Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Overland Map Poll [UNOFFICIAL]

Discussion in 'Release 4 Feedback' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Mar 27, 2014.

?

Which style of overland map do you prefer ?

Poll closed Apr 3, 2014.
  1. The original Roosterteeth Style

43.1%
  2. R4's paper/cloth Game of Thrones opening Style

28.7%
  3. Both

10.8%
  4. Neither

17.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I nearly fell of my chair when I left Owl's Head and saw the overland map... It is a... map?? And your are nothing more than a flag?
    I was hoping the overland travel system would be like it was shown in the early videos just with better graphics.

Where is the sense of exploration in this? Where is the world that feels alive with trees swinging in the wind, animals roaming around, clouds drifting by, shimmering waves of water, the feeling of really traveling around in a world etc.? This is a MAP!

I really don't like this map style.... This is really a big, big bummer... very disappointed.

2. Darstina

Darstina Avatar

I second that. It is a little disappointing.

* Envy / Midian * likes this.
  3. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

They did say this is an early version. I doubt it will look like that when it's done.

Roland and Ragnabrock like this.
  4. Lord Blackheart

Lord Blackheart Avatar

Finally had a chance to play through the pre-alpha today (gotta keep reminding myself, this isn't even an alpha yet =)

First off, the mechanics of the overland map are very nice, the animation/blur effects and movement on it. I think the reason I'm mostly taken aback is because I was expecting the 3D overview map, not a map map. Is the 3D type "living" environment not an option? If it can be done, my preference would be for that. If this map type overview is the direction we have to go then allow us to toggle the hexes on/off so it feels more like a true map. The 3D effects of the current map are starting to grow on me, but it would be nicer without the visible hex lines.

Just some quick thoughts

5. Davelington

Davelington Avatar

I agree, I really hope this will be changed.

6. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

As in all things this map is a work in progress. Our attempts to make the real map look good were not going anywhere quickly and it didn't feel unique or Ultima like. So we took inspiration from the Game of Thrones intro and decided to go for an Ultima / paper / cloth take on that idea. Over time we want to add animations like waves (ala stage play backdrops), turning windmills, flowing water, volcanos and under siege cities with fluttery papery fire, etc. We also want to experiment with having the trees, towns, mountains, etc. fold open ala a pop up book as part of a transition animation of some kind of opening the magical map.

Long term we plan other features like pan, zoom, fog of war, etc. to make the whole thing more of a valuable tool. We also want to experiment with different ways for you to enter a hex (current double click feels odd).

Also the banner will have your coat of arms on it. We also want to maybe show your party members on the map in real time somehow and maybe pins marking guild mates, kindred, friends, etc. (as a toggle).

Hex lines we either want to toggle or make them match the illustration style vs the current 3D projection.

I realize this is a big change from the original direction but we all feel that there is a lot of promise in this new idea. Thank you for the feedback to date.

-Darkstarr

7. smack

smack Avatar

Yep, at least with my initial impression I did not like it at all. I actually don't mind a paper map, but not in the way it was done with its vertical cardboard cutout appearance of the POIs. I would prefer a fully 3D realized overview map that is dynamic, alive, and encourages exploration. I wouldn't mind a paper version if you zoomed that camera out even further and they can make that static or stylistically dynamic too. Like what the Skyrim modders did...made a "paper" texture of the 3D version.

The screenshots in the mod do not do it justice...it is not a static paper map but a 3d paper model.
    http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/25501/?

This video shows it better

I know this was only a prototype but I don't like the direction it's headed with the cutouts.

8. smack

smack Avatar

If you lose the cardboard cutouts and really are going for the Game of Thrones approach, then yes, I can see that. But yeah, we've got a ways to go. :)

9. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

I'd like to see something more 'Indiana Jones' for the overland map if we are going for simplicity. This is sort of... Not so hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Blacklisted

Blacklisted Avatar

Yeah I don't like it so much either... at least not the way it is currently. I enjoyed roaming the wilderness in UO and coming across dungeons and stuff. Here, I just exited the city, clicked on a door on the overhead map, and I was in the necromancer dungeon thing... didn't seem very rewarding at all. Can we go between hexes without having to go back to the overhead screen each time? That would maybe add more exploration options for those that choose that route...

Kaisa likes this.
  11. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

If I can make one suggestion on this, it would be to lose any pieces of the map that stand up in 3d but have zero depth. paper cutouts is fine, but they should be actual papercraft style 3d objects with more than one face.

smack likes this.
  12. Floors

Floors Avatar

13. Jin

Jin Avatar

Is anyone thinking ff8? Just going to leave that here :)

Miganarchine likes this.
  14. Floors

Floors Avatar

I'm a fan of the new style and I like where they're going with it.

But many people don't agree and prefer the vision of the original overland map.

I'd like to gauge the community on this topic to see where we stand.

15. Floors

Floors Avatar

caravaggiosWolf (Dev) likes this.
  16. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Most of that sounds pretty cool actually, but I am VERY against the flag, coat of arms or not. I would prefer the little stick figure avatar from Ultima IV to a flag. I don't meant that as sarcasm. A little stylized avatar guy would be much cooler.

17. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I think the new idea sounds cool, except for the flags. I sincerely dislike the flag idea. I said in the other thread, that I'd prefer a little stylized avatar figure (reminiscent of the U4-U5 era avatar) to the flag.

Ragnabrock likes this.
  18. Floors

Floors Avatar

The little avatar figure in the past had a shield. They could just do that and have the shield be the heraldry that Adiun does it would be awesome.

Ragnabrock and docdoom77 like this.
  19. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Dang combined threads. Make me look like an idiot.. a redundant idiot.... redundant..... nevermind. :p

Ragnabrock likes this.
  20. smack

smack Avatar

I voted Neither because while I'm somewhat ok with the target reference being the Games of Thrones intro, I can't vote for that option because it also refers to R4's implementation which is nothing like it at all. R4's version is a 2d cut out pop up map book.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.