@Chris-Making XP PVP Bonus- Wolf and Sheep effect-Raise the bonus!

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Odyssey2001, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

I want to suggest you raise the bonus depending on the the Level of the user, so a lower level users gets a higher bonus if he/she enables pvp.. This will encourage the Sheep and wolf effect that I have been observing. which is also making things interesting as some members are calling on help from guildies/friends to go after PKers and other users that are killing lower level users.

Example
    So for 150 adv level above +5 bonus
    100 -150 = +10
    75 = +15
    65 =+20
    55=+25
    45=+35
    lower = +45

Perhaps their should be clauses to avoid exploits ( as much as possible anyway :) )
    perhaps one could be if partied then the bonus drops a certain percentage or default to the 10% that we already got..

I really believe it would be an interesting experiment..

2. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

The bonus needs to go.
    We need a meaningful PvP system instead.

3. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

An interesting idea... I've always thought decay % should scale with level, too.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  4. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Interesting idea.

5. mercster

mercster Avatar

Good idea!
    Haha!

6. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Often new players are not in a guild, and don't know anyone yet. There is no skill required for a high level player to kill a low level person. If you get off killing low level people with your high level toon, I do not think you are considering the life of this game. You will discourage them from playing.

Xandra7, Belgtor, Numa and 5 others like this.
  7. mercster

mercster Avatar

I agree with you...it's hard to legislate this stuff, but there should definitely be very little tangible reward for slaughtering noobs.

8. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Gamician, Xandra7, Womby and 3 others like this.
  9. mercster

mercster Avatar

*sigh* Don't flag PVP. It's that simple. :)

EDIT: From Lum's article:

"There’s not really such a thing as nonconsensual PvP in Shadowbane, because you signed up for the game knowing that you were going to fight."

There you go. When you sign up for the game, you know that some people will PvP and you don't have to be a part of it. Those people will be rewarded with an XP bonus in exchange for their "risk". Doesn't affect you, move along.

10. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

We all should just roleplay our way and do not discussions about whats right or wrong, good or Bad, usefull or not.
    Play the Game as you feel it's intended for you.

11. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I agree. The bonus doesn't make me PVP or go into multiplayer more.

12. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I agree, it's not something that should be encouraged, and here's why.

Players that are "sheep" are still going to be sheep after they've been spawn camped and they've had a bad day in the game. The question isn't, will they enjoy pvp more if they give it a try, the question is will they quit the game after they give it a try? UO tells us they'll quit the game.

Now what you should understand is that I'm not advocating that PVP shouldn't get more rewards for the risk involved, I'm only advocating that it should be the right rewards. The XP bonus doesn't provide that, and people that really understand PVP will see the truth in what I'm about to say. PVP is largely about who has initiative.

What's the easiest way to kill someone in PVP? Kill them when they're not ready to fight you. I.E. you're stealthed, they're AFK, there's an exploit that allows you to be invisible and untargetted. :)

That's who's running around killing people right now. It's not the guy trying to get an XP bonus, that person is trying to farm mobs and completely exposed to the people that are very happy to be attacking someone that is in no position to defend themselves. In other words, this system of PVP is preciously what we don't want, it's the opposite of meaningful. The risk and the rewards are more or less a numbers game. If you go out and farm mobs using the XP bonus, you're eventually going to die. If you go out and hunt people trying to use the XP bonus you're eventually going to kill people. That's it, that's all it boils down to, and there's no meaning in any of it. Which is why I don't flag for pvp and I don't farm mobs in multiplayer.

What the devs need to do is really start to think about PVP as something that needs balanced using smart mechanics (like NPC guards) that help create "fair" fights where the sheep are not just slaughtered but actually have a chance of running away. Where the wolves have to risk a lot more to get kills and the game is more challenging for them. But most importantly, where the battles have a purpose and the results are fun for winners and losers. (more like an organic sporting event (think pickup basketball game) and less like the trolling comment section on a CNN news article)

golruul, margaritte, Leelu and 5 others like this.
  13. dp_dropout

dp_dropout Avatar

A well designed game should not have to implement boni to make certain play styles viable.

Mac2, Xandra7, Stundorn and 1 other person like this.
  14. Earl Atogrim von Draken

I don't know and i honestly don't care.
    We are trying to work on a system that shouldn't exist in the first place.

Mac2 likes this.
  15. cyathome

cyathome Avatar

I think ganking newbies should be prohibited not encouraged let alone rewarded. If you like to pvp you should do it against opponents that present you with a challenge. Griefing new players will not help this game grow in any way, shape or form.

Womby, Mac2, Xandra7 and 2 others like this.
  16. Gamician

Gamician Avatar

The Exp Bonus should be eliminated all together. If person turns on the PvP tag for the sheer purpose of getting more Exp and would not choose PvP unless that Bonus was there, then it is there for entirely the wrong reason.

Womby, Duke Gréagóir, Mac2 and 4 others like this.
  17. mercster

mercster Avatar

Don't push your value system on me, maaaaan.

18. Silis

Silis Avatar

You'd be better off saying what you define as meaningful PvP rather than throwing this argument out. 'Meaningful PvP' is subjective to the person and just because you find the bonus to encourage open world PvP encounters not to your liking.. or maybe the random open world PvP itself, that doesn't make it less meaningful to someone else. It also doesn't mean what you want and this are mutually exclusive, but we couldn't really tell since you don't define what you want. At the end it just sounds like 'We need the pvp system I want and only the pvp system I want'.

mercster likes this.
  19. mercster

mercster Avatar

Ding ding! We have a winner.

20. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Described it more than once.
    I am tired of repeating myself so I will just post the statement above.
    Take it or leave it.

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.