New help please

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Nemien, Apr 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nemien

Nemien Avatar

Hello,
    I just got the game and it runs a little slow on my system but is playable. The question I have is about targeting and combat, I chose bows and have trouble targeting things, I try to click to target and sometimes it works sometimes doesn't. Also I have tried pressing G to target and tab, sometimes these work sometimes seems not to. Any help on targeting mobs and other things?

2. Womby

Womby Avatar

Welcome Nemien! There is ongoing work on optimising the game, but that isn't finished yet. Hopefully performance will improve over time. In the meantime you might try experimenting with video settings (Options | Video). You might see some improvement if you set Quality Level to Fastest, Shadow Distance to none, enable Cull Interior Decoration, disable Depth of Field and disable Use Camera Effects.

As for targeting, you are not alone. I have heard complaints from others. It appears to be a work in progress.

Stundorn, Aldo, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  3. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Click to target can be difficult, especially if you are having framerate issues. The cursor in Unity suffers from whatever framerate the screen is rendering at, unlike the standard hardware cursor.

First, check your keybindings under Options (the gear in the top-right corner of the screen, or through the Escape key menu). By default for new users, Target Next should be set to "Tab", but the tutorials might not be updated (in previous releases, it was "G"). Verify what your set to, and then use that key to try targeting.

Note that this is a "soft" target; that is, you will prefer this target over others, but you can still hit other things if they move in front of you while shooting, or your primary target is not attackable (too far away, behind full cover, etc).

Stundorn, Aldo and Time Lord like this.
  4. Nemien

Nemien Avatar

Thanks,both posts were helpful. Lowering my video settings improved my ability to target, although I have yet to go fight anything, I have been exploring Soltown. But I can target npcs and interact just by clicking instead of using E.

A couple other questions

I have read in guides to be careful about what skills I let increase, is there a skill cap? If so how many skill points can I earn? Is there a guide for this?

Also whats the difference between Multiplayer online and Singleplayer online?

Thanks

Berek and Time Lord like this.
  5. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

To my knowledge there is no skill cap in the sense you refer to. However, you need a pool of adventure experience (when you open the skill menu with K, you see your pool) to raise a skill. The higher a skill, the more experience you need to raise it. For example:

To raise the skill Ranged Combat from level 10 to 40 costs 3,774 experience
    To raise the skill Ranged Combat from level 40 to 80 costs 176,600 experience
    To raise the skill Ranged Combat from level 80 to 100 costs 1,048,588 experience
    To raise the skill Ranged Combat from level 100 to 120 costs 7,054,379 experience

This is a "cheap" active skill. Innate skills are much more expensive.

Someone did post a thread about experience tables, but I haven't used the table myself: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/experience-tables-condensed.69302/

The recommended strategy is usually to train the most needed skills to level 40 and then to concentrate on raising individual skills one or two at a time. Otherwise, if you are training too many skills at once, your experience pool will be depleted and no skills will advance quickly. If your experience pool is very large, skills will train more quickly because they can consume a larger percentage of the pool.

Another thing to consider is that returns on higher skill levels are diminishing. So a level 120 skill isn't that much more powerful as the same skill at level 100, but the cost in experience to raise the skill to level 120 from level 100 is exorbitant.

Lastly, skill decay upon death costs more in experience if you have a lot of skills raised to a high level than if you have only a few lower level skills. That is something, however, that doesn't bother me personally, because the more powerful the avatar is, the easier it is regain the lost experience.

Multiplayer Online vs. Single Player Online
    In Multiplayer Online you will see, and be able to interact with, other players. In Single Player Online you will never see other players. If you enter a scene you will always be the only person in that scene. However, you can still use the chat window to chat with other players, and you can see which of your friends or guildmates are online. If you want to teleport to another player on your friends list, you will need to switch to Multiplayer Online mode (or Friends Only mode, if the other player is using that mode).

Stundorn, Aldo, Vas Corp Por and 6 others like this.
  6. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

To add to @Kara Brae's excellent post:

Obviously, when you kill stuff, you get XP for it. This goes into your "XP Pool" - think of it as "cash in hand". Every time you use a skill (swing a sword, cast a spell etc) some of that is transferred to the relevant skill IF YOU HAVE IT SET TO TRAIN. (little green triangle, pointing up). So your "cash in hand" goes down, and "Cash in the bank" goes up, and your skill level in that ability gets better.

In the early stages - you are fighting low level mobs, not getting a lot of XP. Should balance out - the gaps between levels at the start are pretty low. The important thing to remember is that AT SOME STAGE you may run into trouble. If you are trying to train lots of skills simultaneously, you are "withdrawing" more XP than you are putting in - your pool can go down to very low levels. It is then time to turn some skills off (brown triangle or straight line). Means they will not pull from the pool, and you can accumulate again. So keep an eye on your pool, and try to balance what's going out with what's coming in.

Skill decay is a thing - it is instead of a hard cap. Sure you can train as high as you want to go - but the FIRST time you die in any 12-hour period (think it's going to be 24 hours next release) the game will hit you for a penalty. I call it a "death tax". It consists of .04% of all the XP you have invested in the "bank". - ie skills trained. Doesn't sound a lot, and at low levels it isn't. But when you get to really high levels it's a big hit, and it's an effective barrier to becoming super uber powerful.

If you have enough XP in your pool when you die, no worries - the hit comes out of there, and you just notice that the pool has been reduced. If not, it will be subtracted from your actual skills, and you can actually lose a level. So keep enough on hand to pay the "tax".

(BTW, once you have died once in 12 hours, it doesn't matter after that - die as many times as you like and there's no further damage...)

7. Luca Xante

Luca Xante Avatar

Time Lord likes this.
  8. rpgmaniac82

rpgmaniac82 Avatar

Welcome Nemien!:D

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Nemien

Nemien Avatar

Thanks for the replies, those helped a lot. Am having a great time so far now that I have fixed my technical issue and now I feel I can progress my character.

Della kit, Vas Corp Por and Time Lord like this.
  10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome Nemian. :)

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Vas Corp Por

Vas Corp Por Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Great! Welcome Nemien!

Berek likes this.
  12. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Welcome, Nemien!

13. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

Welcome to the game!
    The next time you target a chicken in Soltown, attack it. You will get feathers for arrows and meat for food. Plus a good way to learn attack without much risk.

Cordelayne likes this.
  14. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

Welcome to Shroud of the Avatar, @Nemien Feel free to contact me if you want someone to adventure with or just talk about random incoherent things, well mostly coherent. I think. :D

15. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Welcome to New Britannia.

You have some good informations now.
    Also try to make you familiar with the dynamic deck system, it's vital i would say.
    And i think it wasnt mentioned until
    MP Mode gives you +10% xp Bonus.
    Flagging pvp or visiting a PvP Zone will add +10% more, cumulative to 20% as flagging Pvp and pvp Zones are only available in MP.
    Although there is not that much open world PvP action i do not recommend it at beginner levels as PvP Scenes are 5skull too :p

Have Fun - Stun

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.