#1 rule, Don't copy UO..... period...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SmokerKGB, Sep 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

I'd prefer to avoid that.

But, well...yes, if necessary.

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
  2. Deliverence

Deliverence Avatar

/close imo.

3. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

OK, can I exhail now before I turn blue? j/k

So where can I get some "official" information about this SotA? The Dev pages only error when I try to view them. I've seen the video, is there more somewhere? I haven't decided to support this project yet or even continue with this forum, seems like the "same old, same old ".

4. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

There is ample information on the webpage under the FAQ, Updates, Hangouts, etc. There is the General Forum open to all. Plus, there's always the polite question that can help point you in the right direction to any number of people.

I'm saying this not to feed what might be trolling, but just in case another new person stumbles on this post.

Based on your last statement though it sounds like you've already made up your mind based on a very limited amount of information.

5. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Thanks for the info, and the rest of my opinnion I'll keep to myself, Vyrinor.

As far as SotA, it looks like an interesting concept.

Mordecai likes this.
  6. rild

rild Avatar

Also, forsakenvirtues.com has most of the important 'official' information organized in a more accessible manner

7. stile

stile Avatar

I have information organized over at www.thecaverns.net

Also www.forsakenvirtues.com is another source.

BillRoy and rild like this.
  8. stile

stile Avatar

Sorry, as to videos if you go to you tube, pull me up (stile teckel)

In my playlists are hundreds (i think i have surpassed 300 videos), about SotA. They are categorized. Videos floating around that arent on youtube have links to them in the videos section of www.thecaverns.net

Forsaken virtues if you go through past news feeds does a lot of video recaps. Ive done a few but i tend to be lazy about it knowing dame lori usually does it.

9. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Thank you both for these resources, I am finding them very, very helpfull. Many, Many videos on "youtube" I've watched several of the "avatars hangout, with RG himself" and some of the other Devs answering question.

rild likes this.
  10. Silvas

Silvas Avatar

Meh, they're good for SOME people.
    Honestly, as someone who has played more MMOs than I really care to admit *deep breath*
    (Not in any particular order after UO)
    Ultima Online (my first MMO), Anarchy Online, Earth And Beyond, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars The Old Republic, WoW, Age of Conan, EVE Online, Asheron's Call, LOTRO, EQ, RIFT

I can honestly say that WoW is nearly, if not absolutely, the bottom of the list for me. It was specifically made to draw the adolescent crowd, and is specifically dumbed down and targetted at the instant gratification, gimme gimme gimme mentality. I couldn't stand the players in WoW. The gameplay was bad enough from being dumbed down, the players made it more or less intolerable. I played WoW for longer than any other mmo except probably UO, mostly because I had friends I played with that ingame was the only place we could hang out. In the end, even that wasn't enough to overcome my dislike of WoW; I was only logging in to basically do something totally mindless while chatting with a friend or 2.

There were a lot of problems with UO, and EA was by and far the biggest of those problems. It was still an amazing game. I'm not sure why at 120 smithing and mining you had such a problem gathering ore - I never did. I certainly didn't get 100% of my ore converted to ingots, but I had no problems mining valorite and I had no problems smelting it either. I simply unstacked the ore and did 1 large pile at a time; if you smelt a pile of 100 large ore and fail, you lose a huge chunk. If you smelt 1 large, you don't. Yes, more attempts means more fails, but overall smelting 1 at a time was FAR more successful (and UOAssist which was legal UOPro addon made this easy to do)
    BODS were a ridiculous horrible horrible horrible idea and the dev team should've been drawn and quartered for that crap.
    I LOVED customizable housing. LOVED IT. I did not, however, care for the extreme shift to the game being so heavily gear based.
    100% LRC suits were bloody awesome for training a new mage though; and, depending on your style, for hunting as well. I was persuing a 100% LRC / 70% LMC suit, but I think the closest I made it was 100 / 50. absolute crap resists, but it was still great for mob bashing.
    I heard they added naval combat - ships with cannons and npc pirate ships and such, the ability to attack and sink npc and other player ships (presumably only if flagged or in Felucca). All I can say is it's about bloody time! If they'd added that sooner, I may have stayed. I've thought about trying to remember my account info and going back to check it out, but I really want modern graphics.
    If they remade UO with modern graphics, fixed some of the flaws like BODS and being 90% gear based, but left in things like naval combat and custom housing... Even though I've sworn to never play an MMO run by EA again after seeing how they still are screwing games up (SWTOR), I'd probably cave and play it.

11. Rain Greyraven

Rain Greyraven Avatar

Even though I am a die hard, dyed in the wool, card carrying UO fan...I don't have a dim view of WoW, I played quite a bit of it and my hat is tipped to its accessibility, I lost so many potential UO players trying to show them just how to navigate and do simple things in the world...that is never a good thing. What made UO so superior to WoW was its depth, it's concentration on lore and the community and how there was always something new because the world moved on in a minute by minute basis. So by all means adopt the intuitive simplicity of a game such as WoW, but keep everything else that made UO wonderful.

My two rupees.

Deus_Irae and BillRoy [ab] like this.
  12. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Avatar

For some reason the original post wouldn't play through my speakers. Did I miss anything?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.