PoT's and perception of over power.

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by rune_74, Sep 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Really.

Report me then....I haven't reported any of your attacks on me. But go ahead and report the thread. Try and turn the community against me because you don't like what I said and if so...how welcoming is this community?

2. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

Would the option for POTs to come with or without the power to evict not be a compromise ?

Xandra7 likes this.
  3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I haven't attacked you Rune. I've simply called a spade a spade. This thread is a horrible mess of lies and misdirection to serve an agenda I couldn't begin to understand.

The amount of nonsense in this thread reached such a high level I just couldn't stay silent anymore. I had to speak up. I don't think the thread needs locked, I just think people need to call out the ridiculous lack of logic here.

If you don't like POTs you don't have to go to them. You don't have to live in them and you don't have to visit them to complete the main story line. There's no problem here, there's just a ton of silly questions and concerns that have little to do with reality.

4. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

One way around this is to have contracts that the PoT owner and renter can agree on....that way it isn't as easy to remove a renter. Meaning a person can rent it for a certain amount of time and be protected. Now, if it is a TOS issue let Port deal with it.

Xandra7 likes this.
  5. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Everyone is aware of how you think now Baron, you have made it quite clear that you don't think there should be any rules.

It is shameful the level of power you think you have.

6. Drocis the Devious

I don't have any power Rune. If you don't like POTs you don't have to go to them. You don't have to live in them and you don't have to visit them to complete the main story line. There's no problem here, there's just a ton of silly questions and concerns that have little to do with reality.

7. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

Well lets make a POT. I will help fund it, try to find others to help and you run it until the "provisional" government is able to be replaced in a way that you choose together.

8. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree, thanks for arguing it in such a respectful manor.

9. Drocis the Devious

Wait, are you saying that if you don't like POTs you DO have to go to them?

Because I don't think we could possibly disagree on this could we?

If you don't like POTs you don't have to go to them. You don't have to live in them and you don't have to visit them to complete the main story line.

10. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I get what your saying mbomber, I do. It is awesome that you want to work with us on this.

Now, in that vein do I think I would make a good PoT administrator? Probably not. I'm not even sure how we would set up a government that would allow it to be fair. At the moment we are so far from even doing that and making it work that I'm not sure how to do it.

It may come as a surprise to a lot of people, but I see good things from PoT's as well....I would like to be able to say they are great. But at the moment I see them as flawed in execution. I see to much potential for abuse....ask the devs what happened when they launched UO without rules in place...it was chaos. I was there. Granted this isn't as big an issue, but it is one we can solve with simple rules, ones that really shouldn't be causing such a fuss...

I realize you are also seeing this two pages of lashing out...honestly it's giving me a headache.

You do make me feel a bit better about this community.

Xandra7 likes this.
  11. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

This is a very interesting thread. The perception of POTs to me is far worse than them being Pay2Win, they are simply Pay2Grief. End of story.

I have had serious problems with how the POT system has been developed for quite some time with the biggest issue being the griefing ability to teleport and ban players out of a multiplayer version of zone who have not broken the Terms of Service of the game. Tons of potential abuses, exploits and plain grief for this ability. That is on top of the eviction ability POT owners have which you know will end in major drama and grief at some point.

I argued a lot of this in a hangout back in June, but it was also argued for months before that in the Dev+ forums. Here is the part of the hangout for the discussion:

There was a lot of goodwill for player towns because of UO, but what has been developed here is simply an unforced error.

Xandra7 likes this.
  12. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Thank god....was beginning to feel a bit alone here....I am watching the video now...

They have major exploits that anyone should be able to see...I'm at a loss as to why some say there are none.

Xandra7 likes this.
  13. Drocis the Devious

Yet if you don't like POTs you don't have to go to them. You don't have to live in them and you don't have to visit them to complete the main story line.

So isn't your problem, TEK, really that you want to go into a town and grief people but don't want them to have the power to ban you?

Btw, Rats' Net (my POT) will never ban anyone for any reason.

14. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Until you decide to do so....because there is no rules saying you cannot.

I say put rules in place, unless you can convince me that you should have mod powers.

15. Drocis the Devious

Until you decide to do what? I don't know what you're saying at all.

And there are rules in place...players can't ban you if you don't go into their POT. Which is exactly the same as houses. Players can't ban you if you don't try to go into their house.

Womby likes this.
  16. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

You say you won't, but what's stopping you from changing your mind? I can answer that...nothing other then your word. No control whatsoever.

A simple fix is to not allow you to do that.

(Before you get into your tirade, I'm not saying that you are going to do that...just that you can.)

17. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Wow, you nailed this back then. I wish I had watched this...pay2grief.

The worst part is what you said was actually suggested as an option...when someone gets banned from a town the rest of world should be told in a world post....what that would do is let all the other PoT owners know who to ban. This makes so much more sense now.

18. Drocis the Devious

Well that's true. I could totally change my mind. I won't, but you're correct that's my word.

So players could change their mind and decide they don't want to live in my POT.

There's no problem with that. My reputation is something that I will have to personally protect and build on. And I'm very clearly saying that I will NEVER ban a player for ANY reason. If I do something that makes that no longer true, players will certainly let me know it. I would expect players to leave my POT.

If I liked in a POT where the POT owner was a jerk or didn't live up to my expectations, I'd leave the POT too.

mbomber likes this.
  19. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

My problem is that there is going be town owners want to ability to get rid of what they perceive as griefers but end up being an actual griefer themselves.

There is also simply going to be griefers who own POTs and live up to their reputations. So all that goodwill perception of player towns from UO will be ruined.

20. Drocis the Devious

I've told everyone in the game that Rats' Nest will be happy to take in anyone that's been banned from another POT.

mbomber likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.