Something wrong with EXP POOL and new players

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gatsu., Jan 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

See above you are losing exp because you have to many skills set to train . . . . . . .

2. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

I think you missed the part "Yes I did notice myself just today actually that I was losing XP with everything off but one skill at only level 63."

I do know why though and how to circumvent it though like its been already stated. its micromanaging at this point and it should eventually be better balanced to not easily drop like it doing.

3. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Just curious, your adventurer level and the mobs you are referring to in your example?

4. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

Yes, I've always found the current design approach a really strange mix. Often games will control character progression through experience (in one form or another), resources or gold, or skill use. For some reason SotA has opted to do all three. At the same time.

Ice Queen likes this.
  5. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Ok Sorry -

I had a HUGE reply but something you are saying is not making sense - either you are using broken weapon and hitting but not killing or innates you don't think are rellevent are turned on and they are gaining and using exp.

Even a Grey wolf (which you should kill in like 2 - 3 hits at level 63) will gain exp over the points used for that ONE skill and ONE kill . . .

I will ask for more specifics - what skill - what where you killing - if you can go make a video and scroll thru all you skill trees and make sure there are no innates on . . . .

If you really only had like Blades set to raise and used a good weapon on a low level creature (small Corodile) it is possible you swung more than the exp it gave but . . . .

Fister Magee likes this.
  6. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

?????? - If you lock a skill while training, so it doesn't use exp but are still using the skill (or ascociated innates) it will NOT decay as it is still being used. All you did was prevent it from actually gaining and useing exp points,

It is like going out golfing and hitting 50 balls out of the sand - you are working on your sand game - it is NOT hurting your golf game it is just focusing on the sand shots.

All this negativity is just plain sad.

I know people do not like the FACT tat they have to THINK while playing (or plan a little bit before going out, during or after) - hence why I have asked over and OVER to have a release where we do NOT start with 4x exp and let the players actually feel the pain of playing this game as it is designed. I would also shut off the quest exp points and make player WORK for their skills then we could actually see how imbalanced (or not) it is.

OH THE SCREAMING THAT WOULD HAPPEN THEN :)

But I am done here sorry I am not going to get worked up over this anymore - -

Manage your skills - Learn to play the game.

Miracle Dragon and Fister Magee like this.
  7. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

I'm not screaming. I've done what you said above, started this release on a basic $45 account with no 4x bonus and haven't completed a single quest. I jumped straight into combat and have been going ~40 hrs or so now.

It doesn't require deep thought at all, I don't have to think all that much to turn off a skill I'm not interested in pumping at the moment. Focus stuff? Meh, off. Blades? Yes please. What it does seemingly take a lot of, is time. I had a few extra days at the end of the holidays and before work to throw a lot of it into SotA, but this much progress would have taken me weeks to say the least any other time.

So screaming I am not, but the jury is hung on fun at the moment due to the combat grind. You'd need to add the rest of the game in there to change that to a positive outcome.

8. Fox Cunning

Fox Cunning Localization Team

This is absolutely true!
    I think I stated in a different thread that I would not mind at all if levelling up required dozens of years, but only as long as the time spent doing it was fun and rewarding.
    At the moment it's mostly just leveling up for the sake of it, artificially so to speak.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  9. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

When you use terms like "the pain of playing" in your argument then you're probably not making an argument for a fun game. No one is asking for the game to be easy - just for it to be fun and not frustrating.

10. kazeandi

kazeandi Avatar

Don't start with the "learn to play" stuff. Seriously.
    If you didn't know yet that the XP of the individual locked skill decays and then goes into the negative, feel educated now, because that's what several players tested.
    You lock something, then, when you try to gain further, it'll take time until the green skill progress bar will pop up again.

Also, fix your keyboard, your capslock seems to have problems.

11. aix.smichel

aix.smichel Avatar

Started the game 3 days ago. Very interresting stuff. I was wondering what was this pool thing in the UI and why it was going down !

Miracle Dragon and 4EverLost like this.
  12. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

It might be helpful if the skill gump has option to "lock all", so we don't have to flip through a bunch of pages and click a bunch of buttons just so that we can focus on one or two skills.

13. Noric

Noric Avatar

Said this in the other pool thread... but i still think they need to implement something to cycle through each skill that's on and get it to level once and move on. So much xp stuck "between the cracks".

14. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I really like what you said about having a book open with a 'don't show this again' option.. and it made me think..

I really get annoyed by the 'tutorial pop-up windows'. I close them and don't read them, even though in hind sight, the information in them is probably invaluable to me as a new player. I'm conditioned from the internet to hate popup windows!

So what I'd really like to see, is a 'Help Book' that can be opened anytime. All of the tutorial tips should be accessible by category, or alphabetically within that book. Instead of opening a popup window, open the book, if you check the 'don't show this again' option, then just have the book's icon bounce in the tray (the upper right command icons tray would be a perfect place), and have the bookmark of the help book switch to whatever page the game noticed you might need help with. (This would allow me to easily browse through the tutorial information at my own pace, in my own time, in a 'book' which is much more pleasant and consistent with the game).

15. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I think it would be good if the game's default wasn't to keep all the skills open, but to be 'smart', and only have a number open that would ensure you are filling the pool and not going negative. If you try to open more skills than would allow you to continue to fill your pool, then maybe the text colors could turn from green to yellow, then to red, making it clear that you have too many open, in a visual way that you can respond to easily as you play around with it.

16. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

There is some misinformation in this thread regarding the adv. experience pool that must be confusing to new players. Some people are saying that you need experience in the pool to kill things, which isn't the case. You fill the experience pool by killing things. When you are training a particular skill, part of the experience pool is spent on levelling up that skill. The more skills you train at once, the more experience you use up. If you use up more experience than you gain by killing mobs, your experience pool empties and your progress gets slower and slower.

If you are not training any skills and your experience pool is still being depleted, please look again to see if there isn't some skill being trained after all. This happened to me and I discovered that some innate was still set to train and was depleting my pool. If you really have all skills set to not train, and your experience pool is not growing when you kill mobs, I believe it is a bug.

I think that the intention of the devs is that new players get immersed in the story (which is still a work in progress), talk to all the NPCs they meet, and complete all the beginner quests they come across. Doing that will give new players a substantial pool of experience and a substantial amount of gold so that they can buy equipment, pay trainers to learn new skills and increase proficiency of those skills by using them. If new players don't do that and simply go adventuring with an experience pool which is almost empty, they will have a hard time and will seem to not make any progress.

I agree with a lot of the criticism voiced in this thread about the use-based skill system as it is currently implemented. It is not fun micromanaging which skills are being trained and constantly turning training on and off in the skills menu. Since skill progression is faster the larger the experience pool is, players have to be mindful of keeping a lot of experience in their pool if they don't want to progress at a snail's pace.Now that I am at a higher level, I have to turn off all my skill training whenever I want to gather resources in a beginner area because otherwise my experience pool depletes too rapidly. The current system forces you to keep to areas which are challenging (equal or higher level mobs) if you want to progress. The only other solution is to take a pet along which will do all the killing for you so you don't have to use any skills.

Fringe, Aldo, kazeandi and 4 others like this.
  17. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

HI! I finished settings things up for capture with ( OBS ) so I will in the next few days make a video. Also I did notice one of my skill not leveling up at all.. " Inner Streigth" I reported it but they are not getting this error. so I am going to make a video extacly that showing whats going on.. ( Providing I can REPO it )..

I also going to make another video about Leveling up with commentary as well and it will be a detailed explanation of what going on and what I have personally discovered so far.. I am still am learning as well about fine tuning certain skills to level up without drain the pool so much.

Gatsu. and Acred like this.
  18. John_Doe

John_Doe Avatar

I think he may be right or at least on to something. Before started grouping with high level players my Adventure pool was 186 while my producer pool was something some 6 figure number. My adventurer level close to 20 at that time.

19. Elfenwahn

Elfenwahn Avatar

Could someone please explain to me this "you need a full pool for leveling" thing?

Lets say, I kill a 1000 monsters that are at 100 XP each. So in total 100.000 XP.
    And I have the skills I want to train open, e.g. Sword basic. Then with every hit I put maybe 20 XP into that skill.
    So after 5 hits per monster, the monster is dead and I might have put that XP directly into the sword skill. After the 1000 monsters my pool is empty but 100.000 XP are no in my sword basics skill. All fine.

Now, I experienced that I get at maximum 1/500 of my experience pool into my skills (for high level skills).
    So I could in theory block even the last skill (Sword basic) and kill the 1000 monsters without gaining any skill. Then I will have a pool of 100.000XP in the end.
    After that I look for a training dummy (or gust ball) and train the sword basics skill. Each strike putting 200 XP into my swords skill (at the beginning, due to the 1/500 ratio).
    However, in the end I have 100.000 XP in that sword skill anyways. There was no addition "interest" gained.

So why do I need to perform this micro management? In the end I get the same result.

I know that if I have all my skills open (I usually do), all my skills gain XP at a slow rate. But hey, all these skills I want to increase, so no need to micromanage. One day they will be high enough. Not?

Aldo and Alley Oop like this.
  20. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

They will still go up yeah, just not as fast as if you kept a full pool. You don't NEED to micromanage anything, it just speeds you up (which many people don't care about).

Fister Magee, Aldo and 4EverLost like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.