Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Wolves and Bears behaving like Does

Discussion in 'Release 31 Feedback Forum' started by Mactavish, Jun 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elfenwahn

Elfenwahn Avatar

It actually feels a bit too realistic. It tells you: don't hunt with a sword. Use a bow like most other hunters since the bow was invented.
    If you want to hunt with close combat weapons you need to sneak or run fast. This makes leather a bit less abundant than it was currently.
    I really like the idea to go a different way than each and every other (online) RPG.

But it still needs some balancing to make it fun and some way how to overcome that in game.
    As noted above packs of wolves should attack. Maybe we should remove that flee behaviour for bears.
    And the (new) players needs a guide that tells them "hunt close to lairs", "elder/obsidian wolves always attack", "hunt at night when they are sleepy", "hunt them when they killed a rabbit".
    Maybe we need even some hunt skills to lure/provoke animals.

2. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

There seem's to be 2 issues here, 1: is the intended dev's new NPC behavior that the wolves/bears run away ( which needs to be tweaked/fine tuned ) and 2: the other ( more of a bug ) when the Wolves or bears just do not fight till you just finally kill them.

I ran into the (2: bug ) in Eceter mines when I chased a Obsidian wolf and I cornered it against a wall. I was using Death RAY and searing ray Multiple times with no feedback from the wolf, ( it did move forward once then back again ) I finally just walked up to it and starting hitting it and still it just stood there till I killed it.

Right after that incident almost the same thing happened again ( 2: Bug ) with another obsidian Wolf. ( again in Eceter mines ).

3. agra

agra Avatar

Seeing inconsistent behavior in wildlife and humanoids alike, in build 437.
    I've been able to range-kill any/all creature I've come across with zero risk. Just stand back and hit it with spells. They don't path towards me, typically. They just stand there and burn or do nothing while their health drops. Humanoids sometimes will attack in pairs, but single humanoids will just stand still on fire, or stand ready, but take obsidian arrows repeatedly. It's almost like NPC's now have a 5-10m visibility radius, and the rest of the world is in a fog of war, for them.

I don't know how this can be considered ready for production, at all, in any way. I mean... they have a QA department.. yet?
    Wolves and bears will sometimes run, sometimes stand still while you kill them, and sometimes attack you. It's all very unpredictable and immensely frustrating.

4. Gretchelle

Gretchelle Avatar

If it is realism that the Developers are trying to achieve, specifically the fleeing wolves, then why is it that I can just mosey on through a pack of 5-6 wolves without them even giving a notice. A lone wolf I can understand running away, but a pack of wolves? Come on!

Bluefire and Dariog like this.
  5. Scrambler

Scrambler Developer Emeritus

Agree on both issues. Good to get feedback on the new behavior, I'm sure we will tune the heck out of it. The flee behavior sounds like it has some edge case trapped issues that need to be addressed, I'm not surprised.

6. QTIP

QTIP Avatar

If I wanted realism, I would go outside. :) I miss hunting. Thanks to all who posted they miss it too; I feel less, well, alone. I too rolled with all other changes; but this one is really not to my liking. Sadly. In fact, I don't even play anymore.

sake888 likes this.
  7. sake888

sake888 Avatar

Yeah, gonna probably wait until group 90 lot selection before I go back in and hope the it's better by then. All I'm doing now in game is shaking my head.

agra likes this.
  8. Retro

Retro Avatar

1.) Enter Deep Raven's Wood
    2.) Go to wolf area, wolf lackeys, part like the Red Sea when you walk amongst them...
    3.) Look for their 'Alpha' the feared 'Obsidian wolf'
    4.) Upon seeing the you the Obsidian wolf may attack for a few nibbles, but more then likely he'll just run away.
    5.) Once the Obsidian Wolf gets tired of running (staying maximum distance away at all times), he hides in PLAIN sight in little nooks and crannies along the edge of the map where they are safe from harm, in their open little closet sanctuary.
    6.) New 'feature' tested :confused:

Please tell me this is a bug.... I can understand turning back the aggression level a little bit, but this has to be a bug. MAKE IT A BUG!

Dariog likes this.
  9. Dariog

Dariog Avatar

It's not a bug. You're just having a bad dream. The same one we're all having.

Retro likes this.
  10. sake888

sake888 Avatar

It's soo much not a bug that a mod relocated this thread here(feedback) from the bug forum where it originated. :eek::confused:

Retro and Dariog like this.
  11. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

I've noticed same thing wondered what was happening, but now you put it this way yes they are acting exactly like deer... I've gone to attack some wolves and they kept running from me.

12. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

The average bears do not protect "their space" in real life from humans - male bear to male bear, sure - human...oh, heck no!! Get me outta here! Up a tree or bounding away. They are opportunistic and easy going when they don't sense a person around. It is very rare that a bear attacks a human and typically the result of surprise or starvation.

13. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

I've mainly been hunting wolves with a bow this release and when they run it does feel more like a hunting experience. Curious to see what this will morph into.

Miracle Dragon and Bluefire like this.
  14. Dariog

Dariog Avatar

In real life, we don't see many dragons, trolls, and undead either. Clearly, we must now eliminate all those as well.

Ice Queen likes this.
  15. agra

agra Avatar

More frustration?

Because that's all it is now, is a massive PITA and frustration. I'm glad I'm not someone who wants to make leather armor, because wow.. I would rather poke myself in the eye with a sharp stick than hunt wolves, stags or bears, now. Honestly, they make hunting mages and archers FUN, which is insane, given how often they run (and you get to miss more! yay for missing and using client-server latency as a critical combat feature!)

I guess all leatherworkers get to use Disabling Shot and a Bow, now? Huzzah?

Dariog likes this.
  16. Dariog

Dariog Avatar

I couldn't agree more. However there are ways to easily kill the wolves. Wear light armor, use Sprint and Dash together. You can outrun them and Root them.
    Yes, inconvenient and truly a PITA, but it does work.

Ice Queen likes this.
  17. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

Maybe it can be fine tuned a bit? I guess the loot table could be modified for the wolves that have the run away/chase AI?

18. Xander Xavier

Xander Xavier Avatar

Oh by all means leave it as it is;).
    It appeals to the dark and sadistic side of my nature to have major mobs of high experience point value run back and forth in front of me like ducks in a shooting gallery while I shoot them with my bow.
    Having them stand there confused also works for me....

Dariog likes this.
  19. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

I spent quite a bit of time in the Mysterious Swamp this past week or so. About 3,000,000 XP's worth of time. What I outline above seems to be in play, except they didn't invert it. There are five types of animals in the Swamp. The lowest tier, Large Timber Wolves and Red Spiders, ran away less than the middle tier, Elder Wolves and Large Red Spiders. The highest tier animals, the big, bad Obsidian Wolves, were the fraidiest of fraidy cats. They ran away from me 90% of the time.

One thing I noticed is that those that ran away would eventually attack you. Yes, even the Obsidian Wolves. You just have to wait for the morale check to succeed. Since I was also in the Swamp to raise my producer level, I had plenty of opportunity to wait while I harvested various items.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  20. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

Have you been in rl woods?
    they mostly run away

Miracle Dragon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.