Lonely...World/Regional Chat Solution?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MightyUnclean, Nov 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MightyUnclean

MightyUnclean Avatar

I've just come back to SotA and, well, I'm lonely when I log in. I run around and don't see many people to talk to, or have much reason to talk to them other than to say "hello."

Am I the only one who feels this way?

Would a world or regional chat option help to alleviate this? I know people might be afraid of trolls, but a simple ignore function pretty much takes care of that.

Mata and Beachin like this.
  2. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

The gamer demographic for this game is pretty fractured between those looking for a solo experience and the multiplayer crowd.

So, even though there may be a lot of us playing, it is possible a lot are simply playing in single-player (ie: I am doing such right now, mostly due to the rather shoddy player etiquette that comes with the first week of releases).

Might be best to hook up with the community during one of the scheduled gaming events, they are listed in a book you initially received in your inventory.

As for global chat : I'm not a big proponent so I would not participate, since past my experience with them has mostly been chalk full of spammers, and not particularly useful.

But if you think it would help your play experience, go for it, I hope your voice is heard.

Good hunting. :)

Oba Evesor and smack like this.
  3. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Has considered join a guild maybe? I hear they can be lively places.:eek:

4. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Listening to Avatar's Radio helps.

Guild chat helps.

Checking the calendar for community events helps.

And the servers are sometimes lonely because this is a pre-alpha. You've got 50,000+ paid backers, but most aren't playing the game currently through the wipes. That isn't to say you can't enjoy the current state of the game. Some of us do. But most of the players are inactive. At launch the server will come alive in a big way.

5. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

And we'll all be split into different instances through the wonderful perfect algorithm so I could look for you all day but never see you since the oracle has almightly decided that you had different preferences than me. Or maybe there's no reason, but we still reached instance limits so you'll be pushed to a different "shard".

And on launch the alleviating /zone function will be gone.

Woohoo...

and yes I feel lonely but some people have been cool, exept they have a bad habit to run away without saying farewell.

The main reason for that is that even if you're a lord or a baron, people can insult you in all impunity because its just a title and has no bearing on anything exept if you own a PT... I've yet to see a word from the RP community in... well way too long :(

6. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

One suggestion might be to join a like minded guild or even see what event the guilds are hosting and join in. You can get to know a few people this way, add them to your friends list [(F) in game] .

Here are some suggestions.:
    List of Guilds

List of Events

I hope this helps.

As to the chat system, there has been talk of this before, Greyfox started a similar topic here not to long ago. I'm not sure if it stayed on topic or not but there is 9 pages of discussions. You might get a sense of what people think. I know there has been a few other threads as well but don't have a link at the moment.

I hope you find your way and if you ever need a hand with anything in game, ask around. Most players would be happy to help out.

Logain likes this.
  7. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

8. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

No world chat. Ever. Please.

9. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

Yes there will be no world chat

Whyterose Flowers and Atogrim like this.
  10. Gix

Gix Avatar

You're not alone, that's for sure.

While adding a world or regional chat alleviate the problem, it doesn't really address the issue not to mention adding problems of its own. If it's an option, a large portion of the community will opt out so your perception of the community size will still be significantly smaller than it really is.

It wouldn't solve this particular issue.

What you need is a guild. Not necessarily (but encouraged) to participate with, but to have guild chat. Guild chat will give you an idea.

I think the problem is that you got your title from out-of-game sources. I'm sure the title would have much more meaning had it been acquired in game... and even then it'd depend on the achievement of the title itself. I can't speak for everyone but the current titles don't mean anything to me and, thus, has no impact on how I'd treat people.

If I could, I'd set up my game to hide titles completely... and guild tags.

11. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I had proposed a very refined system to "unveil" people's titles and guild tags as you got to know them with player oriented customization by using the quest system... maybe its on the wish list somewhere but I've been met with dead silence... looks like roleplaying isn't a priority... the only people building back stories to their house/family and guild are mostly only POT backers...

Thats not how you build a community, I'll repeat it again and again ! You need to let people use their imaginations since even before the first alpha releases, back story is only the first step the world has to make sense !!! I remember in UO we had a guild all set up and different scenarios way before the beta even started... of course theres no direct comparison but still, the current system really does the opposite.

I get put into a pre-defined class by Arabella... then I get in there and noone cares about me, guilds ask me to join well... just because they want the most members, no roleplay nothing... noone even bothers to get to know me because well the oracle protects them from me what could I do anyways.

As it is right now, you can enter owls head, look for the main keep and get lost in the LABYRINTH of keeps and castles some that look like bigger than the main keep itself, all are supposedly paying taxes but Owl's head looks like a fisherman village with no torches to make the place pleasant at night...

Ok perhaps the director of the tesla tower is corrupted but still, makes no sense. Thats not conductive of a greal social or roleplaying experience, at all.

12. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I think the worse is that higher tier backers are supposed to already be "someone" in that world... I mean, they didn't build their castles with magic did they ? and then went back to the void waiting for Arabella to transform them into a neophyte in plain clothes with a castle that noone cares about.

It's really not well made... if you have to FORCE your way to roleplay then its not a RPG... look at WoW...

arf :(

13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

ahhh sorry you are lonely. you should grab some friends, join a guild, participate in some activites. I know it can get lonley otherwise since many jump into a new release to check it all out get their hats and then off they go. Music is totally fantanstic go serenade your woman, or get a woman if you want one that is.;) oh sorry too much coffee. *majoria tries to chill down a bit*;)

Whyterose Flowers likes this.
  14. MightyUnclean

MightyUnclean Avatar

Why? What if you had the option to just leave the world chat channel entirely? Then the people who want it would have it and those that don't, wouldn't.

RevK2 and Mata like this.
  15. Rasmenar

Rasmenar Avatar

16. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

The absence of classical mmo aspects, e.g. a world or regional chat or an automated mail system, made me support this game.
    So I am rather fundamentalistic about that and you won't make me turn around.
    So lets not engage in a pointless discussion ^^

Ravicus Domdred and Logain like this.
  17. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

In a classical MMO everyone started the game with exactly the same gold and items and had to earn everything they owned. Not with lots of unbreakable & buffed items, not a classical MMO aspect.
    In UO you got 2 weeks before your house fell apart and left you homeless (even if you had broken the rules and paid real life cash for it) here they can get 1 year out of game and some do not even have to pay any taxes. not a classical MMO aspect.
    So with what's now becoming a P2W casual MMO environment I can't see why anything is ruled out, and if you don't like world chat close the chat window.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.