This is why Gold Farmers HATE Obsidian Crowns

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Poor game design, May 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

OUT of LUCK

Time Lord and Jarl Atogrim like this.
  2. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Just make sure to burn all your documents in the Hidden Vale accounts or we'll have a horrible scandal down the road... *cough cough* I mean YOU'LL have a horrible scandal because of course I'd never be involved in that *hands over some rather thick manila envelopes that have nothing but account numbers on the outside of them*

3. Eina Stein

Eina Stein Avatar

Sh*t outta luck.

Im suggesting that you will be milked out of more money if you want to play this game.

Jarl Atogrim likes this.
  4. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Now that's the Blake Blackstone I remember.....
    I too, miss your humor here Blake.

Beaumaris, Jatvardur, mbomber and 4 others like this.
  5. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Im not sure what you are even referring to... *Casually places folders into a locking briefcase*

Jatvardur, mbomber, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  6. Drocis the Devious

I'm not adverse to paying more money for things that I find valuable. For example:
    • If there were a special quest that required 100 Obsidian Crowns. I'd be ok with that. But only if the quest seemed interesting to me. If the quest stunk I would be very VERY skeptical about buying another one.
    • If there was a rare merchant that showed up and sold a special recipe that made black robes, I would buy that with Obsidian Crowns.
    • If there was a special event that seemed like it would be fun and entertaining to me. I'd pay Obsidian Crowns for that.
    If there comes a time when combat modifiers are sold in the store, that's where I'd draw the line and be upset. What's happening now is not a big deal and is actually a very good way to help continually fund this game.

mbomber and Time Lord like this.
  7. Gregoire Visaard

Gregoire Visaard Avatar

BDF,

This is my concern as well. I would really love to see something else to further protect our accounts. I also really want to see a functioning in game economy that really works.

I have no idea what would happen to your account if it were hacked and all your stuff taken? Are you just **** out of luck or can/will Portalarium try to help you rebuild your account back to its state prior to being hacked?

I imagine they would, but it would involve some serious fact checking on their part and authentication of the account theft on our part.

As far as gold farming/selling. I am not a saint when it comes to buying some gold a time or two back in the day playing UO. Then as the years went by and I saw how the economy of the game went to ****! Then saw what was going on in WOW. I really began to resent this aspect of the game. It is not something I support or want to see happen here.

I feel the developers should do what every is within their power to eliminate as much of it as they can WITHOUT making the regular marketplace and the buying/selling of items prohibitive.

I also hope as they go along the path that they are on. That they don't get greedy and cut out anyway for players to try and recoup some of the money they have spent on this game. Up until recently, Selling your account and pledge allowed that to happen, even maybe make a small profit.

It makes it a lot easier to justify spending some real money on playing a game if you can realistically find ways to recoup most of the money you have spent upon the game.

Not sure how that sits with others, or how Portalarium feels about all this but it's where I am at... I enjoy this game immensely and am looking forward to many years of fun.

It is a great release from the constant stress of day to day life.

8. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Thanks. Something learned ^^

9. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Can you give an example of what you would consider a "combat modifier" ?

10. Drocis the Devious

Buy Obsidian Crowns!
    Get 25% more damage!
    +5 on all dodge rolls!
    Buy a Bow of Insta-Stun!
    Buy a new innate ability to makes you more resistant to water magic!

I have no problem with an ability that increases the rate at which you gain experience. Or with a gathering bonus. I think the line involves when two players compete either via crafting or combat directly, one has an advantage over the other because of the secondary currency alone.

Here's a perfect example of something that doesn't cross the line but gets right close to it.
    • Potion of Stamina: Decreases focus use from sprinting
    Because I can root or stun, or even make someone burning through their focus take damage (chaos spell), I this is ok because it's not going to win a fight for them. You don't "sprint someone to death". :)

11. Drocis the Devious

I agree with everything you said here. My thoughts exactly.

12. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

When will we expect to read news about Hidden Vale Paper scandal?

Jatvardur, mbomber and Time Lord like this.
  13. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Not to worry friends. We know people at NBNN. It will just be a blip on the radar and back to business as usual.

Alley Oop, Jatvardur, mbomber and 2 others like this.
  14. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

I do, a bit. I get the idea of allowing folks that don't play a lot to get some extra XP when they do have time to play. I'm all for that.

I can play a lot, and if these are available I too will use them. I game and work and that's just about it, and when i game I do it like a job!
    So me, spending 8-12hrs a day in-game w/a10% modifier is a huge advantage. One I'm happy to pay for. I'm also happy to buy say 25 crowns in the early stages, vendor them and buy the skills and early gear I need to get my initial levels. All of which will be used in combat.

That, to me, is a combat advantage.

Again, not arguing against the coins. Just saying that IMO they can offer a combat advantage.

15. Favonius Cornelius

Favonius Cornelius Avatar

I see the usual apologists are making all the excuses in the world for these Pay 2 Win corrupt practices.

Soon you'll be preaching to empty forums. This game is finished for sure.

Moonshadow likes this.
  16. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

If they began selling Repair Kits in the store, while making them a 1:500 drop in-game - would you be OK with that ?

17. Eina Stein

Eina Stein Avatar

Completely agree. A month from now when they say it will increase your damage "but only for a short period of time", Drocis will be arguing that it doesnt matter. I love free to play games that rope you in and then charge you for store items. The difference is, we all paid a boat load of money up front. I want that obsidian cloak quest for my $1600, not 100 COTO's or whatever.

18. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

I highly doubt that this forum will be empty considering we always have something new to argue about every other week.

Spoon, Jatvardur, mbomber and 3 others like this.
  19. Drocis the Devious

I get that. And indirectly it is an advantage. But this is a consensual pvp environment and levels are supposed to be giving power to players on a curve. What this means is that people that don't want to fight you, don't have to. Even in Rats Nest someone can go inside their home and hide. Or leave an area where you fighting. Or not go into a pvp area at all. It also means that as you level up into the 120 range or whatever, someone else at level 80 will become more and more competitive with you statistically because of all the random numbers used in the combat math as well as the minimum damage numbers being closer together the higher level you are.

With or without the experience boost though, you as a power gamer still have an advantage. Yes, you have more of an advantage with the experience boost, but allowing people to obtain a boost in experience actually allows them to grind less than perhaps they normally would have to when trying to reach a competitive level for pvp. These people (like me) have less time to spare, so it may be a difference of being capable of pvping months earlier than they would have without the boost. From my point of view, people like you with tons of time will always have tons of time, so why not reach competitive pvp levels earlier and have fun sooner? I'm never going to catch up to you anyway so not having the boost is only hurting people that don't mind paying for it but don't have the extra time.

I read a quote about EVE recently where someone said "EVE doesn't let you pay to win, they let you pay to avoid the grind." I think that's what we should do here.

mbomber and Oba Evesor like this.
  20. Drocis the Devious

I'm gong to put your quote on my wall inside my wizard tower and laugh at it every day this game stays open.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.