Why It's Good To Be A Victim

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Zifnab Strongarm, Dec 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

Well I agree with what you said here.

2. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

3. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I didnt assume anything!?, i just said do what you want! i think you have a right to pick either! With the slider bar pve and pvp will be different worlds, if im pvp and your pve you will not see me and vice versus! so in essence they are different worlds! And let me do what i want as well!

4. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Keep in mind RG was ganked once! in UO! So he understands! His response was dang we forgot to put on immunity! and he still came in and out of games afterwards!

5. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Yeah i always found basic quests in UO by Gms and stuff boring as hell! so i always left! I think i completed one and thought to myself "i couldve been out doing something fun!" and making money in the process!"

6. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

This. I never played more than 2 characters at once and rarely even more than one, but when I did, my second char was some kind of a peaceful dude.
    I was a beggar, a tinker, a smith, a cook, a fisherman, a thief....
    So I see the problem not only from a PvPers point of view.

Without free PvP interactions a virtual world simply dies, unable to provide enough movement to generate energy within itself.
    Then it needs to be attached to life-support machines in order to survive: kool 9000 lvl swords, new mounts, new areas to explore, new expanshuns (hi, WoW).

How many expanshuns do you guys need to understand that you just wasted a few hundred hours on a monster farming game that provided nothing but an endless loop of simple 5-skill rotations a billion times in a row to kill monsters that can't even provide any challenge?

Do some people really want a game like Sims or Dress-Your-Barby-Doll-Online..but with swords, capes and magic?
    And if that's the case, can we assume we somehow got a huge population of grown up girls with beards on here?
    You know, I too love to decorate my house and show my buds the new rare colour kilt I tailored..but RG's mmos were never only about that. Those were virtual words in which you could live.
    And living comes in a package with dying.

jondavis likes this.
  7. Leom_Tanith

Leom_Tanith Avatar

Kind of want to make a my character a destitute hobo now.

8. Owain

Owain Avatar

*Sigh*

I don't there there will be any such thing as PvP zones. With Selective Multiplayer, why should there be?

Silent Strider likes this.
  9. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

Anyone ever told you, that you were an odd duck? It is not a healthy natural thing to seek out danger....nor to as the OP said....Cultivate hatred.
    All in all I do believe you are a minority in this view point....if you are being serious at all.

10. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

Odd... I can point to a dozen or so PVP MMO's that fit the description you just gave :)

If one wants to boil it all down to the basics, all mmo type games and RPGs are pretty much the same mechanic in different clothes so to speak. Different graphics, different sound/music, different words, but in the end exactly the same as ohh say Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord.... ie. Protagonist has goals, Protagonist must collect stuff, protagonist must improve stats, protagonist must defeat some boss or meet some arbitrary goal. It is how you get there that matters, but it is all the same at the core.

11. Owain

Owain Avatar

Even if it is a minority point of view, that doesn't make it an invalid point of view. With Selective Multiplayer, even minority player styles can be supported.

See Single Player Offline.

Ristra likes this.
  12. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

I'm with him so we got 2 just in this thread.

13. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

I don't believe I said it was an invalid point...just perhaps unhealthy.

14. Owain

Owain Avatar

Why unhealthy - I think that betrays a bias unsupported by facts.

TemplarAssassin likes this.
  15. Kami

Kami Avatar

Where did you see anything in my post about "cultivating hatred"?

To know happiness, one must experience sadness.

In the same way, how can I really value anything that I "earned" in the game, if I didn't really have to work for it?

I remember the first time I was able to afford a house in UO as one of my most awesome gaming memories - precisely because I had to work so hard in mining/lumberjacking where there was the possibility that I would be killed.

At the same time, if you're happy with just going out there in the wild, gathering resources for a few hours with 0 danger, then going back, good for you - this might seem boring as hell to me, but I'm not denying you your type of fun.

All I ask is that you and your resources will not interact with me and mine, since I had to put myself out there, and you just had to be there.

16. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

But you got no proof.

17. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

jondavis likes this.
  18. Owain

Owain Avatar

4, with respect to seeking out danger, on a purely voluntary basis.

I think victim was an unfortunate word choice. Even for someone who plans to be a non-combatant in Open PvP, it is more a matter of pitting your skill at survival against all odds that is admirable. To be a lumberjack, for example, in Open PvP, and to not only survive, but prosper and succeed, that takes no small measure of skill and cunning.

TemplarAssassin and Ara like this.
  19. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Still you got to admit sometimes after getting killed and losing your stuff some friends would give you better weapons and armor then you had before.
    And you might even meet a few more people in the process with players helping you.

TemplarAssassin likes this.
  20. Owain

Owain Avatar

That may have been an unintended side effect of being killed, but I certainly have never gone into a game with the intent of being killed in order to make friends and meet new people

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.