Experience point loss has removed the incentive to adventure and explore.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FrostII, Aug 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Considering you specifically targeted a brand new critter and you took a "group" of player to go test it out, you have manipulated the situation to suit "your" whishes.

The point is Decay is breaking the game - it is everyone knows it (even developer) they just cannot figure out a way to affectively fix it.

FrostII likes this.
  2. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Why i decay breaking the game?
    Imbalance is breaking the game!
    the power gap between players possible is breaking the multiplayer game!
    the magic skillsystem and reistancies and such is breaking the game!

Everyone who complains about Death Decay should post what he loose plus additional Info of AdvLevel and total Pool.

People who complain to loose 0,5% of their Pool XP and are Level 100+ are breaking the game, because of mimimi.

there is only one solution - hard cap - everything else is bs and additionally diametral effects back and creating dependencies and weaknesses instead of all op Chars.
    that is breaking the Game, to be correct, the multiplayer game!

Lord Halvard Fimbultyr and eli like this.
  3. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

I don't understand how Decay is breaking the game. It's a penalty of dieing. It's like saying death should have no penalties. I think everyone is exaggerating the impact of their penalties. It's really easy to get up to 100 .... i am already 93. If i die it's no big deal ....

4. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

isn't it somewhat ridiculous - what should we go to explore, squirrels?
    and btw i saw my mate Ronni in Ulfheim and wanted to surprise him to hunt together and the old pirate was already in a group of players, so i joined them.
    i know a lot more who don't exaggerate loosing some XP - the people who loose 100k + have minimum 1 Million Pool, if not 10's of Millions.
    Even i have 1 Million Pool by just playing along and never focussed on XP grind.

The real causes because people stop playing is their feelings about loosing something they "worked" for.
    But i cannot support this, because
    1. i think its about playing a game and not working
    2. for working MP grouping and PvP we would rather need a har cap and lots of restrictions and this softcap isn't hard enough, it doesnt work as a softcap - i would consider to make it 10 times harder!!!
    3. the arguments that decay has stopped people adventuring and grouping is wrong. It's true that i die more often in groups, but i neverthelesse play in groups if i am invited or someone wants to join me. And that is true for many players.
    The disappointed are just allways louder while the satisified people just play and have fun.

Black777Lodge likes this.
  5. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

Which if I'm not mistaken is exactly why they put it in. To "take the sting" out of mid level char deaths.

Numa and Stundorn like this.
  6. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Hey it looks like we're ready for another round of extreme counter arguments that ignore the whole discussion.

You guys want to have the last word ? Have it... but let the thread die for Chris's sake... you have repeated yourselves so much that its silly now.

These arguments up there, we heard them at least 10 times over 40 pages, sometimes in the same page. You guys are ignoring each other (how is that even possible) while we that try to find solutions to this problem have built upon each other ideas and for the most part remember everyone's contribution, except mine, since I don't seem to vibrate at the same frequency than others.

Besides the thread is so long people can't even be bothered to read it again and realize they been repeating themselves like some robots.

@Berek I think we went around the subject here, the pro decay camp says the same thing since page 1 and the no decay camp is being ignored whatever way they try to express their solutions, people won't even acknowledge they made an effort. Not productive anymore, please consult @FrostII about locking it.

7. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Mac, we've had plenty of high level players come in and state officially that the decay penalty does not affect them at all. Some make more xp than others sure... but they're still dominating. This is the third thread in a few months where we have different high level players stating the same thing.

Say what death decay does to you and keep to the OP if you want to be taken seriously, instead of inventing new disparaging comments that surf borderline on the forum rules.

FrostII and Mykll like this.
  8. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Did not say decay, said soft caps.

9. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I know what you mean, but when we start like that its hard to separate between truth and hasty logic. Its been part of the argument in the sense that the soft cap is the EXTREME amount of XP required to go past 120 in skills, death decay was *pitched* as the soft cap, yet it accomplishes nothing for very high level powerplayers. We actually went over this 2-3 times... we're trying to end this weave as its clearly CLEARLY a taboo issue that will go down in the MMO history books.

Mykll likes this.
  10. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I've asked and sounds like we're working on some adjustments, though I'm not sure how much it will really change some perspectives here. Stay tuned for details on those changes...

11. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

"When you write a poem, if you are comparing with somebody else, what happens to your poem? You do not write a poem if you compare yourself with Keats, with Shelley or any other great poet; you then cease to write at all. You write because you have something to say. You may put it badly, what you write may not have the right rhythm, your words may not be rich, easy, overflowing; but you have something to say and what you say - no matter how stupid it is - is as important as what has been said by Keats or Shelley or Shakespeare. If you compare, you cannot write.

The real inventor, the real creative person is not comparing, he is just acting; he does not say `I must be as good as Edison or Rama', he works."

Can you see this mentality at work here?

12. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Thank you !

At least if the curve is adjusted to less impact casual players such as @FrostII, it would be a great open minded gesture on your part :)

Don't forget many high level players also seem to feel the same, that they will not participate in a game where they are being set back in any way, since they are achievers the only way to make their death meaningful would be to force them an even HEAVIER penalty on their further progress that takes a radically different form, it MUST be a challenge, a mini-game or some quest that will allow them, if they perform well enough on set parameters to dodge or recup their penalty, or perhaps get a different form of reward in compensation. It must feel like one way or the other, they have not lost their time playing.

Then and only then they will accept harsh ultima like consequences and begin to really appreciate this classical gameplay.

13. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

This is great as a philosophy, but we're on the verge of convergence here :) When I write, when I create I will always look to predecessors, incessantly my brain is computing especially the errors they made, so I learn from them and the consciousness does not have to start from scratch.

Besides, people are constantly inspired by the masters... when you create you try to respect subconsciously or even unconsciously their type of perspective, their sense of rhythm because it is shared among them and a form of ethic or artistic hygiene.

Take star trek for example, each series is completely unique, yet there is a guiding thread behind all them and they respect the attention to specific lighting styles, travellings and theatrical sense.

14. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Inspiration is not comparison.

"the power gap between players possible is breaking the multiplayer game!"

This is comparison.

15. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Clearer now what you mean thank you for using the forum quote function :p

Inspiration brings comparison regardless if you admit it to yourself or not... the comparison that arises from the ego is not the same that comes from soul, thats for sure but perhaps you just need a better word like : discrimination, pertaining to the artistic process :)

16. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

17. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

they have there 20 pages of them here the ones who do not care are the new polayers who is does not affect and you pals with 100+ GMs who do not car since they mack it back in minutes.

Middle of the road players are the ones who are affected and the one who will makle up the base of the game

look at the previous 20+ pages

Ok I am doe here this thread has over 30 pages of replies and prob just as many already removed -

Sorry but Sycophants are going to sit by and watch the game fold, normal players are going to walk away because they are just tiered of the crap.

New players will last a month and when they reach the middle of the bell curve they too will just walk away.

Not gonna bother looking back here thread is completely pointless at this point

Agree / Do Not is all irrelevant, in a year we will see.

18. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

And you talk about artistic liberty ? :p lemme laugh hehe

19. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Ok, back to the OP........

When it comes to WHO the death penalty hurts the most, it comes down to this:

It's NOT the majority of solo players as they have no need to take chances. They are not farming bosses because they are solo, and are content to go about their solo business doing other things. These people are not the majority by any stretch of the imagination, and are not the ones who will make or break - much less sustain -this game.

It is NOT YET the very casual players - most of whom have not reached sufficient total skill levels to be effected sufficiently to notice it - but who most certainly WILL in their future.

It IS MMO-typical group players - these are the people who fight and quite often die to the harder mobs. These are the people, like my guild, who - until this death penalty - got together every night to go on some new adventure, to explore the world of Shroud. But now - we don't. Every night when we get together someone finally says "What are we going to do tonight ?" This used to be a fun question and it used to be met with a variety of suggestions, and generally included challenging the difficult.
    Nowadays, "crickets"..... Our adventuring - our spirit of exploration - has been replaced by a general sadness and feeling of sheer disbelief that Port has implemented this ludicrous, adventure killing death penalty.

For us MMO-typical people who have the most fun exploring and adventuring - this death penalty is a killer. Having to spend a good part of what little time we have every evening just making up for dying during the past nights adventure has taken all of our fun away from us, and there is the distinct possibility that it will drive us from Shroud. There is not one among us who doesn't simply hate this loss of time, time that will have to be spent killing mobs that won't kill us (you know, the ever so boring grind) just to be back to where they were before they died. Our time is important to us and we feel seriously pissed when we are forced to redo an hour or more of raising xps.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  20. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Just to say,

I am one of those mid levels.
    Somewhat around 75 and only a few skills at 80.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.