#1 rule, Don't copy UO..... period...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SmokerKGB, Sep 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

2. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I take no offence to anything you say, Mystic. I realize we are on opposite sides of the same coin, we both have strong ideas and passion for the game we play. Without debates like these, there would never be any changes made in next generation games.

Mystic and BillRoy like this.
  3. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

@#1 ~ I love D3 and after seeing that constelation looking tangled spiderweb of a talent tree, I'd never play POE, even though ARPGs are my favorite genre of game. And with the changes on the way for D3, if I don't like SoTA, I don't think I'll be missing much.

@#2 ~ I don't plan on playing out the "personal story/quest line", I'm here for the play it your way thing (if that works out the way it's been explained), and my way doesn't include a little note pad, but I don't think it'll be nessesary unless you want to play it that way.

4. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

The Passives Tree in PoE is only daunting if you look at it all at once. SImply take the character you choose and see what the next few possible nodes are compared to what type of character you want to build. Not too much different than the skills in UO or the skill tree in WoW (aside from being more open and not limited to a few direct paths).

Anyway, given the rest of your posts, you're definitely a Blizzard fan (not saying it as a bad thing, just a statement of fact), so again, I wonder if you're not in the wrong place. I guess time will tell.

BillRoy likes this.
  5. Donferth

Donferth Avatar

Le sigh... Do we all realise every one is here because we want to be? And do we all realise this game isn't going to be an extreme this way or extreme that way, but a healthy in the middle so its a bit for every one, with its own twist to make it appealing and sexy for us all? Yes I said sexy.. Hush.. The thing I find most dishearterning is we all paid and were all here for a common purpose yet I'm seeing "Go back to WoW" and "You don't belong here". Seriously?

Are we not all here for a common goal, of supporting a game we would want, based on something we all love? I'm not talking Ultima, but the concept. They play style, the versatility of the game, and the out of the ordinary. The thing that makes it and every single one of us unique for it? Its the very same concept that has people throwing thousands of dollars at it, and to those of us who don't have thousands, we throw what we can. Its the same thing that has the man who even is providing us this opportunity is throwing millions at it. The community, the concept, the aboriginal, the heart and dedication of so many as well as the ideas every one is devoting..

Let us remember this is why were all here. So if we can be, please be done with the whole bash-a-mole with a ban hammer, and quit trying to tell people that they don't deserve to be here, or they shouldn't be here because they don't agree with you, or how you see it. There is a good reason why people are here, and they deserve to be here. I'm ashamed to see the poo flinging monkeys out and about here, but I hope they go back to their cages and we can get back to the level headed sanity and we can get back on track and to what were all here for again.

In the Emperor's name, stay shiny SotA ;)

AuroraWR, rild, BillRoy and 1 other person like this.
  6. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

True, however, in the case of UO, the odds were messed with to be against BOTS succeeding. Meaning, you no longer had guaranteed places where you could find valorite or verite. It was just random.

So, normal people who tried mining basically played the worst odds ever.

Meanwhile, the botters just got slower yields. But what do they care, the games doing it for them while they're playing Playstation.

I'm all for magic stuff in SotA, because having magical loot is always exciting. But, I think the stuff should be rare/hard for you to acquire. like how the old D&D/Ultima games used to be.

I remember finding a ring of protection+1 in Pool of Radiance for the first time. It was glorious.

7. Fried Okra

Fried Okra Avatar

Please copy UO - my two cents.

God, Montaigne, postulio and 3 others like this.
  8. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Well then, What does item based mean to you? I think I explained my thinking quite clearly, the better gear you have the more damage/protection you have. I totally disagree with you about Vanq weapons, every PK that ever killed me had a Vanq weapon. Then AoS nerfed them all, not that they were usless, players who had them never took the chance of losing them by taking them out of town, sad imo. Insurance changed all that if you could afford it. Trammel cured the PK problems.

I don't understand what you are talking about "massive loss", that's only an opinion, trying to sell something at an overpriced rate and not being able to sell it equals no profits at all. At this point I'm not too sure you have ever played WoW because 1000 gold actually is worth something to the average player, most don't have much more from what I can tell. You know no one advertises how much gold they have. I had 11k gold and told my nephew when he was playing and he was truely shocked, he never had more than 200 gold in his life. To say it was a "loss" is not logical, it cost you nothing to get in the first place, you can make the choice of not selling it for that price and holding out for a higher price. But then you need to store it somewhere, Item count is limited severly in WoW.

You can even barter with a player directly, but of course they are going to the AH to see if the price is fair before they make the purchase. That's why I think everyone here is so afraid of an AH setting, you say it drives the price down, well of course it does, that is what "competition" is all about. You can't get away with overpricing your item, but you can make a fair profit. An AH only levels the playing field for both Sellers and Buyers.

A Revolt? What revolt, only the shop keepers would revolt, most players (buyers) would appreciate "Price regulations", that's just my opinnion. And that's what the idea would do, regulate pricing. I didn't say the Royal vendor should sell everything for dirt cheap. It would only give the merchants a starting price, if the want to make a sale, they can price their item for less, undercutting the Royal vendor.

9. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

That was unnecessary.

10. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

You're not the first person to say that I don't belong here.

11. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

That was unnecessary.

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
  12. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

Yes, please take a moment to stop and take a breath or three. I wouldn't want to have to come back with a fire-hose to help everyone cool off. :D

13. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

MMmm I didn't know that, must've happened way after my leave of that game.

I kinda somewhat agree with you on the magic items, but I am really really really for the idea that everyone should have equal footing in PvP when it comes to gear. Theres several ways to make it work (full loot after death is one as it dissuades people from bringing expensive gear into PvP, another is having magic items not be all that powerful vs players etc), I'm sure there are others but thats all that came to mind.

As unnecessary as quoting the first and last sentences of a post leaving out the thoughts which were in between?
    I know, you should go play it. I hear theres some important issues that require your masterful tact and input.

God likes this.
  14. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

There was no need to quote the parts that wouldn't merit a warning should they (or similar) be stated again in the future.

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
  15. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

Context, my dear Watson, Context is everything.

16. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

I read the context.

It does not help your case.

17. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Prepare yourselves, A Ban Hammer approaches.....

18. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

If anything, this thread should get LOCKED.

19. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Your right, I appologize. I should have kept that to myself, sorry.

Thanks for chastising others, and deleting the guy who was yelling at me.

20. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

Thanks.

We try to be as even-handed as possible on the mod team.

Okay, that I can't take credit for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.