Hangout of the Avatar ~ Crafting Discussion

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by FireLotus, Aug 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NeoProfit

NeoProfit Avatar

I realize this is a little late, but I felt I should add something here since I've recreated medieval ale on many occasions.

Without getting too long winded, for example, ale and beer historically have different connotations then they do in modern times.

Ale and Beer are both drinks made from malted grain, but beer is specific.
    Ale is ancient and can be unspiced(common fare) or spiced with gruit.
    Beer is spiced with hops and was primarily started to be produced in central Europe in the 13th century onward.
    (The British Isles didn't catch on until the 15th century)

Gruit was a mixture of various herbs that varied according to region but was primarily: Myrica Gale(Bog Myrtle), Yarrow, & Marsh Rosemary

Ale and Beer were always brown up until the 1700's because the process for making malt previously required burning wood, the smoke resulted in brown smoky flavored malt. Coke allowed grain to be malted lightly. Beer could not be brewed black really either since the drum roaster wasn't invented until 1817. The processes for producing ale and beer changed significantly as time went on...

Obviously, this is for a fantasy game so the limitations above don't necessarily apply(there is a table saw in the demo). The technology however played a role in why these specific drinks existed in the first place. If brewing is going to be a part of the game, then maybe it would be beneficial to know how technologically advanced the machinery can actually be. If modern brewing copper tanks are available, what fuel do they need? etc.

Miracle Dragon, rild and LoneStranger like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.