Eating..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sam101688, Aug 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

Pizza or i'm cancelling my account!

Manerd likes this.
  2. agra

agra Avatar

Yeah, if it doesn't apply to combat mode, it's pointless. So hopefully they address that and/or don't waste a whole bunch of time on this.

3. redfish

redfish Avatar

At the moment. But if the game doesn't allow auto-regen out of combat at all if you don't eat, it would have meaning. RG originally said the plan was that you need to consume something with water content for auto-regen to work. The idea was that if they didn't do this, people would only eat dried jerky or other food that didn't have any water content and everything else would be useless.

Still, even then, I think people will just choose Heal spells over food, especially now since they don't use reagents. So I still think some type of hunger mechanic is important.

Kaisa likes this.
  4. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Guys.
    This is no survival game.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  5. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

It is if your old and waiting for good pvp lol. Death may come sooner. :p

6. redfish

redfish Avatar

Neither were the Ultima games... and, yet, food was a major game mechanic in Ultima.

Manerd and Kaisa like this.
  7. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

How does out of combat regeneration work now? I don't think it's pointless to regenerate faster out of combat, but I also don't know if food currently accomplishes that.

8. Earl Atogrim von Draken

I am all good with buff Food.
    But no penalty for not eating.

agra likes this.
  9. redfish

redfish Avatar

Okay, but nobody will eat it then... (and btw the point is you did get a penalty for not eating in Ultima)

Kaisa likes this.
  10. Earl Atogrim von Draken

And?
    This isn't Ultima. If I wanted Hunger and thirst and cold and whatnot I play Arc.

11. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

if you where starving in Ultima your hit points kept ticking away I think. You could die, but it would take a while.

12. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Yes this is not Ultima but it was billed as the spiritual successor to U4-U7.

13. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, and if I didn't want something in the Ultima tradition, I'd go play WoW and wouldn't have pledged at Kickstarter. So I guess we're butting heads here.

14. Earl Atogrim von Draken

What a surprise.

15. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Didn't we declare the spiritual successor thing dead over and over again just a few days ago ;-)

16. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I must have missed that lol. I know some people took for granted that it was the successor to UO, and I think it might have been presented that way to many people. But the kickstarter clearly says it. A few of us remember that from back then despite the infiltration of the loud mmo/instant gratification crowd now that we have.

17. Earl Atogrim von Draken

If it really helps to thin out the instant gratification Crowd I am willing to change my opinion. Though this would have to be proofed. And we all know that if a system like that goes online it won't go away again. And at the moment i would be far too lazy to deal with that.
    Beside I really think this game has other areas that need work. This seems more like a Gimmick to me.
    Yes yes spare me from the Immersion rant. I know it's a important topic for some players.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  18. bcxanth

bcxanth Avatar

Not true at all. Food is a huge part of WoW for instance, and food there only does buffs. People have made huge amounts of in game gold keeping the people WoW supplied with the right food. Making food a requirement, and adding hunger and thirst mechanics, would be a huge mistake. I've invested a ton of money in this game and I'd still walk away if they do that. I worry enough about keeping myself fed. As a casual player I don't want to have to worry about my character starving to death if I can't play for a few days.

19. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Well in this game I do not think it should kill you but it should make you weak. eating food should make you normal. Eating special food should give you a buff. And if you are a cannibal like me then it makes you a god! :p

20. redfish

redfish Avatar

You wouldn't need to worry about starving to death, though... any debuffs that happened would only matter if you were online; it wouldn't matter if you were offline. And nobody suggested anything about dying... that's one way to implement it, but not one that I'd argue for... and it would be pretty easy to get food and eat. When you'd stop by a town to sell junk or visit your bank or buy a new weapon or repair things if you ran out of food, you'd just buy some. Drag it to your hotbar, and use it when you want. The idea isn't to turn this into a survival game, or to punish people for being offline; its really something that would work really simply and be painless IMO.

To be honest, I haven't played WoW but I have played other MMOs, and that's my experience; that it's something most people dump because they're not min/maxing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.