I hate the nighttime cycle

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Warrick, Mar 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

My personal preference was a 2 hour cycle.. but I can only imagine people complaining even then that night time was more than 10 minutes. Don't mean to be harsh but 15 minutes out of an hour is plenty short. Comparatively speaking it's the Earth equivalent of 6 hours of dark a day. That's less dark time than I get in the middle of the summer. Novia isn't the land of the midnight sun.

2. smack

smack Avatar

Adjust your monitor or display driver properties and play with the Brightness, Contrast, and Gamma values. Then, in-game, adjust the Brightness as well. If all else still fails, /bug it and specify all those values in the bug, include make/model of monitor.

I think the lighting in the game needs some major overhaul, and the scenes and other assets need lots of fixing.

3. Gregoire Visaard

Gregoire Visaard Avatar

Why did they go with a New Britainna day being only one hour in real time?

That seems to be a very compressed period of time. I wonder what the logic/thinking was in the design process?

Personally, I think that maybe slowing a NB day down to say: 1 NB day = 8 hours of real time time would be better or feel more normal with variations for shorter/longer periods of light/darkness based upon seasonal patterns as we experience in real life. Just my thoughts.

Fister Magee and Lumajo like this.
  4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

They wanted a 1/24 time ratio.. apparently it makes for easy math.

smack likes this.
  5. smack

smack Avatar

Probably also to allow for astronomical events every hour, so everyone will have a chance at it even if they can't play long. I'd still prefer an even split at 1-hour as it is now or even 2-hours preferably.

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  6. Lumajo

Lumajo Avatar

I don't think we should have to mess with our monitor or gpu settings tbh, I don't have this problem with night time in other games.

7. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

As night dweller/shadow assassin, no, please no.

Bring a light source with you.

And watch your back.

Carefully.

8. Gregoire Visaard

Gregoire Visaard Avatar

I thought KB was a Florence Nightingale Amelia Earhart type avatar! Well guess I will have to adjust my hit list to reflect this new found data! :eek:

9. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I like the cycles, but it is a huge pain in the arse to wait for the daytime window to sell or buy things in towns on a schedule (Etceter). Make the cycles larger, it shouldn't take 'all day and all night' to load 2+ scenes and run across a town :p only to have to wait for the next morning coming within 30 mins :(

10. Lord Blackthorne

Lord Blackthorne Avatar

I like how dark it gets. What's the threat of night or the pros of knowing how to navigate a dark area if night can be turned to day via a brightness slider?

Bust out your torch or light spell and enjoy the possible danger :)

Ravenclaw likes this.
  11. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

There are spells you can use in the dark.....Light spell and also Night vision spells. I find most times i am in the dark so i tend to use the spells to get around. So its not really a problem. You could use a torch too iffen ye be scared of the dark. LOL

12. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I find the overland map pretty annoying at night and scenes kind of annoying hoping for day to come back! I've played other games with night cycles and it's obviously night without it actually being so dark you can't make out objects.

I'm going to be tweaking my settings though because navigating the overland map at night is rather dismal.

I'm not criticizing the night cycle here or the length of it, and until I spend some time tweaking I can't fault the darkness settings either. But it's never felt more dangerous to me or anything, just hard to see and less enjoyable to play.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
    Budner, Paradox2 and agra like this.
  13. UnseenDragon

UnseenDragon Avatar

When I went from a PC to a Mac (Powerbook), the nighttime became a much bigger issue to the point of being virtually unplayable even with a light spell. I assume it's not intentionally to have that much difference between platforms (or maybe it was a desktop vs. laptop thing).

14. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

But you told me you were watching my back! 8^p

15. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

This whole thread can't be about an issue with the cycle - it's the issue with brightness during the night and our inability to do anything about it (except as someone mentioned - logging off, because that's probably the best time to do it).

Minecraft has a day/night cycle that nobody cares about, and is central to the game, and it works because there are portable light sources that let you properly deal with it. Obviously we wouldn't use that solution here (except in housing), but once we've resolved the issue about how we deal with travelling at night, we've also resolved the "night time cycle" issue.

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  16. Robby

Robby Avatar

The night cycle should be there in some form to add a sense of "survival" to the game. I think traveling at night ought to be more dangerous because... well... its night! Maybe more zombies will pop out of the grave or more ghosts will spawn. The visibility decrease gives a decrease in sight distance. A lantern or torch improves visibility but only near you in a certain radius. Dungeons are better pitch black I feel. Adds to the need for oil or cloth to burn in lantern or on torch.
    It adds a difficulty to the game that players need to work around. Gives a reason for lanterns and torches to exist. I guess if it is just going to be annoying for most though... Im not sure what else can be done other than keep visibility high in all dungeons and forests at night =(. I guess night cycle could just increase spawn, lower your chance to hit without torch or lantern.

Ravenclaw likes this.
  17. Favonius Cornelius

Favonius Cornelius Avatar

The nighttime should be shortened to a half of its current length for the live game. I would say keep it realistic, but the only value of night is for people to do night time activities (skulking around doing this or that). Seeing as how skulking around PvE is meaningless, I rather be able to see what the heck I am doing, with a patch of night for immersion.

18. smack

smack Avatar

Nighttime is effectively already 7.5 minutes...so you'd want it shortened to 3.25 mins of every hour? Awesome.

But yeah, there isn't much functional use to night time currently, although they've said there will be more events that depend on it in the future. Some skills are (more) useful at night time, and the undead mobs are more powerful (e.g. % greater HP, Focus) at night than during the day -- but it's unknown if you get more XP for taking them down. Rather than shortening the night, I'd continue asking for more events / triggers that depend on this cycle, and giving them ideas/suggestions as well. It should be a goal to see similar threads that actually complain that nighttime is too short and should be extended or simply just balanced / equal to daytime.

19. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I simply don't want the degree of darkness in forest scenes to be a reason to find something - else - to do.....
    Currently it borders on just that.

Xandra7 likes this.
  20. smack

smack Avatar

I can think of a hundred creative, fun, and rewarding things to do in a dark forest, and I hope the devs do too. That said, I think there are technical issues preventing how the dark should look currently. Just as there are extreme experiences where the same dark forest is at the same time both too bright or too dark depending on your configuration. I think you know they're working on fixing that. A dark forest shouldn't be as pitch black and dark like a dungeon without any ambient light save for a single torch. I think that's how some people are experiencing the dark forest. It's likely too dark beyond what the devs expect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.