Cooking

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Myth2, Aug 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

Anybody know anything about the culinary arts in SotA? The skill was virtually useless in UO (at least until tribal paint and magic fish pies), but it was among my favorite crafting skills nonetheless. While I'd like to see cooking have some value in SotA (hunger/thirst system anyone?), I don't think it should be blown out of proportion as it often is in games where food heals health. Restoration of fatigue (and/or occasionally mana) is arguably the main thing food should do, and eating should be something which requires a moment so that it can't be done in the middle of a fight. Anyway, these are just my opinions, and this thread is for general thoughts, wishes, and comments on cooking in SotA. Hell, if you're feeling especially creative, you can even post irl recipes. :)

2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

About all we really know so far is the devs want something useful and balanced. There hasn't been much discussion. I think we can be relatively sure that cooking will be part of the regular crafting system. There's been no indication just how in depth it might be though that I'm aware of.

3. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

I'm glad someone of such experience as yourself offered his knowledge to this thread. I guess the aim of this thread will shift to ideas about what cooking should be in SotA. The trend seems to be that cooking is toward the bottom of the list of vital crafting skills to implement in games. So, if you're looking to be a chef of some sort in SotA, your ideas and contributions to the development process may be key (meaning you should post them!).

4. redfish

redfish Avatar

A lot of things I think you shouldn't be able to do during the middle of a fight. Like changing armor. And guzzling down dozens of potions at once, unless you have space between yourself and the enemy combatant.

As much as I enjoyed combat in Skyrim, one of the bad things about combat in the game is you could press space to pause to your inventory, then drink 20 potions of healing and change your suit of armor. It was like cheating.

5. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

In addition to the 420+ bad things about skyrim, yes I would have to agree. Cooking, among many other actions, should be restricted or limited in combat. Come to think of it, such a topic is worthy of its own thread. Perhaps I'll post one up in a bit.

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I think one of the reasons there hasn't been a lot of discussion is that most of the focus goes into what people think are "big" features and hot topics. PvP, housing.. crafting weapons and armors. magic systems.. where cooking is an every day and often mundane activity we do in real life every day.

I myself am a big fan of stuff like cooking skills if there is real meaning behind it. The beauty of the crafting system as is, is that cooking is a natural extension to what's already in place. All it really needs is content to fill it out and of course some skill design.. ie what are the benefits to having a high level of skill as opposed to a low level. How does the skill interact with similar skills like brewing or alchemy?

Cooking should have some significance though. There's some people who want hunger in the game.. others want to run taverns.. I think even at one point someone had brought up an idea that drew me to the possibility of having cooking competitions. I don't remember exactly what it was but there was something.. oh right.. we were talking about taste testing in UO to ID poisons..

I think it'd be cool if food had a quality.. possibly flavor component. I had brought up some ideas about cooking in the Crafting Brainstorm thread I believe about how you could use the "same recipe but with different components".. ie: if you were making a pie.. you could use the same recipe but with different fillings to make different pies and I was thinking also something about flavor ingredients like herbs and spices..

rild likes this.
  7. redfish

redfish Avatar

/bakes blackbirds into a pie

8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.