Fullscreen option problem?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ConjurerDragon, Jan 29, 2024.

1. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

Since last year I tried for the first time again the fullscreen option when starting the game with Steam

Usually
    "Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues spielen" (spielen = play in german)
    and now instead
    "Borderless Fullscreen Mod"

Last year when I tried it once, it worked fine.

Problem: Now it´s not boderless. I have a small strip above and below the screen where my normal desktop can be seen. Somewhat less than 0,5 cm each.

The only technical change since last year is that I doubled the amount of RAM from 16 to 32 GB.

2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It's a sub-menu that has both options. Try switching it back.

3. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

Thankyou, but that was not the problem. I could switch it back to the normal windows (where the game has the windows headline) without problems.
    The problem was only that while using the borderless fullscreen mod, it was not using the full screen.

4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

What benefit does "borderless fullscreen" provide (note that I don't use Windows)?

5. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

The normal Windows window has a toolbar at the top of around 0,5 cm. with the minimize/restore/close commands in the upper right. Borderless is assumed to use the full monitor from side to side for the program.

6. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Borderless fullscreen is just windowed mode with no border.

Advantages are that as its not taking over the whole display like proper fullscreen does, if you have other screens you can do stuff on them without the game minimising

Disadvantages over full on fullscreen is that as the graphics engine hasn't been given full control of the whole display, there can be a slight performance hit (less than used to be back when PCs were less powerful), and some graphics engines will only turn on some features in proper fullscreen mode

To answer the OP - I've been using borderless fullscreen since forever, but never played through Steam, and never seen the issue you describe

Barugon likes this.
  7. Morkin

Morkin Bug Hunter

Enter the properties when you are ingame, select video and select the highest possible resolution and it works without borders.