PoT's and perception of over power.

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by rune_74, Sep 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

The real answer? Immersion.

Why wouldn't the leader of a city be able to banish people?

Secondly, people want in game mechanics to support role play, such as dialog choices, enemies that die permanently, and realistic NPC schedules. Why wouldn't a simple mechanic like banishing from a town by the owner of said town be supported?

Finally, as has been stated ad nauseum, you don't need to go into the town. Don't use the town, no chance to be banned. Simple. It doesn't impede game play at all.

If Port did everything based on assumed perceptions (especially perceptions of people who aren't part of the community), we would have another mmo clone.

If you don't like the "advantage" PoTs give, don't go shopping there. Vote with your coin purse.

2. The Unwanted

The Unwanted Avatar

what about the real estate issue?

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  3. redfish

redfish Avatar

An immersive way to banish people would be to have town walls and a town gate and guards, not have an invisible wall around your city. Its like the first solution the devs made with invisible walls around your house vs. locking your front door. And then, for full immersion, players would also have a way to sneak in and get around the walls.

4. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

We will have to see. I bought a few add on lots but will not be selling them for money - I don't plan to sell them at all. I have 2 main intentions. Allowing a few players in need to live there at cost (pay the in game lot tax) is my first plan.
    Secondly, I recently decided I needed some to make small gardens and market square areas since the POT decoration numbers are so low. To make any open areas useful for players in Vanguard we need lots. I doubt we can afford this after taxation starts unless many hands help with the bills. Honestly it is a great worry for me now.

5. smack

smack Avatar

Yeah, this has been suggested before and it would lend itself towards how town designs were originally envisioned. Look at Owl's Head, where they specifically talked about how it was designed such that they used the mountains as protection from sieges on one side, while using various levels of wooden and stone walls for even more physical protection, and ultimately with Moon Towers providing magic protection of some kind. I've yet to see a POT design that keeps the core element and lore of the game in mind, much like how NPC towns are designed to co-exist with that lore and not just shrug it off / ignore it.

Not only that, now with all new POTs being forced to be connected via another POT, if you're banned from that POT that has overland map access, you're screwed and can't visit the connected POT that doesn't have overland map access. If we used the physical walls approach, the player can still enter the scene and just walk around the banned town's perimeter to reach the other POT entrance.

The current "ban" implementation is beyond stupid, it really boggles the mind how it can be seen as not being problematic in any way. There are tons of other issues mentioned in many other threads.

Ravicus Domdred and mbomber like this.
  6. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

just fyi... you can actually do that right now... build walls around the town and make sure the only way in is via one lot. Then change the restrictions on the lot.

Womby, Ravicus Domdred and mbomber like this.
  7. redfish

redfish Avatar

It would be great if POTs btw could have features like town walls in the first place :D

8. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

we don't fully know the details of the lottery yet. They have not said whether you have can have more than one chance or if everyone looking for a lot has an equal chance. We still need more details on this.

9. redfish

redfish Avatar

Can you do that with the decoration limits?

10. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

You can... I've tested it partially in my town using the tall fences for now. (didn't have enough to enclose the whole town just yet... but I did have enough to show that I could close it off and force players through a knight marshal tower (which makes for a cool looking gate keep.)

Budner, Ravicus Domdred and mbomber like this.
  11. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

That will be the limiting factor. I could with my town.. but I also cheated a little and used a few npc buildings that had no back doors to form part of the wall.

edit - plus I ran some walls across the back of a couple lots.

12. redfish

redfish Avatar

Not real town walls though the way you see in Owl's Head with battlements. Just wall-fences. But yea then the decoration limit is also a limiting factor, especially if you want other decoration in your town.

13. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

true for now... but I'm hoping they still release real town walls (and larger so you won't need as many.)

14. redfish

redfish Avatar

@smack ,

They could also make it so banned players are considers criminals in a city. That would mean, if they manage to sneak in despite what defenses the town has or doesn't have, they're open to being attacked by other players (and guards) even if the city isn't PvP.

EDIT: Or maybe 'outlaw' would make more sense as a title than criminal; either way.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  15. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

It's not fear mongering, and please don't try to blunt my claims by saying that.

It is true there is NO control at all on PoT's. None. No rules they have to follow in regards to admin power. Anyone should be able to figure out people will abuse a system such as this.

Xandra7, Ravicus Domdred and mbomber like this.
  16. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Yikes I never even thought of that...banned from the overland PoT and can't access the PoT with no overland access...

I'm at a loss as why anyone wouldn't want some checks and balances applied to a PoT....I have yet to hear one good reason why not.

smack, Atmosfear, wagram and 2 others like this.
  17. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

If would be cool if the Guards could drag them off to cells and that banned players was stuck there for minutes on the first offense then dragged out and thrown into a dung heap. 10 for second offence, 20 for the 3rd, etc. The guards will need some dogs to help them i think.

edit: im joking

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
    Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  18. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

Everyone with a lot gets to place before the game releases with 30% free to get.
    The Lottery (if that's what its to be) is a further restriction on Backers with no Lot Deed and new Players that come in at Launch. So if I put in 10hrs a week of gaming and someone logs in for 1 hour a week, they have as much chance to get a lot as me.
    Lot Deeds should always available from an NPC even when Lots are all gone, If I have the gold I should be able to buy a lot ready for someone Leaving the game or decay through not paying rent.
    In UO that's how it was done, kept it FAIR everyone with a Deed could place whenever they found a space.

This is Down to The DEV's ,DEV+ or Both when the decision was made to allow players the right to own and place more than 1 house within the game.
    Multi Plot owner will never allow the DEV's to put it right and return to ONE House placed per Player. So once again the rest of the Backers and anyone that may decide to buy the game are left with no real incentive to actually put any time in Playing the game.

Its not Just POT's or perception of Power, some of the Big Backers in DEV+ are building a game to suit themselves using the Power of the $.

Xandra7, mbomber and rune_74 like this.
  19. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

You should give examples of that if you have them. I've been here from the start and I haven't seen that.

Womby, mbomber and cartodude like this.
  20. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I can look at this thread and see how the dog piling happens, if you suggest something that will limit their power a lot show up to label you as a trouble maker and bash your opinions. Basically trying to control the direction the game takes.

Not one time has anyone given a good reason that control shouldn't be put on pots, yet there has been numerous character shots and a dismissals in this thread alone.

mbomber likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.