A theory I've been pondering

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by Alexandra Cornfellow, Feb 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

This seems fun! Sure it has piqued my interest. MOAR!

Time Lord and Jivalax Azon like this.
  2. Selene

Selene Avatar

Yes, me too, please. :D

3. Alexandra Cornfellow

Alexandra Cornfellow Avatar

Hi Katrina,

It is now time for contemplation and reformulating the SAT. We've learned some things:

1. Some folks began using a name many years ago and continue using it. This can derail the Sobriquet Age Theory in some cases.
    2. Locality creates variance. For example, folks growing up in one part of the world can demonstrate more savvy and maturity in their naming than their counterparts elsewhere.
    3. The same seems to be true for education level and experiences--for example an 17 year old who has a proclivity for literature is less likely to choose CaNdyPaNts than one who prefers bass fishing.

These and other factors need to be incorporated and tested. My path is clear...

4. Alexandra Cornfellow

Hi Selene,

I thing you may be younger than your name would indicate. You like to read. You enjoy sports--perhaps you have been involved in managing a high school or college team? Theres a 60% chance you are male. And you are in your upper 20s :cool:

5. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Try me!

6. Alexandra Cornfellow

Hi Kara,

Well, you are obviously a big Ultima fan, this puts you up in your mid 40's. This is further supported by using the correct case for your name, ie. not kara brae or KAra BrAe. You are a cat lover and probably have a couple of adult kids. Your favorite color is blue and you enjoy reading fantasy literature. However, as I've indicated, the theory is in its infancy :cool:

Cheers,
    Cornfellow

7. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Right except for the age (older), color and cats. We have a cat in the family, but I don't like cats more than any other animal (grey wolves, for example) :D

I'm curious about one particular aspect of your theory: Why would a young person prefer to stick capital letters in the middle of names?

8. Alexandra Cornfellow

The 'why' will come later as a physiological exercise after the theory has been developed further. I think that computer programmers tend to prefer first letter caps for each word\name without spaces. Engineers, teachers, and *aahm* the more seniors among us tend towards names like ours. Male kids tend towards names with drug related or sexual innuendo--I just ran by a guy named Percoset (19, overweight and lonely). It seems twenty-somethings prefer to jam capitals all over the place. Perhaps its a deep-seated longing to be different--to stand out from the crowd. These are all things that fascinate me and I plan to continue this sociological journey throughout our years in Novia :)

9. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

Ok Alexandra Cornfellow, my turn if you please.

10. Alexandra Cornfellow

Hi Grave,

You are another interesting variation. You are certainly male, this would be obvious even if you didn't state it in your profile. You are probably mid-thirties and have a philosophical bent. I would guess you are in the IT business, perhaps security or law enforcement? Oh, and you may be partial to motorcycles...

Cheers,
    Cornfellow

Time Lord, Jivalax Azon and Spoon like this.
  11. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

I have loved this thread and the comments. I do have 2 factors that should be figured into the theory IMO.

Most people here are of an older crowd with discretionary funds to spend on an unfinished game and (mostly) the patience to wait for completion. And, they are the ones responding to this thread, not the PerKaset crowd.

Also, those who choose names from books or movies have certain characteristics. Sadly we will see Drist and Spock and Conan in game. I must admit to a certain distaste for plagerized names ... and that probably says as much about me as my name and posts.

12. Selene

Selene Avatar

Well, I like to read! And early 30's.. so that's the close! The rest? Not so much. :D Thanks!

13. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

Oooh Oohh!! Me next!!

14. Net

Net Avatar

I will give this a try, sounds fun.

15. Alexandra Cornfellow

Hehe, I plead guilty to playing it a little fast and loose with the dubious personality insights. I'm really just interested in the relationship of choice of avatar name to age, gender, and possibly occupation.

16. Alexandra Cornfellow

Hi Mordaki,

Single names present a problem, yours is moderately sophisticated and indicates gentility and thoughtfulness, I'm gonna go with 25-26, male, and perhaps in the entertainment industry.

Time Lord, Jivalax Azon and Mordakai like this.
  17. Alexandra Cornfellow

Well Net, we have added a corollary that names ending in a consonant are generally male. Net is very short which may indicate a desire to economize and be somewhat frugal. I would guess 30-something with an IT or economics background. And you may have collected matchbox cars when you were a kid.

Cheers

18. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

If you are still in a guessing mood, feel free to try my name.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  19. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Please add me to the list for further evaluation based upon my Avatar's name.

I have my own strategies to build a profile. Show me yours and I'll show you mine.

Alexandra, would you like the profile I built of your Avatar's name posted? I can PM if you prefer. Not wanting to take away from your research in anyway. I suspect my methods are quite different.

Great topic btw, thanks.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  20. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

Close! 40 Male Midwest been my gaming name since pen and paper mid 1980's. No education past high school. Would give the shirt off my back in the rain to anyone who needed it. I work in the Logistics industry for Caterpillar INC worlds largest Mining and off road equipment manufactures.

Keep up tests!! I'm liking it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.