Crowdsourcing Independent Game Development: A Design Process

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Feioka, Apr 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feioka

Feioka Avatar

I was quite captivated in the crowdsourcing efforts for Shroud of the Avatar and so I authored this Empirical Paper on crowdsourcing in relation to independent game studio design, specifically Portalarium Studios.

Abstract

This paper focuses on the impact of product development of independent game design through
    the utilization of a process known as crowdsourcing. Crowdsourcing recruits individuals or large
    groups from outside an industry or firm for the intention of innovation, product development,
    and design. An example of the process is applied to independent game studio Portalarium, whom
    has focused on the integration of crowdsourcing at the core of its business model in the
    development of ‘Shroud of the Avatar.’ A key underlying factor to generating interest in design
    processes of product development has significant correlation to motivation. Therefore, a
    framework for motivational theory examines contributing factors to why individuals participate
    within crowdsourcing initiatives...(Read more.)

Source
    http://edenitestrategist.wordpress.com/academic-papers/

enderandrew likes this.
  2. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I'd be curious to see a study of varying different crowd sourcing assets.

Wasteland 2 accepted crowd sourced assets as well for example, and Star Citizen is holding a competition to allow the best designed ships from the community into the game.

Many crowd funded games allow the highest backers to contribute names and small design elements.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.