Cannibalism Game Mechanics, pt. 1 of 2

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by crossbowsoda, May 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

You may want to check your numbers. Just out of idle curiosity, I went and did my own count. I get 13 who are either neutral or you can't really tell for sure from their posts if they're for, against, neutral, or ambiguous. 11 totally opposed. 25 who are for it, or 26 if you count the "other" Time Lord but I'm still not totally convinced he's not the same person.

But whatever. I'd be willing to bet that most who would be against this don't even bother reading such a thread, much less posting in it. And then since some people avoid the topic altogether, others get the idea it means it's popular. lol. Such as this thread with someone posting that since there's only a few in this thread against, that somehow equates to the majority of players being for it. lol. Well, I wasn't going to post in this thread myself because I had already given my opinion in the other thread and because I think the whole thing is just stupid. Sorry, just my opinion. But I decided to anyway.

So here's my one post in this thread just so my absence isn't taken as an endorsement of this subject. Not that I think anyone missed me. :) (and only because some have already thought the absence of those against means everyone is for it). I think the whole subject is not only disgusting, I think it's a sort of ghoulishness right up there with the idiotic zombie movies where the zombies lurch around saying 'brains!! brains!!" It would be a complete turn off to a whole lot of people and would add absolutely nothing of value to the game. Adding things people want is fine as long as it doesn't offend and drive away others. Ok, you guys, I'm out of here. **waves** :)

2. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

Sure, thanks for the free bump. ;)

Edit: the OP received another upvote after you'd made your post, putting your tally up to 27.

My numbers reflected support received via private conversations as well - sorry if I did not mention that.

3. herradam

herradam Avatar

I fully support the idea of cannibalism. If you can opt out of seeing this mechanism performed then there is no reason for opponents to deny those who want it.

4. Lady Zita

Lady Zita Avatar

U believe the devs would implement that? I mean it sounds fun but, lol, cant imagine them let us do that stuff.

5. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

What importance is the degradation of an opponent to cannibalism? I mean if you killed an opponent and a duplicate of his body appeared in a cannibal hex somewhere for dismemberment while the defeated went and got a rez, returning to his intact body to reclaim possessions, would the cannibal be satisfied? Is the interaction and display with the vanquished really the draw of cannibalism, or is it the use of body parts for imaginary culinary endeavors?

6. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    The way I see it, it would be just like looting a corpse for anything else, such as gold or what not. I do not think it is necessary to have animation showing the looting process, I guess I would not be opposed to it but it is not necessary. It goes hand in hand with the "corpse trophies" which we know are going to be in game. Yes I hope that the body parts can and will be used for crafting, via alchemy, weapons/armor, and cooking.

7. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

I don't see why not - you may loot the corpse, you may take corpse trophies... this isn't much different.

There are many negatives to the act, and the victim can't see it.

If I were the victim, I'd rather be cannibalized with no way of knowing, than see my corpse danced over/defamed as I ghostrun away...

That's just me, though.

8. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

Currently, there's no way for your opponent to know, aside from being told.

If tge victor chooses to tell them victim that their corpse is being cannibalized, then the existence of any mechanic becomes irrelevant.

That said, the purpose of this ability is not to degrade - we did our best to strip any possibility of humiliation fron it.

Sounds fine to me, so long as I can harvest components/reap the associated benefits from my kill.

There is no display/animation for either PC or NPC. It was suggested that victims should not know that it is happening/has happened in order to prevent embarrassment.

As of right now, it is an item-acquisition/karmic-status-driven/buff-based endeavor for players who would choose this style of play.

We talk about the many possibilities of harvesting components (and their purposes) from PC & NPC corpses in the document.

There are both benefits and drawbacks, each scaling with the cannibal's desire to consume.

9. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Crossbowsoda said:

"There is no display/animation for either PC or NPC. It was suggested that victims should not know that it is happening/has happened in order to prevent embarrassment.

As of right now, it is an item-acquisition/karmic-status-driven/buff-based endeavor for players who would choose this style of play.

We talk about the many possibilities of harvesting components (and their purposes) from PC & NPC corpses in the document.

There are both benefits and drawbacks, each scaling with the cannibal's desire to consume."

Guess it is time to re-read the document.

10. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

Please do! :)

Listed in a spoiler beneath the original post is the first part of the document's second installation - necrotic reagents.

11. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I like this part of the "Hangout of the Avatar" 9.27.13 Richard talks about how there will npc's that will react to you based on your choices. If you are good some npcs will react to you for your "goodness" (for lack of a better word). And there will be npc's that will react to your "nefariousness". I like it. :) Start at about 10:15 on the video.

12. Womby

Womby Avatar

Indeed. Star Citizen has toilets. See what $49 million can get you?

13. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

14. Countcristodemonte

Countcristodemonte Avatar

If you are concerned about character degradation then you shouldn't be playing a combative violent medieval video game.

This isn't Martha Stewart living. Do you have any knowledge about actual historical events? If you have a problem because somehow it's offensive to have someone "degrade" our character then you should avoid all combat and chat features. It's just a set of pixels. When someone dies in a movie you know they don't really get killed right?

It seems like such a ridiculous argument and hipocritical. Do you really expect devs to sanitize a game of all features you may have a problem with? Guess what I have a problem with language in movies yet I don't expect them to change the whole industry for me.

You are willing to have features removed for your satisfaction based off of some illogical out of touch expectation that makes zero sense?
    It makes way more sense to have it ingame for trophies and reagent harvesting as well as a ton of role play value in accordance with the virtue system.

If it's that big of a deal then Say your character is a virtuous do gooder that has an intense problem with corpse harvesting. Well instead of expecting them to remove it for everyone just to appease a handful of people the logical and symbiotic helpful thing to do for the good of the community is to role play a person who protects the perceived sanctity of a corpse defamation.

Where does your beleif end? What about medical procedures or autopsies? I cannot wrap my head around the insanity of the fervent anti community selfishness. It's astounding

They never cater to the minority or combat and other things would have never gotten to where they are. Sometimes you just don't get your way no matter how right or strongly u beleive you are

15. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I agree with your energy, and your premise, but your delivery could use some work :). People are in a shell and they do not want to go outside it, and to push the limits of THIER normality will always breed opposition. Honey is required, and smooth talk to abate the zeelots that abode in strict cultural adherence.

16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Both sides of an argument are usually happier when they don't try to analyze and label each other.

17. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

Could not have said it better myself, my friend. However, I am hungry -- Care to dine on one of our favorites? ;)

18. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I said it WAY worse and deleted it.

Tahru, Amberraine and Jivalax Azon like this.
  19. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

Interesting that this old thread keeps being dug up and some people still don't like the idea of some characters being cannibals ... but necro-posting is ok. Hey I'm for it all! I won't eat/harvest human parts, as I've said all along, but I was happy to help Crossbowsoda in any way I could with his fantastic document on the subject. I also try not to post on threads that have been resolved for months, but here I am again. :) Well, it gives me another chance to say Crossbowsoda did a great job in putting together a document on cannibalism and submitted it. If anyone is interested in the subject and the ideas generated, you should contact him. And that is the great part about this dev team. We can submit ideas. Will it be implemented? Who knows and almost certainly not in E1. But it may find a way in someday.

Well, gotta run, need to watch Obama's presidential campaign talks and give my opinions on why he would or wouldn't make a good president.

20. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

And digs up his own dead and rotting 6 month old thread with a 3-word, off topic comment.

Jivalax Azon and crossbowsoda like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.