slot.

7. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

What if the most fun in the game for me is the decay challenge?
    it's not... nor do I hate it, couldn't care less if it was hard cap or decay actually.
    point being you can't label it as not fun and first post I ever saw on it was 2 days cap on decay :)

leilakin and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  8. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I haven't experienced it yet (haven't logged in awhile, will today or tomorrow, so that should be interesting) But not even experiencing decay people react negatively to it.. Because it is a negative. Just like people would react to death penalty skill loss. In a skill based game your character is simply the skills you worked to level up.. so in a sense, you are destroying the character they are creating. Most people don't want to experience that in any fashion. It's why most MMO's don't have level loss or skill loss on death, let alone from not playing/gaining exp/skill. It will never be met with widespread acceptance.

prediction 2: likely.. there is a balance there between cost/ease of getting it/uses.. but, that doesn't mean someone with melee or ranged non magic can't out DPS a pure magic user. Depending on the game and the magic, there are different styles, burst damage magic users and dot magic users.. with this game we can combine everything for maximum dps loaded into 1 character, so what is most likely to happen is people will min/max their skills for maximum damage output, maximum damage soaking, maximum healing... and we'll have our classic tank/dps/healer trio. and, like most games, a hybrid will be the best solo adventurer.. usually heavy plate wearer who can deal moderate damage and still heal themselves.. add pets(taming) and you've got a winner for solo.

prediction 3: I disagree. Rare ingredients will be used up and that is what people will continue hunting for.

player made book quests sounds too exploitable... pretty sure it was shot down before..

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  9. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

1. Not even close , oyu have absolutely no idea about decay , it has been stated over and over that it will take a LONG while to lose a point , so your idea is invlaid.

2. Balance is and will ALWAYS be an issue. it will get close and then someone will figure out a simpe setup to unbalance th scales.

3. Also there are rare ingredients will will be much harder to find - take silver - - - 4 ore to make an ingot 2 ingotsm for a taming collar, one collar upon a use. A long LONG itme before the desire runs out.

LONG

10. dracco

dracco Avatar

yes and now i know and so probable some others do .
    some times i make statements because i like some one saying it in-game and i like getting facts .

and after all is said if my predictions comes true id dump in my pants after all the changes it might go sideways and skills , decay , crafting ends up going 5 skills only pick the ones you like pay to remove and leave the rest and all crafting is upgraded to finding 3 instead of 1 that would shot my predictions in the lag.

ps if predictions came true we would be in the stone age in 1999 and all going to hell in 2015 . Still waiting for the stone age really mad that dint happen lol

11. enderandrew

If decay caps at 2 days, it can't take a long time to lose a point.

12. Numa

Numa Avatar

This is probably going to be a problem for people with 3 alts or more. Having to keep your main char and your secondary alt upskilled shouldn't be too much of a problem.

13. enderandrew

If decay caps at 2 days that means individual skills can drop in a single day. So every single day, 7 days a week you need to log on with all of your characters and use all of your skills.

The game becomes a chore rather than fun. Anyone with a life outside of game is penalized.

14. Gix

Gix Avatar

That entirely relies on the player knowing how to play the game (and what they like) before even playing the game; a terrible idea.

agra and Spoon like this.
  15. Gix

Gix Avatar

"Here, have a feature you'll be too stressed to use to patch our major design flaw!"

agra likes this.
  16. dracco

dracco Avatar

yes in October the wipe is gonna put them words to the test . as fore the re-spec idea its got maret but i do believe they are trying not to fallow ultimas build a skill drop a skill use a soul stone tactics . building a skill must take thought and to change one should be heartbreaking . just like in real life.

its not the destination you should remember it was the fun getting there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.