1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Release 4 Update & Instructions

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Mar 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Greetings Avatars,

Thank you to our loyal backers of Shroud of the Avatar. Release 4 access for all backers at First Responder level and above begins this Thursday, March 27 at 10:30 AM Central Time. Release 4 access will end on Sunday, March 30 at 10:00 PM Central Time. Starting today, you can begin installing and patching (see instructions below), but login will not be enabled until Thursday morning.

We are happy to say that we are going to deliver almost every single Release 4 item and a few extras. Here are those deliverables again, along with some extra notes and the bonus deliverables in italics

RELEASE 4: March 27 - 30, 2014
    • Performance Optimizations: Introducing multiplayer in Release 3 exposed some performance issues that needed resolution sooner than later. To that end, we made this a top priority for Release 4 so more players can enjoy the game.
    • Overworld Map System: Our dual scale navigation system will launch and players will be able to use it to navigate between towns and adventuring areas.
    • 10 Scenes: The Hidden Vale, a hidden island northeast of the mainland, will be complete with 10 scenes, including towns, wilderness, caves, and dungeons. NOTE: We actually have 14 scenes (although two are merely placeholders).
    • Combat: Those first scenes will have nasty beasts in them, so we’ve decided we should give you a way to fight back! This first release of combat will be extremely simple and focus just on auto swing using your equipped weapon. Death will also be kept simple for now: you will auto resurrect at your death location after a short time interval.
    • Quests: Players will be able to participate in quests that will send them around the world and even change game state in the scenes based on quest flags. Testing this early is important because our quest system operates differently than the current standards (e.g. no exclamation points or convo trees). We will also provide the first version of the journal. NOTE: For R4 we were unable to get the Journal UI implemented but you can still get the data by typing /journal in the chat window.
    • Loot: Killing those nasty creatures you encounter and quests you complete will generate loot, including gold and resources.
    • Crafting: Resource Gathering will be added to crafting including resource nodes placed in the world. More recipes will also become available. NOTE: For R4, gathering includes tree chopping (wood), field dressing (animal hides), harvesting (cotton) and mining (ore).
      • More Recipes: 16 more recipes bring our grand total to 169.
    • Player Housing: The housing system will be re-launched with persistence in the online space. Since we are still on the small island of Hidden Vale there are not yet enough lots to go around. To continue to allow everyone to try out player housing, the ownership of the lots will cycle every hour or two. NOTE: While waterfront housing and basements are not working yet, we wanted you to still be able to view them. Waterfront houses (Frigate, Galleon, Houseboat, Lighthouse, Duke Island Castle, etc.) can be found in Kingsport and basements can be found in various buildings around Owlshead, Kingsport, and Braemar. These are static buildings / scenes and not player owned.
    • Parties: We will continue to expand our social systems by adding a Party system so players can group together and adventure.
    • Mac/Linux Patching: No longer will you have to download a full executable whenever we release a new patch. Mac and Linux versions will patch just like the Windows version.
    • Swimming: Jumping was just the first step to giving players a much greater feeling of movement freedom. Like jumping, swimming will eventually be governed by game systems like encumbrance and focus.
    So now that it is clear what you can expect, we should also be as clear about what you should not expect:
    • Combat: As noted above combat does not yet include skills, magic, decks, or advancement.
    • Performance: We have only done rudimentary optimizations and we do not yet have a full suite of performance fallbacks (LODs, etc.). This means the game will be quite slow on older machines, and due to memory usage, might be unstable in certain conditions (like densely decorated areas). With each release we will be doing further optimizations and adding to our fallbacks to improve performance.
    • Navigation: We have not yet put in a compass or a mini-map, so navigation can be quite challenging at times.
    • Crafting: The crafting system is in the game as a framework, but is still missing some key components like repair, events, and enhancement. Skill checks are also not in yet, so results are always 100% successful. Long term, the percentage chance to make items will depend on a myriad of variables and can result in a variety of results including: making the item desired, making a simpler version of the item that will need to be enhanced, or making a damaged version of the item that needs repair.
    • Game Loop: Release 4 is the first time we will have a rudimentary game loop, but it is still very bare bones. Expect this to expand with each subsequent release but it won’t be truly complete until we hit Beta later this year
    • Advanced Player Housing: There are some advanced features for player housing, including waterfront properties, basements, home exterior decorations, and ceiling decorations that are not yet integrated. Expect to see these appear in future releases.
    Here are links to instructions and known issues. Thank you again for your continued support. This is truly the most amazing community we have ever worked with and we are proud to be on this journey with you.

Sincerely,
    Starr Long
    aka Darkstarr
    Executive Producer

PS Here's a little preview montage of me getting ambushed by some Elves.
    [​IMG]

smack, RelExpo, Abydos and 41 others like this.
  2. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

Look forward to the ride tomorrow. Thanks for the update, Starr....

BTW: the elves look like they are roasting marshmallows in those shots :)

3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Starr, could you give us an idea of machine specs you would expect to return good results and bad results?

I don't know what an "old machine" is in relative game design terms.

For example: Does this look correct?

OLD

CPU: P4
    RAM: 4 GB
    VIDEO CARD: Factory

NEW

CPU: i7
    RAM: 16 GB
    VIDEO CARD: nvid titan

4. Royou

Royou Avatar

Thank you for the update DarkStarr can't wait to log in tomorrow :)

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Floors

Floors Avatar

It's huge you guys have native mac and linux versions that auto patch at this stage. Well done on that. Very well done.

6. Drocis the Devious

Also, I think the pictures of Starr, above, should've been labeled "Next time I'll wear a helmet".

DarkStarr likes this.
  7. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Mmm... Skull shaped marshmallows, my favorite. :D

Hazard and rild like this.
  8. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

I should hope no one expects to run this game on a Pentium 4. I would say an older pc would be like a Intel Core 2 Duo.

Mishri and O`Sullivan like this.
  9. Godra

Godra Avatar

are the elves roasting DarkStarr's marshmallows on the end of a pike??? lol I couldn't resist!!! :D

10. Drocis the Devious

Honestly, I don't know.

If I play the game and have trouble, is it my PC or is it something else? I'm just trying to get a baseline so people (me included) don't see slow and think "oh that will get better over time!" Then 6 months from now when it's the same, they're like "Darkstarr lied to me!" when in reality they've been using a 1400 baud modem or something equally silly.

11. Akeashar

Akeashar Avatar

I'm hoping that crafting doesn't just have 'It worked' and downwards, but occasionally getting HQ 'better' results than the best results being the base standard variant. That was always one of the fun parts of crafting in FFXI, aiming to get the HQ version of the gear.

Looking forward to getting to hop on and whack with my bonk stick!

12. rowan50k

rowan50k Avatar

Thanks Starr, excited to get my first hands on look at the game tomorrow.

rild likes this.
  13. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

O`Sullivan likes this.
  14. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

I am using this config@ Amd duo 2.1g, with 8 g ram..laptop. with factory nivida video. is this ok?

15. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

no update downloading?

16. Mitch [MGT]

Mitch [MGT] Avatar

SQUEEEEEEEEEE! Can't wait!

rild likes this.
  17. Drocis the Devious

@Devs

Probably worth noting that I'm patched to v81, but instead of the normal message of "devs only right now" or whatever it says, my computers both just hang at "connecting" forever.

18. veradin

veradin Avatar

Same as above.

19. iwanbo

iwanbo Avatar

Patched and hanging at "connecting"

With the house refresh going on, will all the houses that are currently placed just disappear every hour or two, and then it is a mad scramble to place one?

20. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

That is my impression of how it will operate. Though perhaps the refresh will be staggered ? One places the house, and it is yours for one hour from that point, rather than say all the houses flipping at the top of the hour.

We'll find out soon enough. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.