Which character archetype will you focus on?

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by Grogan, Aug 25, 2013.

?

Which archetype will you likely focus on in SotA?

1. Fighter

34.6%
  2. Cleric

20.5%
  3. Thief

20.5%
  4. Mage

38.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chripsy

Chripsy Avatar

I was lookin for a paladin class. how would that fit in.

2. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

The two choices I usually try first are:
    Control / pet mage (WoW Warlock, Aion Spiritmaster, GW2 Mesmer)
    Buffer / Off healer (WoW Paladin, Aion Chanter, GW2 Guardian)

3. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

It will fit in fine, but it's not a predetermined "class" that you choose when you create your avatar; instead, you put it together yourself by selecting "skills" that enable you to using healing magic (certain Mage skills?) while learning fighting skills (Warrior skills).

chrisbcarr likes this.
  4. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I guess I'm going to have to "roll my own". My character will be a Tinker, so primarily I will focus on tradeskills, but my specializations will be on mechanical and ranged combat (traps and crossbows). Primarily, I will be doing crafts and stayiing near towns, but I'll step into the wilderness on occasion, especially to explore new places and seek rare ingredients. For combat, I will keep at a distance if possible, using obstructions and mechanical traps to keep some cover if possible while sniping, and leave the in-your-face combat to my companions.

Based on Chris' magic system, I may take up Water and Air spellcraft, to help keep my opponents off balance, with perhaps some basic Moon and Earth to improve my endurance and strength (useful for both crafting and combat), and not be blind in the dark.

5. Chripsy

Chripsy Avatar

Yeaaa, Thanx Devoid thats kinda what i figured.. now i need to put a big red cross on my chest and call myself a templar :)

6. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Definitely a fighter type (specializing in double-bladed sword and dual swords) with a bunch of healing and fire-based ranged and area effect spells :cool:

Jambo likes this.
  7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I'm thinking pure mage, but I'm waiting on the list of skill trees to see for sure.

8. Aventari

Aventari Avatar

It is hard to choose without context. Some games it is easier to slide into the Fighter role, other games better facilitate Mage.

Regardless I usually end up playing support more often than not, so whichever way that works I'll most likely do that.

9. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I've never been one for 'archetypes'. If SotA lets me try out every skill, I'll most likely try out every skill. That's how I am in real life, and I'm playing myself, so I guess that makes sense.

Unfortunately, that will make me able to do everything at a basic level, but nothing to a substanstial degree. I suppose I will be a good tester to see if this 'classless' system truly supports deviation from traditional builds. If I'm not able to be effective in PVP combat or PVE combat solo play because of my choices in skills, I will be sorely disappointed.. But that's what alpha and beta are for, right? :D

10. Grogan

Grogan Avatar

Is that how it works? I hope you're correct. I truly dislike systems where everyone is the same.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  11. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I think it'll have to work this way.. no classes, and no limits to 'skill points' is what we've been told, right? That adds up to complete freedom of choice!

12. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

We've been told that in the solo player offline mode will likely have no limit to skill points, but the online version of the game they will have limits because they don't want a bunch of totally self-sufficient tank-mages running around that don't need anybody else in the world. They want us to have more skills than in UO but not be masters of everything.

The good thing is they separated the combat skills from the crafting skills. So your combat skill points won't count against your crafting skill points. So we should be able to have LOTS of skills as opposed to UO where we could only have 700 skil points max. That means you could only master 7 skills. So a good crafter could not be an adventurer, but in SotA this isn't the case. We can be both a grandmaster crafter and a grandmaster warrior at the same time.

13. vjek

vjek Avatar

Source? I'd like to transcribe the video where they said this.

14. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I remember RG saying that there won't be tank mages etc, and thier will be maximum skills. Also stated that the crafting skills would be separated from the combat skills.

I will have to approximate the time he said those things. It was more than once so check all the dev chats between March though May. I think you'll come across it then. I hope that helps.

15. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Maybe Dame Lori might have some info on that, or maybe a dev could reply to this thread and confirm or deny this.

16. MindBlast

MindBlast Avatar

Voted thief, it's something new to me. Always played as a regular fighter or mage... change is good.

I really hope this isn't the case. Can't see any point in that, there have to be some kind of skillcap...

17. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I really hope a skill cap is the case because I would hate to see everybody walking around with all the skills maxed out. There would be no unique characters.

Imagine that every warrior you face also has every magic skill too. That just makes poor game play mechanics. So a maximum skill is nessisary for people to become a master of a few things, or become a jack of all trades master of none. But master of everything is plane bad for the game.

BillRoy and DavenRock like this.
  18. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

I voted cleric, but I could have, just as comfortably, picked mage or thief (or bard). I plan on using whatever bard skills exist, and then I'll pick mage, cleric, or thief based on what complements the bardic arts. I'm sure there are other people out there who want to be more than one class. Any hybrid aspirations in this thread?

19. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

I almost always go with Ranger/Archer/Hunter types (pets/followers are a plus).

So whatever I can get that play-style out of, I won't be happy with a pure melee or complex and/or situational magic style.
    (My idea of complex may be different than other's. I mean extreamly basic.)

20. AuroraWR

AuroraWR Avatar

I have enjoyed playing clerics and rangers in the past. Not sure this time, though if there aren't a lot of cleric I wouldn't mind playing another.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.