Game Graphics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rob Craig, Apr 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

The real problem is the fact that people have a problem with the graphics in the first place .. the look of this game is just as they are intending it to look minus fine tuning .. people that feel this game should even resemble Skyrim are on a totally different wavelength than what's being developed here
    I don't mean that in a derogatory way.. but I find it hard to swallow that gamers in this day and age either don't know or recognize games have different flavors.

2. Marcx

Marcx Avatar

omg it's awesome the character creator :O

3. Bob_Star

Bob_Star Avatar

Not sure I agree, Skyrim was released 3 years ago. Hardware has improved significantly in that time. Unity is capable of looking good if care is taken. I'm going to reserve judgement until things get further along and I can run things on full detail.

4. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Skyrim was developed 3 years ago on a reported $85 million dollar budget. They had 90 developers working on that project for multiple years. SotA is going to have about 2 years of development with maybe $5-7 million dollars and about 30 developers.

The expectation that indie games have to exceed AAA games in graphics in unrealistic.

5. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Im running the game on a 6 year old PC and a old i think GTX 275 card or something or other for those that know ( i dont) and i have it always on fantastic settings. It really runs fine for me on this old hardware and a new laptop. I agree hardware has improved over the last few years as it always does, but i wouldn't be trying to design a game on a limited budget to try and match above average computers.

6. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

In the 90s Origin was famous for pushing the hardware limits with their games. Every time a new Wing Commander or Ultima was released you essentially had to upgrade you PC - and every time it was worth it :)

tradyblix likes this.
  7. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Yes i agree....trouble is im skint...i spent it all on a damn game ;)

Edit : Luckily i dont need to as it all runs just fine for me :)

8. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

* Waves Hand* This Game is not the Skyrim you are looking for ....

tradyblix likes this.
  9. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I love great graphics too. I also love a good story. I also like a challenge. I watch "It's a Wonderful Life" with James Stewart every year. It is a black and white film made in 1946. I enjoy it as much as watching modern films with the latest in technology.

Now, I am pretty old, and I try to understand the new world and fail at it quite frequently. So I imagine a trailer for "It's a Wonderful Life" vs. a trailer for "Gravity". Which film would the younger generation get excited about by watching the trailers? Which film would they ignore? Is it necessary to deliver great graphics technology in order to deliver a great story or great challenge? Perhaps so.

I play golf almost every day. The major golf associations are now talking seriously about increasing the size of the holes on the greens from the existing 4 inches to 15 inches in order to attract the younger generation. Are they serious??? I just cannot believe that the younger generation would give up the challenge of the game for a faster and easier alternative. Yet that seems to be the direction we are going.

LB loves the story, he loves the challenge. I wonder how he rates the importance of story, challenge, and graphics. My bet is that the graphics are only going to be good enough to deliver a monumental story, a story LB has been driven to deliver for these many years. So I am holding my breath that the graphics are good enough to generate enough capital that he can deliver his story. It is the story which will keep people playing long after the graphics become ancient.

10. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

really? increasing the size of golf holes to 15"? insanity. They may as well put the hole in the middle of a crater so as long as you get close it goes in.

The short-game is my favorite part of golf.

That being said, I don't care much for golf or sports of any type. Bowling is a bit better, climate controlled environments yay.

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  11. enderandrew

Better looking visuals only help immersion and attract a larger audience.

I'm sure Portalarium wants to make the best looking game they can, but resources are not infinite.

Kaisa likes this.
  12. Ryoken

Ryoken Avatar

What I saw in the little bit of R4 I could play looked fine. Had an old school MMO feel with some modern graphical polish on top. The only real improvements to the graphics I'd like to see is increased landscape fluff (grass, bushes, etc...).

Other than that I think the animations, character models, monster models/animations, textured, lighting, shading, and other graphical elements will improve over time as development moves on. As of right now it definitely looks like the systems (core of the game) are first priority, which they should be.

TL:DR - In my opinion the graphics are fine, will improve, and give the game a nostalgic feel that I think will be fantastic.

Khloec likes this.
  13. redfish

redfish Avatar

There's a difference between good looking visuals and high-tech visuals. Aesthetics != tech level.

A lot of the game looks great, even though its not cutting edge in terms of tech. There are a few things I hope they improve on, but I think the devs are on it.

14. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

If that was true Tracy Hickman and every other writer would be out of a job. ;)

15. enderandrew

Improve immersion, not solely are responsible for immersion.

And immersion in a virtual world does not replace great storytelling.

Lorimus likes this.
  16. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

And I hope they continue to improve but others that talk about different engines and saying it looks bad are not looking for immersion in the first place ........ IMHO.

Khloec likes this.
  17. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

Maybe not but they made Skyrim a single player RPG now they have made an MMO that can be worked on throughout its time.
    Will the Single player SotA compare to Skyrim or ESO.
    I expect the offline RPG to be a very polished and finished product. I don't expect Companions to turn up for the last chapter.

tradyblix likes this.
  18. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I have to say the new lighting adds a lot to the game and improves the graphics noticably.

19. Carlin the Druid Archer

Carlin the Druid Archer Avatar

I found the new lighting in R5 okay, but there was some loss of ambiance, such as from fireplaces... they have lost their 'warm glow' or is that just something on my computer? Can anyone post up screenshots of fireplaces so I can compare?

The world seemed a lot darker with the new lighting system (even during the day) but the graphics do come across much sharper and perhaps more aesthetically pleasing.

Jambo and Time Lord like this.
  20. enderandrew

The new lighting system is a work in progress.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.