1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

A Royal Impression of Release 7

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Lord British, Jul 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord British

Lord British Lord British SOTA Developer

What a great community we have! The growth of guilds and townships has already begun, and I look forward to seeing how they continue to shape the world of New Britannia. The City of Pax Lair completed even more creative and astounding construction in Valemark, but we also had the chance to see other great cities emerge (including the Celtic Holdfast which was a personal favorite of mine). I was also able to participate in a delightful community run quest, as well as orate onstage about the history of the Fauns and Satyrs of New Britannia. While participating in those activities I had the chance to brainstorm with the community about player run quests and how we can best support them.

I am looking forward to the next couple of releases, which will include even more of the mainland map. (The Graf Gem Mine was just the start!) But what I am most excited about is the upcoming combat improvements, including our first tests involving PVP! We listened to YOU, the community, and decided to focus on PVP as early as possible, as this allows us to balance and tune combat in PVE and PVP at the same time versus sequentially. Since we firmly believe PVP is an integral part of Shroud of the Avatar, we wanted to dedicate as much time as we can to get it right.

The AI concerns that have been brought up will still be addressed in later releases, so PVE folks should take heart. Though we are slightly shifting focus to include PVP combat, we are not ignoring PVE; just solving the AI issues after we have basic combat a bit more balanced and polished.

In total, I was incredibly impressed with what the community accomplished during Release 7, as well as what the team was able to deliver to you. Both vastly exceeded what I expected could be done so early in the development process.

And for eager to jump back in, Release 7 will be re-opened for RTX July 4 - 6. Huzzah!

- Lord British

2. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

The 3d overworld map is looking great. I can't wait to give PvP a try in R8.

Thank you for continuing to listen to the concerns of the community. That's what makes this game so special. Our voices are heard.

rowan50k, abovenyquist, NANOC and 6 others like this.
  3. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

4. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

It is great to hear your enthusiasm, LB. Just keep up the good attitude and work :)

5. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Huzzah! Thanks my liege!

6. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Really looking forward to seeing Ardoris and some combat focus :)

I enjoyed the stage performance and look forward to when that room full of benches can have more than three people sitting down!

7. Gaelis

Gaelis Avatar

Thanks for the chance to see how to design a game,its the first time for me beeing involved like that, able to track as many steps as possible.
    I like your way to participate players and it also feels good to meet you and other devs ingame, spending time with players and listen to their opinion directly.
    Now I´m looking forward to this weekend and of course to R8. :)

8. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Will the secret weakness of Lord British be already implended in R8 or will this be not revealed when it will become active, or will it become active after launch?

Hides his secret oracle dagger , looking innocent. :)

9. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Thank you for the kind words Richard! I was surprised seeing you and had the pleasure of conversing with you in the Celtic Holdfast.

As each release gets more grand the shaping of the world is really starting to come together. I am amazed with what your team has accomplished in such a short time. Well done! R8 will start to improve on existing systems and introduce new ones.

Keira, The One, abovenyquist and 4 others like this.
  10. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

Thanks for Visiting my theater and telling us an awesome story Lord British!

abovenyquist, smack and Time Lord like this.
  11. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Sweet sound to my earr !

12. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

I saw a lot of people with pants in this release. That was impressive!

13. Floors

Floors Avatar

I had a true blast during R7. Whether it was players helping me get the best armor, hunting Satyrs in the Deep Forest, Killing Liches in Ravensmoor, or just showing off back at owl's head and seeing who had the best gear, the community is already there.

Can't wait for the mainland and the game to continue to improve.

abovenyquist, Kaisa, Gaelis and 3 others like this.
  14. smack

smack Avatar

How much of the mainland will be kept off-limits during these pre-alpha releases? That is, to avoid spoilers and to give backers something "new" to look forward to and explore and experience once the game officially launches with a complete story (Episode 1).

abovenyquist and Time Lord like this.
  15. Mata

Mata Avatar

Thank you for the kind words!

Arianna, abovenyquist and Time Lord like this.
  16. Numa

Numa Avatar

I missed a lot in the first R7 window, not having all that time to play that wekend - looking forward very much to round 2. The progress made has impressed me , it's a privilege to watch SOTA develop from ground up.

17. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

Yeah I am glad I will be able to play more over this weekend ,because there was some things in R7 I didn't get to really experience either.

18. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

*Lord Marshal Avorin Swiftslay humbly expresses his gratitude for this heartwarming post!*

19. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

[quote="RichardGarriott, But what I am most excited about is the upcoming combat improvements, including our first tests involving PVP! We listened to YOU, the community, and decided to focus on PVP as early as possible, as this allows us to balance and tune combat in PVE and PVP at the same time versus sequentially. Since we firmly believe PVP is an integral part of Shroud of the Avatar, we wanted to dedicate as much time as we can to get it right.

The AI concerns that have been brought up will still be addressed in later releases, so PVE folks should take heart. Though we are slightly shifting focus to include PVP combat, we are not ignoring PVE; just solving the AI issues after we have basic combat a bit more balanced and polished.

- Lord British[/quote]

Now Thats what Im talking about !!! @RichardGarriott this is exactly what what I was hoping to hear ... It was Very important to me to have PVP worked on as early as possible not because I feel that its the Most important thing ,but its the thing most likely to break as new things are implemented,created ,balanced. thanks for the feedback , and its twice as cool coming from you ..... *Bows*
    Lor

20. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

This is a great idea to test and optimize combat in general using PvP as a benchmark. If you're PvE only don't be worried, because all forms of combat will benefit from R8's tests.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.