Crafting Sigil

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by smack, Oct 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smack

smack Avatar

5 Gathering: Mining, Lumberjack, Agriculture, Field Dressing, Forage
    5 Refining: Smelting, Milling, Textiles, Tanning, Butchery
    5 Crafting: Blacksmithing, Carpentry, Tailoring, Alchemy, Cooking

Runic phrases:
    Refined And Durable
    Craftsmanship Is Earned
    Honed Through Practice
    Attebtion to Detail
    Elegant And Functional

And yes, "Attebtion" is misspelled :)

So in terms of the Gathering -> Refining -> Crafting paths, can you identify them all? Here's a few to start with:

Mining -> Smelting -> Blacksmithing
    Lumberjack -> Milling -> Carpentry
    Field Dressing -> Tanning -> Tailoring

Epona likes this.
  2. Knoxinn

Knoxinn Avatar

What happened to Fishing? Is it under the "Forage" heading?

3. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I think it's more complex. So you can tailor both leather(tanning) and textiles, milling is for wood, alchemy, and food, etc.

4. Feioka

Feioka Avatar

I am not at all versed in the aspects of how the Alchemy process will work in this game but, I certainly would enjoy a finer aspect into the way ingredients are collected as far as the inputs in completing recipes. In all honesty the Alchemic process should be something more then just developing potions. Shouldn't it be that one could forage for ingredients to mill in the process of achieving an alchemic process. Furthermore alchemy is a skill to which should infuse science and magic. An understanding in the process of combining reagents and other ingredients should yield more then potions or a liquid refinement. The alchemic process should play into the means to which a blacksmith is able to create a blend of metals or even create a metal embued with certain properties that allow its performance to be better in certain situations, or against certain elements more specifically. Perhaps I am just day dreaming but, I believe Alchemy should be a skill to which provides more then an alternative to Health, Stamina, and Mana regeneration. The experimentation and discovery of combining unknown compentants should yield new processes and recipes to which can be adapted and sold to other craftsmen to be harnessed in their skilled processes.

Knoxinn and Sir Albert like this.
  5. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

Indeed, "alchemy" is analagous with "science"... not "potion making" (although certainly that is an aspect of it.) That very boring level of severe over-simplicity/under-representation is why I have never bothered with alchemy. Would be neat to see a game actually make alchemy a skill worth having!

And what happened to tinkering...? Is that just lumped into blacksmithing now? split between blacksmith and alchemy? (that would be neat..)

Epona likes this.
  6. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I sort of hope that there's some balence between technology, magic, and virtue. That these represent 3 paths to "better." Different cultures or societies may have a strong preference for one over another.

7. Knoxinn

Knoxinn Avatar

So...with no Bowcrafting and/or Fletching...a Blacksmith or a Carpenter is making bows? If I want a pair of tongs or a chair, great, but a bow and some arrows? Hmmmm... o_O

8. smack

smack Avatar

Yeah, so I'd like to see what people think are all the paths, because we haven't yet been shown everything in terms of all the tables or actual skills yet.

Regarding milling, we've only been shown a milling table for *wood* ingredients. We have not been shown any milling table for grains and the like. If milling is a refinement for agriculture, we'd need a table for that which we don't yet have.

Yep, it appears you will need to rely on those skills to get bows crafted.

9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I suppose we can think of a bower as a very specialized carpenter/wood wooker.

FireLotus likes this.
  10. ArcanumVeritas

ArcanumVeritas Avatar

There is no hunting either ... so for fishing, they assume you HAVE the fish, rod/spear/sword while wandering in rivers/magical explosion (TNT) ... once you caught them needs field dressing to gut them, but likely only to get meat, not "leather-scale" unless specific leathery fish :) ... then Butchery to cut into fillets and Cooking to steam in a white wine sauce with Thyme.

Brewing/wine making ... seems to fit in either cooking or alchemy ... I think the latter is the more appropriate
    Pottery ... (and I can only think of decorations/ornaments/plates/bowls etc) ... could have the path mining to gather the clay ... smelting to fire it? ... but I'm at a loss for crafting
    Glassmaking ... mining the sand ... smelting the glass ... alchemy for the glass blowing?
    Tinkering could have both Blacksmithing and Alchemy ... gadgets vs explosions ...
    Alchemy would have smelting and milling as refining ... depending on the what ...
    Honey ... um ... forage > milling > cooking?

so off the top of my head ...
    Mining -> Smelting -> Blacksmithing for Metal weapons/armor, metal tinkering, metal bits and bobs
    Lumberjack -> Milling -> Carpentry for wooden whatevers, from handles to bows
    Agriculture -> Milling -> Cooking for baked goods
    Agriculture -> Butchery -> Cooking for meats
    Field Dressing -> Tanning -> Tailoring for Leatherwork (sans dye) (bow strings?)
    Agriculture -> Tanning -> Tailoring for Leatherwork (sans dye)
    Field Dressing -> Butchery -> Cooking for meats
    Forage -> Milling -> Alchemy for dyes/potions/chemical
    Agriculture -> Milling -> Alchemy for dyes/potions/chemical (and Brewing/Wine Making?)
    Forage -> Textiles -> Tailoring for cloth
    Agriculture -> Textiles -> Tailoring for cloth
    Mining -> Smelting -> Alchemy for tinker chemicals/glass

depends if Agriculture is growing AND tending animals ... or if field dressing covers wild and domestic animals
    depends if Agriculture is domestic herbs/grains/flax etc and Forage is wild equivalent ... or if only forage
    depends if milling is organic only (grain, timber) ... or any powder (sand, orchre)

Knoxinn and smack like this.
  11. smack

smack Avatar

Excellent paths there, you've covered quite a bit and match pretty much what I had written down. I had a couple others, where ingredients from both blacksmithing and carpentry could feed into each other's crafting recipes. Steel arrow tips on wooden shafts, for example. I originally had it as an output of a refining process but decided it was the output of the crafting path to feed into another crafting path.

I'm hoping that "Forage" on that sigil really means generically hunting for food -- be it plant or animal. This would serve both the Alchemist who forages for herbs and the Fisherman who reels in a big fat salmon. Likewise for the Farmer with "Agriculture" for both crops and animals.

However, the icons (tools) on the sigil for those two are specific so I'm hoping they just had to choose something vs implying it is narrowly focused one way or another.

I'm also hoping that Scottie releases more tables to make these skills fit better in terms of using them for refining and crafting. As it is we only have a machining (wood) milling table, not a grinding (grains etc) milling table.

12. Robby

Robby Avatar

Hmmm so i guess i didnt really get the crafting sigil when i read the update. So is this going to be like a thing thats on the ground in front of you when you start your character and you walk on the parts of the sigil that represent the skill you want to begin with? Is it going to be the skill tree or something when you push the 's' key and allot points each time you level up?

13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

You wouldn't really need a hunting skill as it is. Trapping and tracking would be nice.. but 'hunting' would just be standard PvE. Grab a bow.. find something.. shoot it.

smack likes this.
  14. smack

smack Avatar

It's interesting how they are visually depicting the sigil in-game as being on the floor in proximity of the crafting stations, or where combat can occur. I doubt though that it's something you interact with.

Yes, I would love to see trapping and tracking skills. I really hope they get that in Ep1.

15. NeoProfit

NeoProfit Avatar

Historically, brewing was always part of cooking. In medieval society, where fermenting grain was done, ale brewing was done on all levels of social strata.
    In poorer families, for example, the wives and mothers would brew ale for the family along with cooking the food. Beer is nourishing.
    Brewing had nothing to do with any form of primitive science.

Vintners had even less to do with alchemy or cooking because there is no element of heat involved. The farmer that produced the grapes presses them and barrels them.

16. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

Original beer in middle ages /earlier was more like bread fluid (food) than your foaming golden frefreshener today. If that has not been mentioned :)

Unless it would be done with silly minigame in world/oveland map...or something

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.