What makes the LOTM and the DUKE Keeps unique now?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sold and gone, Dec 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kytail

Kytail Avatar

Yeah, just like the Lord's Houseboat. I still read the description of the houseboat as being an addition to your normal lot on the shore. Really, there's no mention of it requiring its own deed, but rather it sounds like you'd have your Lord's house on the shore with your Town deed, and then your Houseboat attached just offshore via bridge. No mention of the houseboat requiring its own deed.
    Wasn't until I hunted down a houseboat to realize that this was not the case.

Oh, sorry OP for being off-topic. :p

2. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

You can trade with a player who has a Baron Pledge and will pay extra :)

Numa and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  3. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

If the flexible placement stretch goal is ever met, you may end up getting that someday. Or it may happen in Episode 2.

I think that reward was unfortunately worded and a lot of people were disappointed. But they've also added free rewards to various tiers that weren't there during the Kickstarter as well.

4. Svahn

Svahn Avatar

I am biased, but castle walls of this kind that are discussed should in my opinion be restricted to keep and castle lots, period.
    The walls became the icing on the cake when the keep and castle lots grew to their current sizes.

And the walls shouldn't have been made into building blocks either - prefab / prebuilt castle walls rulez ;)

Duke Olahorand and Sold and gone like this.
  5. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Thank you everyone for your feedback. Many of you have requested the ability to dynamically turn the "old walls" on and off. That is actually an incredibly complex task because of how the navigation mesh works and that is why we have not yet tackled it (and are unlikely to solve it for Episode 1).

For now we are going to revert the static maps (Owl's Head, Ardoris, the 3 player islands off Kingsport) back to where they were with the original pre-placed walls surrounding Keep and Castle Lots. New static towns created will also include these original pre-placed walls. This will go into effect starting in R25.

Those of you who wish to have different walls or no walls at all on your Keep or Castle lot can continue to do so in Dynamic Player Owned Towns.

Additionally we are going to create more pieces for the wall kit including:
    • Ladder Free versions of all current pieces (to fit stairs)
    • Stairs
    • Corner In (crenelations face inwards)
    • Tower Corner In
    • T Intersection (2 variations)

6. redfish

redfish Avatar

The devs said you'll be able to craft the light stone walls in the coming release. It'll take a ton of granite, though, and a lot of work.

7. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

I am a bit on the fence [pardon the pun] to all this commentary, as I do want to see some sort of town wall, but yes, the ladders are kind of a setback from the original design we had.

Prefer the stairs and pull gate mechanics of the older Duke/LotM walls over ladders for the pledge.

And thanks to @DarkStarr for the ninja post while posting :)

Epona, Numa, Miracle Dragon and 3 others like this.
  8. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

If you are doing different versions, at some point is there a chance to get the bigger walls in the River Stone or White Marble patterns?

9. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

@DarkStarr I think I can speak for most of us .... we are not trying to be jerks we just don't want to be forgotten. Its Great the team is making so much new and exciting items /content, I think we are feeling some anxiety of being old hat before Sota is even released. and you all did such a fantastic job on the current baked ones .... Thank you for touching on the topic ...... This is why I am in awe of this game. /Darkstarr

10. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I appreciate the response to this. I am not a fan of how walls and fences are treated in game currently. It strikes me as greedy/cheap that you can buy a wall set and not have enough pieces for your lot. When you buy a set, it should just unlock the set for your lot in general. Buying multiple sets and more piecemeal pieces for one lot just seems wrong.

11. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    thank you @DarkStarr , your response is well needed and deserved. Although I am a real skeptic always, and will look for flaws in any situation, I really do know that you have a hard job and you do try. My main concern, which is not just related to sota, is when there is no response at all. Its like a slap in the face and makes people speculate on why they are being ignored. I know this is not the case but as an individual one feels that way. It builds until it cannot be stopped and negativity comes out. I apologize for this, as it is hard for me as a thinking individual with no feedback. So I do have to say, with all my heart, that I do appreciate you commenting on this. It shows that you do understand that all of us are human and many of the people in this thread have donated thousands if not tens of thousands to this cause. Thank you for acknowledging me/us. With all due respect and sincere honesty, I humbly thank you.

Enfo, Jacqueline, Lord Stein and 8 others like this.
  12. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Not to make things more difficult for you guys. :)

But I was looking at another thread that had a bunch of statue requests, and it would seem that making a wall piece that could hold statues would be a very popular addition.

For example:
    [​IMG]

Seems to me this kind of item harmony would help one item (walls) sell the other items (statues) and vice versa. ;)

Also, this:
    [​IMG]

13. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yes I mentioned owl statues ;) Though some would be nice on stone fences/walls too and not just the castle walls.

14. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

As a duke and a pot owner I like the fact that I can place my keep walls just outside the limits of the lot so I can use the full lot... And even expand them to incorporate part of my town (and eventually by building more pieces too.). So please don't take this option away.

15. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

Looks you have the option in your town, since Darkstarr said:
    "Those of you who wish to have different walls or no walls at all on your Keep or Castle lot can continue to do so in Dynamic Player Owned Towns."

So a good compromise for both sides of the fence - ehm wall, I would think.

*Salute*
    Olahorand

cartodude likes this.
  16. Deliverence

Deliverence Avatar

Thanks Starr, though I have a question I'm hoping you maybe able to clarify for me.

Starting R25 you mentioned that existing static maps will revert back to using the original pre-placed walls and that moving forward new static towns will also follow suit. This is fantastic news but I have to ask is this a permanent fix or just a short term solution until the new wall assets are created? I only ask because you stated "For now we are going to revert the static maps" which implies to me that this may change again in the future.

If you could please confirm this for my own peace of mind it would be appreciated.

Ice Queen likes this.
  17. Andrew Rodrick

Andrew Rodrick Avatar

This seems like a fair compromise and I'm glad to see stairs and ladder free versions on the horizon, thank you for taking the time to respond and layout future changes it is very much appreciated :)

Duke Albert and DarkStarr like this.
  18. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

In a far future we may solve the tech to turn those walls on and off, not Episode 1. So "For now" = "For Ep 1"

19. Deathblow

Deathblow Avatar

Prefer not to think as others do, best to think as for myself , and to know exactly what osi - SofA-FV is doing/thinking with unambiguous detail, might come in very handy. Make it happen community. Stopped making unreasonable demands, years ago.​

CaptainJackSparrow likes this.
  20. Kytail

Kytail Avatar

I suddenly have a vested interest in threads like this. Anyone care to take a stab as to why that is? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.